How can we explain it to those who have not experienced it?

Options
I keep seeing posts that have "I HATE exercise" and I wish I could explain to people how amazing your body can feel after good exersize hour. Right now am still on that high more than 3 hours later and feeling residual pleasure with every deep breath or movement. So light, strong, warm, aware of every muscle....

I used to hate exersize, and it took me a while of regular hard exersize with good trainers to get there, but now ILOVE it.

I wish I had better descriptive powers to convey this feeling to people.

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Do I "love" to work out? No. I LOVE being able to eat more. I "like" working out (which to be honest, is not something I ever thought I would say!). When I don't do it, I miss it. Running is quite the endorphin rush too.

If I can learn to like exercise, anyone can.
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I know! Even when I was 250 pounds, I played sports and loved working out. Even when I was unhealthy, I loved the feeling of pushing my body to it's limits. Getting my diet under control and losing the weight just opens up the door for my body to do more!

Never in a million years would I have thought it was possible to do a spin class, or run! I have now done a 4-hour spin challenge for charity and have completed a marathon. I have also advanced my tennis skills up 2 levels! I don't care if it's running, kettlebells, lifting heavy, boxing, or whatever. I cannot wait to see what my body can do next. It feels amazing!
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I run, generally 3-5 miles a day. I hate running the first mile. I love finishing the last mile. You are right. It is hard to explain.
  • cats847
    cats847 Posts: 131
    Options
    Some people just don't like working out, and that's all there is to it. I think some people simply do not experience the feeling you're talking about, for whatever reason it may be -- psychological, biological, etc.

Not everybody gets their endorphins from the same place and that's just how it is.
  • ThatOperaGirl
    ThatOperaGirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I never thought I'd love strength training as much as I do. I certainly never thought I'd (sometimes literally) leap out of bed at 5am so I could get my butt down to the gym. I can't say that I love the feeling of my muscles screaming at me towards the end of a set, but when I'm done, I feel strong and ready to take on the world. I think the thing I love most about it is that as I progress -- increasing my weights, seeing myself become leaner with more muscular definition -- I know that it 's all down to my own hard work. No one can do my training for me. My progress is a testament to my own determination and effort, and I take a lot of pride in that. It's a great feeling :smile:

Edited to add: That said, I think I've figured out by now that running is not for me. I've given it a good go, done C25K, but personally, I find it boring. I definitely think that everybody's got to find the style of exercise that they love, and it certainly won't be the same for everyone.
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I started triathlon training about a year ago and I have sort of a love hate relationship with the workouts. It is common to go through different phases while training. What is always consistent though is how great you feel when you reach your goals. That's what keeps me going. I don't think I could workout just to work out but I can definitely work out to improve my speed and stamina for race day.
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Well, I think you answered your own question! They just haven't experienced it. I don't get that high from exercise alone, but I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE racing. Seriously, I get giddy on triathlon race mornings and that post race high (especially when I've gotten a PR) can last me for a week. I enjoy cycling and I like running, but it's just not the same as racing. So I think it's just up to everyone to figure out what gets them going and chase that!
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    me to! Now I just don't feel right if I didn't get on the treadmill....& I can't eat as much....
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Some people just don't like working out, and that's all there is to it. I think some people simply do not experience the feeling you're talking about, for whatever reason it may be -- psychological, biological, etc.

Not everybody gets their endorphins from the same place and that's just how it is.

Agreed. I hate exercise, and every feeling that comes with it.
  • KeithPith1458
    Options
    I hate exercise, but i do it because it just has to be done.
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I've never gotten that high at all. I hate exercise, but I do it anyway because I know it's good for me and I do feel better. But getting all the feel good endorphins? No. I walk out of a good exercise class tired and ready to go to bed.
  • RunBrew
    RunBrew Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    It tough to explain a feeling to anyone. Especially if it 'takes a while to feel it' yourself.

I *LOVE* to run, but quite honestly, The first mile or three is almost always miserable for me. I either go out at the pace I want to hold for the whole run, and suffer, or I go out all comfy-like and deride my self for running such a slow pace and trashing my 'overall pace with the first few weak miles.
    It can be impossible to explain the endorhpin high when you have to add in the caveat 'But you'll feel like crap for the first 20-25 minutes.
    It's not usually until around mile 5-6 that I realize I've been off daydreaming in my head and that I now feel like it's practically effortless. That's usually when my real 'run' begins and I hammer out the next half dozen miles back home.

Edit: I lifted A LOT during my last tour in Iraq. Like 6 days a week. I was a gym rat. If I wasn't on duty in the Aid Station, I was eating, or in the gym. I weighed 185 and could bench 250. I lived on a compound so small that I could throw a rock over the entire place. Suffice to say I didn't run much.
    Despite some epic workouts, I've never even come close to getting the same high from lifting as I do from a run. Some people just don't get the same rush. I always just felt swollen and exhausted afterwards. I feel all fired up after I go climbing, but not lifting. It's just a mental thing.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Monday i did the most amazing HIIT routine on Fitness Blender. I was EXHAUSTED and EXHILARATED at the same time. It was the absolute best feeling and as I did each interval, I felt like my arms and legs would fall off, but I pushed and pushed and finished each one. It was amazing! I know, I said that, but I can't WAIT to do it again.
  • QuincyChick
    QuincyChick Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Can someone tell me what exerciZe is?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Can someone tell me what exerciZe is?

It's in the dictionary, right next to "pedantic".
  • pavrg
    pavrg Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    As someone who was in shape, got out of shape, had to get back into shape again...

Working out while in shape feels great. You always work toward a new personal record and you feel good once you get into the groove. You never feel sore, you just occassionally feel a little worn if you pushed yourself hard.

Re-starting or starting a workout routine sucks, and it takes a lot of mental discipline to get through the first month. You feel like you're going to die doing a pathetic amount of exercise, and then you're sore as hell for the first few weeks.

So you'll never be able to 'explain it' to someone who feels really crappy for wheezing after running a lap around a track. You just have to acknowledge that it blows goats and that they have to push through it for 4-8 weeks.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I hate exercise, and every feeling that comes with it.

This is just sad. Exercise is a wonderful wonderful thing. I hope someday you will give it another try.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    It is funny.... before I started running, which led me to the gym for weights and cardio, the thought of doing such things made me cringe. While I was active growing up, I did things I enjoyed, like figure skating. Two years ago while signing up for my gym membership, my friend and I were talking/figuring out when we could cancel and what the damage of that would be -- little did I know that I would go every week for 2 years and keep it going after that!

But, it is absolutely unreal how great I feel after I workout and how proud I am of myself for pushing myself to the max. I feel fantastic, I have more energy, etc. but the big one is how much of a stress reliever it is and how great it can be for working thru your thoughts/problems, etc. Mind you maybe that is easier while running than lifting hehe.

None the less, I can't imagine exercise not in my life now, love it!
  • lngrunert
    lngrunert Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I've never gotten that high at all. I hate exercise, but I do it anyway because I know it's good for me and I do feel better. But getting all the feel good endorphins? No. I walk out of a good exercise class tired and ready to go to bed.

^^^Ditto. After three months of working out regularly (3-4x a week), I mostly feel tired and sore. Never felt an endorphin rush from any kind of physical activity in my life except dancing, and that's a creative/performance high.

But I know it's making me healthier, and it allows me to eat delicious food and drink wine without gaining weight, so it's totally worth the effort and time. I mean, I hate my job, but gives me a paycheck so that my family and I can have a lifestyle that we enjoy and are used to. Just like I wouldn't go to work if I didn't get paid, I wouldn't work out if there was a way to reach my goals without depriving myself.