Just Walk Ideology

Options
I find myself looking in the mirror and disgusted that I left myself gain back almost 20 lbs from last fall. It isn't the fact that I can't lose weight that has plighted me thus far, but the lack of self-control and respect that I should have for my personal well-being. Well, enough is enough, I am not going to subject myself to the torture any longer!

For me, the assistance this program offers in managing my caloric intake is a wonderful aspect, the fact that it can be accessed from my mobile device as well as my computer is even better. The true devotion I have to weight loss is exercise. The devotion to reach into my soul and say, "I am going to do this NOW!" is lack luster to say the least. So, perhaps baby steps...

My goal is to take 20 minutes out of my day, whether it be around the block, around the mall or store, or at a favorite park, and walk. To me, since I don't have to go very far to achieve this, like to a gym, there can be no excuse for not accomplishing my task. The fact that it can be done indoors keeps me from blaming the weather for failing as well.

Overall, I know that walking is just as good as any cardio-exercise because if I walk briskly enough it raises my heart rate, it is low-impact on my joints, preventing injury, and it will tone muscle while improving my body coordination. The only cost is a pair of good walking shoes to avoid pain and injury.

I hope anyone else who is lacking this motivation to exercise will join me in taking the time to JUST WALK, even for a few minutes each day. Every little bit helps and I find myself feeling a little more accomplished as I meet my dietary goals as well as my physical ones.

Replies

• Shel2Peru
    Shel2Peru Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Friend me and we can walk "together".........I finally got up and did the Leslie Sansone DVD .....she said I walked about a mile in the 20 mins it took to do it........I felt like such an achiever, when I did so little......but after years of just teaching and doing desk work, it felt real good to put that DVD in and get to it.........I'll join you........should we make a goal to achieve?
  • DJKimE
    DJKimE Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I recently started walking. My new rule is... if I need to go somewhere and it's within 1 mile, I walk there (unless it's late at night or the weather is bad)
  • cxmartza
    Options
    I think that's awesome DJKimE. It's a definite plus if you can walk to a lot of places and integrate it into your lifestyle. It's all about changing bad habits into good ones. Good luck and be safe, that's most important.

Shel2Peru: Congrats on losing the 5 lbs! That is another achievement you should feel proud of as well. It's that positive reinforcement from a feeling of achievement that will keep us going. Like I said to DJKimE...it's about changing bad or unhealthy habits into good ones. It's a lifestyle and I think we can all do it together.
  • Shel2Peru
    Shel2Peru Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    cxmartza ......so you are going to start doing 20 mins a day walking right?........ok, today was my first time to do the 20 min. mile w/ the DVD.......so I'll try to do it everyday except Sunday and will check back w/ you..........we surely can give 20 mins. of our day to get healthy eh?........chau for now.....Happy Walking
  • cxmartza
    Options
    Yes! I will walk 20 mins/day except for Sunday with you. I'm looking forward to your updates and hope others will join us.
  • saj9291113
    Options
    I started walking on my hour lunch break last november and loved it. It got me away from driving to get out of the office and passing fast food joint after fast food joint and breaking down and stopping to get something. Saves me money and unhealthy food. Now I walk in the neighborhood across from my office. Very hilly terrain and that's how I found myfitnesspro app to go with my runkeepers app. I do about 2.5 miles in the hour.

Ryan
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I walk at the moment because it's all I CAN do. My physio has banned me from everything else until my slipped disc is more stable.

I get in 3 walks a day, usually (it helps to have 2 dogs!). My early morning walk is only 15 minutes long and burns about 60 calories. Lunchtime walk is brisk and lasts 20 minutes, burning about 140 calories. The evening walk is longer (about 40 minutes) and still pretty brisk but I flag towards the end as my back gets tired, burning around 230 calories. That's over 400 extra calories burned a day. The evening walk is also a wonderful time to chat with my husband and catch up on the events of the day without the distractions of housework/dinner/television, etc.