white bread addict

Options
Hi, my name is Amy, and I love white bread......

but I have finally decided I should change my ways, but I need some reccomendations. For a few weeks I was buying wonder whole grain white bread. Is this any better? I can't even tell you for sure what breads I don't like, but when I think of wheat or rye or whatever those healthy breads are, I think of dry and yucky tasting.

Can someone reccomend a yummy bread that's good for me...also price is a factor, I can't be buying the most expensive brand on the shelf. Thanks!

Replies

• amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Amy, and I love white bread......

but I have finally decided I should change my ways, but I need some reccomendations. For a few weeks I was buying wonder whole grain white bread. Is this any better? I can't even tell you for sure what breads I don't like, but when I think of wheat or rye or whatever those healthy breads are, I think of dry and yucky tasting.

Can someone reccomend a yummy bread that's good for me...also price is a factor, I can't be buying the most expensive brand on the shelf. Thanks!
  • Fit2btied
    Fit2btied Posts: 486
    Options
    Good question...I have a daughter who will only eat white bread, so I buy the Nature's Own Whitewheat Bread b/c it has lots of fiber in it...more than most whole grain breads. The whitening probably strips it of some value, but I'll be watching this topic to see what others have to say!
  • Skittles6617
    Skittles6617 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I eat the Nature's Own Light either Wheat or Honey Wheat bread. It does not taste like wheat at all. It isn't dry and it is very soft. It only has 40 - 45 Calories per slice.
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    My husband used to LOVE white bread. He could go through a loaf in a day. I used to love white bread too, but then one day I just said, "That's enough. I'm making our own bread, and it's going to be whole wheat." This is the face I got from him: :noway:

The way I switched to whole wheat was just by...doing it. I just started eating all my sandwiches on whole wheat, making whole wheat rolls...If we went to a restaurant where they had whole wheat bread, that was what I got. I didn't like it at first, but when you're eating a sandwich, you can't really tell what the bread tastes like.

Now we both LOVE wheat bread. This is a direct quote from my husband, "Whole wheat bread tastes so much more like...something." White bread, in our opinion, now tastes like cardboard, while wheat bread has all these subtle notes of earthiness and goodness. My only advice is just to do it. If you have a sandwich five days a week, buy a loaf of wheat bread (just the cheapest loaf they have) and have your sandwich on wheat bread maybe one time the first week, two the second week, and wean yourself into it. You can do it if you want to, and it's so much better for you!!!
  • mhosner
    mhosner Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I love pita pockets. And the wheat ones aren't bad at all. Now I don't know calorie differences right now, but I would think they would be better for you.

My sister is all about 12 grain, and my husband even likes it. Still getting use to it, but doesn't mind it at all.
  • olyjok
    olyjok Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Try (Village Hearth Light Italian Bread) This is White Bread Only 40 calories per slice And 8 grams of Carbs.... But you will pay about $3.50 per bag....
  • amymeenieminymo
    Options
    I eat the Nature's Own Light either Wheat or Honey Wheat bread. It does not taste like wheat at all. It isn't dry and it is very soft. It only has 40 - 45 Calories per slice.

That sounds yummy, and I love how few calories it has. Thanks!
  • 2day4ever
    2day4ever Posts: 178
    Options
    I've switched to english muffins (at most) for that "starch fix" ~ I do think it helps to avoid the thing that you crave so that the cravings go away. For me, for example, the BIG craving is chocolate but I have not allowed myself to have any for 3 weeks and the cravings are gone, too.

Anyway, I now buy those Thomas 100 calorie english muffins.

Love the comment earlier about baking your own bread! That is awesome!!!! Used to do that myself, pre-kids. Now, not so much . . .:ohwell:
  • amymeenieminymo
    Options
    I've switched to english muffins (at most) for that "starch fix" ~ I do think it helps to avoid the thing that you crave so that the cravings go away. For me, for example, the BIG craving is chocolate but I have not allowed myself to have any for 3 weeks and the cravings are gone, too.

Anyway, I now buy those Thomas 100 calorie english muffins.

Love the comment earlier about baking your own bread! That is awesome!!!! Used to do that myself, pre-kids. Now, not so much . . .:ohwell:

How did you bake your own, totally from scratch or from frozen dough? I am wondering if that would be healthier, more convenient and cheaper to either bake it from scratch, or just keep frozen dough in the freezer and pop it in the oven. Have any recipies?
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I make my own bread at home, and I use the La Leche League basic whole wheat bread recipe. It takes a couple tries to get it just where you like it, and if you're a white bread addict, you can start with just a cup or two of WW flour and then increase it as you get used to the taste, but here's a version of the basic recipe:

http://www.llli.org/NB/NBJulAug99p134.html

The cookbook I have from LLL is from 1984, so the recipe is a BIT different, and I use only whole wheat flour, not any all purpose, but you get the general gist.

I LOVE making my own bread. I feel so proud of myself. I know that sounds silly, but I'm a SAHM, so it helps to have little things that you are proud of.

I also substitute some of the flour with nonfat dry milk powder and wheat germ. Sometimes rolled oats if I'm feeling especially sassy. Also, I use honey or agave nectar instead of maple syrup.

I would definitely recommend at least trying it once, but it does take all day. The good thing is all that kneading makes your arms look really really great.
  • adcrunner
    adcrunner Posts: 16
    Options
    You could try Sarah Lee Whole Grain White bread. It looks and tastes like white bread but it is much healthier!!
  • tanzmamma
    tanzmamma Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I too am a reformed white bread addict.

I use........................ Natures Own Light Wheat it's 80 cal, 1 fat for 2 slices.

My husband is weird about wheat bread.... so I buy the Natures Own Honey Wheat for him and the kids.

I do have to say though.there is NOTHING as good as a PBJ on white bread LOL... ohhhh i miss those days LOL!

:blushing:
  • IAM125lbs
    IAM125lbs Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Good Grief!! read this thread and what do I do....eat not one but two slices of toasted bread with margarine..:huh: .gotta do better
  • amymeenieminymo
    Options
    I too am a reformed white bread addict.

I use........................ Natures Own Light Wheat it's 80 cal, 1 fat for 2 slices.

My husband is weird about wheat bread.... so I buy the Natures Own Honey Wheat for him and the kids.

I do have to say though.there is NOTHING as good as a PBJ on white bread LOL... ohhhh i miss those days LOL!

:blushing:

I agree.....grilled cheese also isn't grilled cheese without white bread!:sad:
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    We buy Aunt Millie's Fiber For Life Whole Grain bread...it's DELICIOUS and only 35 calories a slice!
  • sarolyna
    sarolyna Posts: 15
    Options
    Try Potato Bread!! It is very soft and moist like white bread, but has more nutritional value. And once you conquer that, head to wheat.