Too much Protein?

Options
Is their such thing as getting TOO much protein? I know it helps build muscles but I have never heard anything bad about it.

Replies

• SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Not unless you have other medical issues. Protein is an excellent calorie, and definitely the one to aim to have high over carbohydrates and fats.

It also helps you last through the day (like complex carbs), and processes slower than simple sugars for longer energy.

The only possible bad thing about protein is where you're getting it from. Meats high in protein are often also high in saturated fats. But, nuts, legumes, and beans are high in protein, but have those mono and poly unsaturated fats (the good ones that can help lower cholesterol).

Dairy is also good for protein, but again, watch for fat content! Fat is good for you, but it can really up your caloric intake for the day quickly, as it's 9 calories per gram instead of 4 like carbs/protein.
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Not really. Some people like to think that too much can damage your kidneys, but studies have shown no ill effects in people consuming up to 2 grams of protein per pound of body weight. A good general guideline for an active person is 0.7 to1 grams of protein per pound of your target body weight. More than that is generally unnecessary unless you are trying to bulk up like a bodybuilder, but it certainly won't hurt you.
  • nali72
    nali72 Posts: 2
    Options
    Just be sure to add more water to your day is you are eating a high protein diet. The kidneys will need the extra flushing to work properly. Personally I can tell if I have had too much protein, my kidneys tell me. Most people are not that sensitive though.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The only real problems are that a) protein is expensive and so you might be wasting your money, esp if you are going in for bars, shakes, etc.

An over reliance on protein in a calorie reduced diet could begin to crowd out other important nutrients.

Protein is has an important role to play, but it is not magic. If you are getting an optimal amount, eating more will not provide any additional benefit.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Okay, I only ask because today I went 26 over my daily allotment of the protein it said I should get. I got protein in my 2 yogurts, vegetable soup w/ 3 crackers, 1g in my broccoli, spaghetti with ground turkey sauce, English Muffin w/ cream cheese, and my 1 scrambled egg. My calories are set at 1,200 a day (w/o the calories I gained that I could eat from all the running I did) and I did 1,187 and stayed well under my daily amount of fat and carbohydrates so I guess I'm good then.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Is their such thing as getting TOO much protein? I know it helps build muscles but I have never heard anything bad about it.

Yes, it can cause problems with the kidneys.

HOWEVER, it is damn difficult to eat too much as you would feel stuffed before you got to that point and the amount you have gone over is not in the league of too much protein to put a strain on your kidneys, so I wouldn't worry.