People think I'm Too Skinny

Options
This has been the theme of the week apparently but everyone who I bump into thinks I'm too skinny.
I call my sister to chat and she tells me family members are wondering if I'm OK.
Its either, is he depressed? Is he eating? Is he sick Etc etc.

Kinda sucks since I've been busting my butt to get my body fat down.
I've been keeping tabs on what I eat and Its balanced IMO.
On non workout day I tend to diet but on workout days I eat 2000 calories+.

Lost 45 pounds and I've manage to keep and build all new muscle.
Lost almost everything at the waist.
I guess I look bad since I still have most of my fat clothes hanging off me haha.
I'm not buying too many new clothes cause I haven't finished my goals just yet.

My face got slimmer but its really discouraging to hear these things?
Its like people rather see me huge then in better health.

Anyone ever dealt with this?

Replies

• navy4you2
    navy4you2 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    family can sometimes worry more about others in the family than they can about themselves. It isn't something to worry about, but you might want to let them know that you are doing this for your own personal gain, not trying to worry them. Let them know exactly what you are doing and how you are keeping track of it. People worry and it is perfectly normal. Help them understand as much as you can.
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    My family does this a lot. And I still want to lose a bit more. I am pretty slim, but also an athlete so I want to get thinner.
    Whenever I vesit home the first thing they say when I wak in is "Girl you better eat!" then they try to give me fatty foods.
    They even mail me up snacks because they are scared I am not eating.
    But I am actually in my ideal weight range.
    I think family just tends to think that we lose the weight in an unhealthy matter, just a habit of being uniformed
  • tissyazd
    tissyazd Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I honestly think you look really healthy in your pic. It's probably just a big shock to see you look so different. Stick to it and then they will get used to what you look like without the extra weight.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    My BF lost like 30-40 lbs and all his family thinks he's too skinny too. I think for guys its proly worse. You look great to me!
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    You look great! Do you make you Sis look large, your Bro look too heavy. You catch my drift?
  • souixz
    souixz Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hey Mr....
    Don't stress. If you're happy and healthy it will show! Give them time to adapt to seeing the new you....they don't see it as often as you, so it may be a shock. Sometimes it brings out some meaness, but all in all it sounds as if you're really loved and cared about. Keep showing them your smile!:happy:
    When this happened to me a few years ago, it was just the shock of not seeing me huge!!

Great Job!
  • Mrbackslap
    Options
    I'm getting this from friends also that I don't keep in touch too much with.
    My close friends know that I watch what I eat and that I'm working out.
    I guess I sometimes tend to think too much about what other people think especially if I'm getting the same comments over and over.
    I had to take my shirt off to show my aunt that I'm actually good haha.
    She was actually surprised and said my arms look big =)
    But I wont do that for everyone =P
  • Natural
    Natural Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    i know how you feel, i get those looks too. it kinda sucks when i'm up at 5 busting my butt, but i'm happy with how i look and what i've done. you should be as well. congrats on your progress. if they could do it, they would.
  • Mrbackslap
    Options
    You look great! Do you make you Sis look large, your Bro look too heavy. You catch my drift?

Actually no, my sister introduced me to MFP lol and where both losing weight.
    She got the same comments too, but she said F*em people are always bringing negativity when your doing good.
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I had to take my shirt off to show my aunt that I'm actually good haha.
    She was actually surprised and said my arms look big =)

Haha, I was going to suggest that.

I think if you show the facts to people--BMI, maybe even your food log--they might understand that while you're getting slimmer, you aren't going overboard, that you understand what you're doing. Make sure you team up with your sis--strength in numbers!

45 lbs down--awesome job!!
  • sewele
    sewele Posts: 27
    Options
    hey!

Ignore them do what makes you healthy and happy. Also they may think that you aren't doing well b/c you do have baggy clothes on so it doesn't show off all the muscle you have rather then just being way skinny.
  • Mrbackslap
    Options
    Haha hi xarrium thanks girl.
    It just kinda sucks to get the these comments from friends and family.
    Had too vent today cause I got 2 comment and a strange look like if I'm doing crack lol
    =)
  • Tuplatano
    Tuplatano Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    You are not alone my friend people use to teLl me the same thing 5 years ago when I lost 60 lbs. I have a feeling they are going to be saying the same thing again now that I'm planning to accomplish the same goal for the second time of my life. People use to ask me if I was sick all the time to the point of annoyance.
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    Good for you and your Sis!
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    congrats on your weight loss. I have gotten the same comments from family and coworkers with them telling me to eat or not lose anymore weight. It's not like I'm underweight, still 13lbs heavier than the lower range of acceptable weights for my height. I think it just looks strange to them and they worry. I will only start sweating it if hubby starts to comment, but so far it's all been positive :blushing:

Speaking from the other side, I had a coworker who lost maybe 100lbs, and for months after he reached his goal weight every time I saw him I thought he was ill. I even asked once :embarassed:, but it was just healthy living. Just like people you know that gain weight look strangely bloated, people you're used to being overweight can look ill by comparison. Just keep showing off your muscle :flowerforyou:
  • cmsdives
    Options

I was going to say something similar. In the past when I've lost weight I encountered similar comments & learned later those comments were made out of jealousy. I agree with the others, you look great in your pic, stick to ur plan & don't let the comments derail you.
  • Robin66
    Robin66 Posts: 103
    Options
    I've had to deal with friends and co-workers who keep telling me "I'm too thin, my face looks sunk in or I look sick." I feel like you, I've been busting my *kitten* to reach my goals and feel like these people are really bringing me down. Isn't it ironic that you get all the negative comments and insults when you're heavy and when you finally do something about it, some poeple still have to be negative and insulting. I thing you look amazing, keep up your hard work and determination, it looks good on you!
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Options
    I think you look great:bigsmile: