is a heart rate monitor worth it

Options
thinking of buying one but not sure if its worth it or not

Replies

• kiwitechgirl
    kiwitechgirl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be without mine. It allows me to keep track of my workouts, get the most accurate number of calories burned, and i can also see my fitness levels increasing through max heart rate reached. Just make sure you get one with a chest strap as they're far more accurate.
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    yes
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,629 Member
    Options
    Before my HRM, I was grossly overestimating workout burns, so for me it was worth it. If you don't want to spend the money, try to borrow one for a session and figure out the ratio between the HRM reading and some other estimation method such MFP database.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Love mine and it does help. Go for it.
  • IronPhyllida
    IronPhyllida Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    thinking of buying one but not sure if its worth it or not
    Cant see the point of exercising and taking it seriously if I didn't have one.
  • EniBee
    EniBee Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I contemplated getting one as well, so I bought a cheap one (£15.00) which was just a wrist watch with a sensor that measured your pulse rate through the tip of your finger! You then had to indicate on a scale of 1 to 5 how hard you thought you worked and then it would give you your calorie burn. Needless to say, I stopped using it as it was total useless and much inaccurate.

I then bought a polar FT4 HRM with a chest strap sensor. I am very happy with this, although I wished I had bought one with bluetooth so that I could sink it with my Runkeeper app. So, if you do get one, make sure you get a decent on,otherwise it will be a waste of your hard earned cash!!
  • RUGGEDGerit
    Options
    If you get a good quality one, it will be in valuable. Sometimes I think I am working hard, and the readout on the HR monitor shows only a moderate workout, and then I know to kick it up a notch. Why do all that work if it is ineffective?
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Without one, you're simply guessing at exercise calories. No point in tracking your food accurately if you then guess the other side.
  • moelowens132
    moelowens132 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yes, so worth it!!
    It's helped me know when to push harder or when I can back off. I now know what I'm realistically burning when I work out. No, they are not 100.00% accurate on cals- more like 99.8% but unless you literally lay down the rest of the day and never move they difference is nothing. I say go for it!!
    Get a good quality one with a chest strap. ;)
  • TamaraKat
    TamaraKat Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    For me it is worth it too! :) On cardio days, it helps me control my heart rate through breathing and gives me a more accurate count than the machines. I would definitely look at buying one.

EDIT: As stated above, I would get a chest strap one. It is more accurate than an arm-band and you can't really feel it!
  • janpuzzle31
    janpuzzle31 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I bought one for when I am running and it has helped me to see when I am pushing myself too hard. By slowing down to achieve a sustainable heart rate I have enjoyed my runs more and felt better afterwards. I agree with others that a chest strap is best.

Also I find a new exercise gadget is a great motivator!
  • TamaraKat
    Options
    I bought one for when I am running and it has helped me to see when I am pushing myself too hard. By slowing down to achieve a sustainable heart rate I have enjoyed my runs more and felt better afterwards. I agree with others that a chest strap is best.

I agree with the last bit - I was SO excited to try mine out when I bought it!!!
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    totally worth it, and personally I find it very motivating to see my calorie burns, I try to earn myself a glass of wine a night hehe :wink:

I have the polar ft4, which I got on ebay for 20 quid, with the chest strap. Totally worth taking a look if you need to budget! (and definitely get a good hrm, you need a chest strap, and a trusted brand, the polars are very popular and known for accuracy
  • TamaraKat
    Options
    You will also find that some heart rate monitors can actually synch with the machines in gym too :)
  • krissenior
    krissenior Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be without mine. It allows me to keep track of my workouts, get the most accurate number of calories burned, and i can also see my fitness levels increasing through max heart rate reached. Just make sure you get one with a chest strap as they're far more accurate.

^^^This :)
  • kroonha
    kroonha Posts: 102 Member
    Options

I agree with the last bit - I was SO excited to try mine out when I bought it!!!

I've had mine for a week and I'm totally loving it. So great to see an accurate number of calories burned, when I'm in the fatburning or fitness zone, etc. Really helped my workouts and provided me with even more motivation :)
  • minuz5
    minuz5 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    alright, everyone is speaking about them but none says what brand and how much do they cost?? Also, do you have to wear that strap on your chest to monitor everything??
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Absolutely worth it! Love having a more accurate calorie burn estimate.
  • TamaraKat
    Options
    alright, everyone is speaking about them but none says what brand and how much do they cost?? Also, do you have to wear that strap on your chest to monitor everything??

Minuz,
    You can purchase a variety or brands like Polar, Suunto,Timex, and Garmin to name a few. The Polar is a really popular choice by everyone and can pick one up for approximately $AU90 + depending on the model. The chest strap is your only way of monitoring your heart rate which in turn does your calories burned, distances, etc etc. These chest straps are barely noticeable when worn (unless pulled unrealistically tight) and can withstand water depth, depending on brand of course.
  • perfectflightisbeingthere
    Options
    I wouldn't be without mine. Needs to be one with a chest strap to be useful. I have a Polar RCX3 with GPS, cost about £160 and been worth every penny, to the extent that i've just bought my daughter one too! The zone based training programme I've been following since May has transformed my fitness by making me run slower and much more conssitently.

(The calorie burns reported are lower than you tend to get from the table approach on MFP etc, but given that heart rate is a proxy for how much oxygen you are using should be a better estimate. It is still only an estimate though and for some people will be on the high side, so still be careful if intending to eat back calories burnt through exercise and trying to lose weight.)