Working out in a sweater...

Options
I am (sigh) 223 lbs and I've seen a few people work out in sweaters at the gym. Does this really help burn more calories and fat? I've done a little research and it seems to be a pretty even debate from both sides on whether it works or not. My problem area is my belly and arms so I was hoping if I wore a sweater while working out this might help slim down those areas since I will be sweating more.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    no
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I guess you'd be hotter so you'd lose more water in the way of sweat. It might even burn a few more calories but I don't see how it would make you lose more fat though?

If you're working out at the gym and eating less than you were you'll have that fat coming off anyway :)
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    No. Just, no.

In actual fact, the colder you are, the harder your body has to work to keep your blood at body temperature.

You will sweat more, but do not think this too is a sign that you'll lose more. The amount you sweat is a product of how hydrated you are.
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I've just started doing my exercise routines in a fleece.

Because it's cold!

My hrm doesn't measure any different burns from when I wasn't wearing it. Don't cook yourself in the mistaken belief it will make you lose more - it'll just make you more dehydrated and less comfortable - and I know when I'm not as comfortable, I don't exercise as much!
  • Work2Bfit89
    Options
    31lb down? thats awesome!

anyway i can talk you into sharing what your routine meals are for the day?
  • TabithaMichelle85
    TabithaMichelle85 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    The way the article I read explained it, was that since you are wearing a sweater it forces your body to work harder to try and cool your body down which makes your heart rate go up and that helps burn more calories/fat since your heart rate is higher.
  • Hestion
    Hestion Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    The way the article I read explained it, was that since you are wearing a sweater it forces your body to work harder to try and cool your body down which makes your heart rate go up and that helps burn more calories/fat since your heart rate is higher.

The amount you sweat has nothing to do with calories as far as i understand, we are all different and some sweat more than others, I've always sweated lots even when i was a normal weight, that's just my body!

I can only see it as a recipe to pass out to be honest
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    No.
  • TabithaMichelle85
    TabithaMichelle85 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    31lb down? thats awesome!

anyway i can talk you into sharing what your routine meals are for the day?

I'm far from a fitness guru so I've just been doing what works for me so far. I'm not good at venturing out into the gym because I'm not exactly sure how to us all of the equipment and I stay away from the gym trainers because they try to force a fitness package on you which at the time I cannot afford.

I have my calorie goal set at 1500 but I try to stay around 1290. I eat 3 meals a day (mostly consisting of chicken and Jennie o ground turkey and I drink a slimfast shake for breakfast) and try to eat snacks that are healthy at work, I work 3rd shift. When I go to the gym I spend around 30 to 45 minutes on the elliptical and then sometimes I will get on the treadmill I don't usually go out and use any of the other equipment in the gym unless there are very few people there because like I said I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing out there.
  • christopherdunne547
    Options
    Depends if it improves circulation... Most stubborn fats are there because of poor circulation to those areas, heat does infact improve circulation, so it's debatable but entirely possible.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    You wear them in dance studios just to keep the muscles warm. They do help with that :)
  • Work2Bfit89
    Options
    im hearing chicken a lot...

i difinitley think im going to add chicken,veggies and fruits to my meals....

and of course exersize ;p
  • stradale27
    stradale27 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As long as you are happy, comfortable and exercising it doesnt really matter what you wear. :smile:
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    It will cause a water loss not weight and with that said be cautious that also means drop in potassium and sodium. When I am too hot I also do less so I try to dress for comfort so I am not thinking about that just focusing on working hard and yes still sweating. I am not sure how that affects you but it really doesn't help enough I think it might burn a few more calories but more like 30-50 so just take one less bite of something.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    You will sweat more. Therefore, you may lose a little water weight. It will not help you lose fat. Keep going to the gym and make sure you're eating at a healthy calorie deficit. Weigh and measure EVERY THING. Log EVERY THING.