New Calipers not sure if im doing it right?

Options
Hi all, Ive been on mfp since my son was born 4 years ago and lost all my baby weight and abit more, on and off over the last few years my weight has gone up and down.
Im currently 131lbs 5'4 and have decided to not only focus on the scales which fluctuate all the time to measure my body fat and try eat much more 'clean'.
However these new calipers ive bought i just cant work out if im doing them correctly? When i did the measuring i got 27% when my boyfriend measurede me he got 20% we did an average of 3 each time and inch above my hip bone... can anyone shed any light on this for me please?

Thanks
x

Replies

• TamaraKat
    TamaraKat Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Hmm; I am having this very same problem with my calipers! I ended up getting it caliper measured and it varied from 16.4% (PT measurement) and something like 20 - 21% (self tested). I would say you could get a higher degree of accuracy if multiple areas are used to take measurements... not quite sure though!
  • beckizzle
    beckizzle Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    It's pretty hard to get an accurate reading doing calliper test on yourself.
    You also should look up youtube videos on proper form. If you don't pick up the skin right, you could pick up some of the muscle too and that will of course throw your results off.

Keep trying, practice makes perfect.
  • zoecollins
    zoecollins Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys,
    although not sure practising doing it the wrong way will make for good progress haha maybe il just take the lower % :laugh: