Eating until full? Help?

Does anyone else find that they will know the calories in their meals and are hungry before you start to eat but then you get full quickly but you still have half of the meal left? I get this sometimes but mostly with dinner! I always find myself wanting to keep eating because if I don't ill be under my calories goal and I'm trying to gain a few pounds as well! Normally I keep eating because of this reason and also because it tastes good! I feel kinda full after but not totally stuffed! I don't know whether I should stop this habit?

Ps. I also find that I get full really quickly and I think I have a problem with bloating (maybe this is why I get so full)

Thanks

Replies

• JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Try eating more often and smaller meals.
  • SkinnyMsFitness
    SkinnyMsFitness Posts: 389 Member
    Does anyone else find that they will know the calories in their meals and are hungry before you start to eat but then you get full quickly but you still have half of the meal left? I get this sometimes but mostly with dinner! I always find myself wanting to keep eating because if I don't ill be under my calories goal and I'm trying to gain a few pounds as well! Normally I keep eating because of this reason and also because it tastes good! I feel kinda full after but not totally stuffed! I don't know whether I should stop this habit?

Ps. I also find that I get full really quickly and I think I have a problem with bloating (maybe this is why I get so full)

Thanks

Well, how much water are you drinking? Water helps you feel full. Maybe quit drinking it before meal times. How much are you eating for other meals? If dinners tend to be the biggest meals, eat more at breakfast and lunch. Try eating snacks...morning, afternoon and evening.

This is totally opposite of my problem! lol Good luck!
  • dazzer1975
    dazzer1975 Posts: 104 Member
    Does anyone else find that they will know the calories in their meals and are hungry before you start to eat but then you get full quickly but you still have half of the meal left?

I can struggle with that, the less I eat, the less hunger I feel, it is very strange, i put it down to literally your stomach shrinking as a result of eating less?

I also think, it depends on the types of food you are eating, it is VERY hard to get a full days compliment of calories from vegetables and lean protein, if you are eating that kind of diet then perhaps that could be the reason?
  • kRcu
    kRcu Posts: 18
    Try eating more often and smaller meals.

This! I used to eat huge meals, but now that I eat less, I find it easier to eat 5-6 smaller meals throughout the day. I'm rarely hungry for food, I just eat because its time. I look at it more like adding fuel to my tank rather than something I love to do. I used to love eating and my body reflected that.

Break it up a bit and it should be much easier.
  • francesca123456789
    francesca123456789 Posts: 17 Member
    Thanks for all the help guys! I normally eat four main meals and like two low cal snacks! So I might add in one or two meals! And I will try and drink my water after my meal if I'm not too full or a while before my meal! Thanks again!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    I get that often now. My kids - who are healthier eaters than me - always do this. They put the other part of their meal in the refrigerator and eat it when they're hungry. They are very good at monitoring their state and stopping when they're full.

I am emulating them. I stop when I'm not hungry and then often find I'm hungry later. I eat then. If I'm not hungry today I know I'll be hungry tomorrow and I'll have the extra calories to put in. I am fastidious about the week, but some days are under or over.
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    I recommend stopping when you feel full and saving the rest for later. It's likely you'll be hungry again in an hour or two, so just finish your meal then. Listening to your body signals is a key to long term success. The habit of eating even if we aren't hungry is what leads most of us to battle weight. Following the body signals as a guide is how we were intended to maintain a healthy weight.
  • nads1012
    nads1012 Posts: 55
    I'm eating 5 x 300cals at the moment. High protein, low carb. I've been doing it for 4 days and will only do it for 2 weeks all togehter, to give myself the little push I want. After that I'll relax it a bit. I'm also lifting heavy weights.
    I do one breakfast, early lunch, late lunch, early dinner, late dinner. It's the easiest diet I've ever done. I eat every 2.5- 3 hours, so if ater an hour I'm flagging a bit, I think to myslef not much longer till my next meal. I'm never really hungry, and all my sugar cravings are gone. I can feel that I'm undereating a bit, so that's why I'm not gonna do it forever, but I've also seen a change in my body in 4 days already.
  • :)
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    In Japan people are taught to stop eating when they are half full because they will feel fuller in a lot while. Maybe we should do that too.
  • splashblob
    splashblob Posts: 249 Member
    Or maybe it depends on how fast you are eating. I have read that it takes about 20min for people to realized that you are now fulled. After you are eating something, give your body times to registered that, otherwise you can continue eating until you are overly stuffed. :)