should I keep lifting heavy?

Options
So I am a 22 year old girl. 5'6 about 160 lbs.. I have always been pretty muscular naturally so now I am just trying to get rid of the fat I have on top. I do lift pretty heavy and I have been told Im getting too muscular. Can I still lift heavy but lose the weight? Or should I do lighter weights? I cant seem to loose the fat but I am gaining muscle. Should I just increase my cardio? I usually just do 30 min cardio and lift for the rest of my workout. Pleaseeee any advice?

Replies

• AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    1. The answer to that question is "yes". ALWAYS, "yes".

2. You've "been told" you are getting too muscular? Why do you care what others think of you? Do YOU think you are too muscular, or are you pleased with your results? Do this for YOU, screw everyone else.

3. If you are eating at a deficit, you WILL lose weight while lifting heavy weights. It is completely impossible to build muscle tissue while eating fewer calories than you burn.

4. Do not do lighter weights. They will be ineffective in fat loss.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Nah, your uterus will fall out and then you'll start growing a penis.
  • halleymw
    halleymw Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I don't really think you are getting "too muscular" whatever that means. You might post your routine for people to critique, but everyone here will probably tell you to continue to do strength training as well as the cardio to maintain muscle mass while losing weight.
    Mike
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    It is unlikely that you have accidentally become too muscular.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    If you can't seem to lose the fat, you're not in a calorie deficit. How much are you eating?
    I am about 5'6, Started at 155 pounds, and now I weigh 132. I lost all my weight while lifting heavy, minimal (almost no) cardio, You definitely CAN lose while lifting, it's all about nutrition.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    If you can't seem to lose the fat, you're not in a calorie deficit. How much are you eating?
    I am about 5'6, Started at 155 pounds, and now I weigh 132. I lost all my weight while lifting heavy, minimal (almost no) cardio, You definitely CAN lose while lifting, it's all about nutrition.

Because it's worth saying twice. Losing fat happens in the kitchen (or staying out of it, rather, lol) Looking good naked happens in the gym!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Without pics, I cannot say for sure but at your age and eating at a deficit, I seriously doubt that you are getting too muscular - building muscle requires a lot for men (no offense, but women do not have the testosterone levels - naturally - to become bulky like a man)... If you have a significant fat store, that may be being misinterpreted as too muscular... Make sure you are eating at a deficit and go ahead and lift heavy... You should have no problems... Remember, it is EASY to lose too much muscle so if you don't like what you see when you get leaned up some, just stop working that muscle for a little while and watch it atrophy right back to a desirable range.
  • ehsan517
    ehsan517 Posts: 114
    Options

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

but seriously thou...screw what others say. keep your goal in mind and hit it. wanna get rid of fat? be in a deficit.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    She could very well be getting 'too muscular' if she's eating at a surplus. She hasn't mentioned eating at a deficit.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    So I am a 22 year old girl. 5'6 about 160 lbs.. I have always been pretty muscular naturally so now I am just trying to get rid of the fat I have on top. I do lift pretty heavy and I have been told Im getting too muscular. Can I still lift heavy but lose the weight? Or should I do lighter weights? I cant seem to loose the fat but I am gaining muscle. Should I just increase my cardio? I usually just do 30 min cardio and lift for the rest of my workout. Pleaseeee any advice?

who told you that you were getting too muscular?

do YOU think you're too muscular?
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

Because it's worth saying twice. Losing fat happens in the kitchen (or staying out of it, rather, lol) Looking good naked happens in the gym!

Worth saying WAY more than twice!
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Ignore advice from jealous people! Chances are you aren't too muscular you are just more muscular than them and you are making them look/feel bad!! :drinker:
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I cant seem to loose the fat but I am gaining muscle. Should I just increase my cardio? I usually just do 30 min cardio and lift for the rest of my workout. Pleaseeee any advice?

1. Sort your diet out - it's not likely you are in a deficit
    2. Add moderate amounts cardio if you like as an insurance policy against over eating or you feel better with a higher calorie intake. It's not otherwise necessary
    3. If you like lifting heavy (what rep range do you exactly mean by that?) then continue to do it. If you want to try a higher rep range that it also be fine as long as you ensure sufficient load - ie the last few reps should be challenging to perform with good form.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Ignore advice from jealous people! Chances are you aren't too muscular you are just more muscular than them and you are making them look/feel bad!! :drinker:

Loooool.

But yes, I'd keep lifting heavy and if you intend on losing weight, make sure you're eating at a deficit. Good luck.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    If you're eating at a deficit then at best you'll build a small amount of muscle but it will show more because the fat is "subsiding". As one MFP said, think of your muscles as islands surrounded by water (fat). As the sea level drops, the islands look bigger.

If you're eating above your TDEE then you will grow muscle and fat.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How much weight are you gaining each week? If the answer is 0, then you aren't gaining muscle. If anything you might have some recomposition going on, but even then, the look of gaining muscle is really just lowering body fat.

BTW, yes you should lift heavy. Lowering weight and increasing reps will not make you lose muscle or look a different way. Heavy weight = more explosive power, lower weight = endurance. High weight, low rep works the fast twitch muscle fibers (power) and low weight high rep works the slow twitch fibers (endurance)
  • vtchica23
    vtchica23 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hec yes you should keep lifting heavy! I'm kind of in the same boat. Always been muscular with a (more than) healthy layer of fat over it all and I just started lifting maybe 6 months ago. I have trimmed down some but I'm never going to have a "lean" body type. Keep doing what your doing girl! I love seeing those women at the gym who don't have that typical fit body type but are beasting out heavy weights. Just do you! :)
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    who told you that you were getting too muscular?

do YOU think you're too muscular?

This.

And a deficit = weight loss regardless of lifting.
  • rachell_a
    Options
    I think I just have to focus on my eating then. Thanks for your help!