Your best tip...

Options
So, I had this career dream since high school, and lots of events in my life strayed me away from it... Anyways.. :grumble:
I never was able to do chin-ups and push-ups. They are a requirement.
Ok for push-ups but ... anyone have a tip for chin-ups? :blushing:

Thanks all! :smile:

Replies

• tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Shoulders back and try to lead with your chest, no swinging. If you can only get a quarter of one so be it. Next week you might manage half and so on and so on. Any progress is good, no matter how small
  • spinedocmfp
    spinedocmfp Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Do not use an assisted pull up machine, the movement does not translate well into real pull ups. Get a bench or a partner to boost you up, then do slow controlled negatives (the lowering stage). Once you can do several in a row, you should be close to be able to do a pull up, then go from there.
  • Mahihkan
    Mahihkan Posts: 162
    Options
    And do you guys think that being able to do my push ups might help as well gaining strength to do the chin-ups?
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Just the tip? I'm sorry...

try this!
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/04/25/do-a-pull-up/
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options

:laugh:
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

Exactly.

I hate these misleading thread titles!
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Get a bench or a partner to boost you up, then do slow controlled negatives (the lowering stage).

I agree. Also, I suggest that you have your ankles crossed and rest your feet on your partner's hands. Just that little bit of extra support will help you enough that you can make some progress. Eventually you won't need the assistance. Some may not agree with that, but it is what is working for me at the moment.
  • Mahihkan
    Options
    Thanks a lot Esclo :laugh: :tongue:
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I use the assisted pull-up band at my gym. I can do a few unassisted on my own, but if I am doing more reps, I use the band.
  • Luciewithienoty
    Luciewithienoty Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have been using a runtastic app for push ups; a couple of months ago I couldn't do any full push ups, now I can do 30 in a set. You have to pay for the pro version, but there's a free version too.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people don't recommend the assisted machine but it did work for me. I don't work out with anyone and certainly wasn't going to ask someone to stand there and hold my legs for me. I used the assisted and when I got down to only a 10 lb. assist, I tried them on my own. Lo and behold I could do 3 chinups! From there, I just kept doing them on my own and now can do 3x8 on a good day. I did the same for pullups. Still working on getting more unassisted reps in but using the assisted machine helped build me up to it. Now I will do as many unassisted as I can and then add in negatives.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    My trainer had me doing these before and it is quite a workout. I started on a stand, jump up above the bar, and try to slow yourself down as much as possible. It will strengthen the right muscles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ol_sTMFF9w
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options

This is a perfect name for a male strip club. "Just the Tip." It works on at least two levels.
  • rllewell
    rllewell Posts: 234
    Options
    Get a bench or a partner to boost you up, then do slow controlled negatives (the lowering stage).

I agree. Also, I suggest that you have your ankles crossed and rest your feet on your partner's hands. Just that little bit of extra support will help you enough that you can make some progress. Eventually you won't need the assistance. Some may not agree with that, but it is what is working for me at the moment.

I''d recommend both of these techniques. I've personally used the "partner cradling my crossed ankles" to get 3-4 more reps in. You will be amazed at how quickly you will get to 1 then 2 then 3 unassisted.
  • Mahihkan
    Options
    Thank all for your help! I will try all of them and see what works for me... :smile: :flowerforyou:

Thanks for the laugh as well :laugh: