Losing Weight during the Holiday Season tips

Options
Hey guys.
We all know how hard it is losing weight during Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas is. Theres all this good food and I just feel like I cant do this anymore. It's getting hard because I'm craving all these good. And its the winter so you could bulk up in layers and not feel that fat. so does anyone have any tips on how to avoid this?

Replies

• elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    i do low carb versions of all my holiday foods. check out eatingwell.com and other low carb recipe sites. it can be done and with the traditional spices, etc, you don't lose flavor. i use nut flours like almond meal and ground pecans for pie tart shells--just make mini versions.
  • kgs0201
    kgs0201 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    my game plan for halloween is to go out and buy the candy hours before we have to start handing it out and then at the end of the night i'm just going to put the bowl on the front step and hope its empty in the morning! still haven't quite figured out thanksgiving and christmas though!
  • mykaar74
    mykaar74 Posts: 253
    Options
    only suggestions I have are to keep tracking, and rememeber PORTION SIZE, EAT IN MODERATION. We can have what we like but we don't have to over do it.
  • missyhse
    missyhse Posts: 189
    Options
    I make a lot of soups and stews-all the yummy seasonal flavors and nutrition, without all the fat and calories. I also "cheat" on some of my must haves-I DO NOT advocate depriving yourself-like instead of pumpkin pie I use ramekins and make crustless, low fat pumpkin custard...
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    For Halloween I plan to buy popcorn packages or the bags of pretzels and will have cool pencils in my bowl as well. I may buy a few of the gummy candies as I don't find them tempting.

For Thanksgiving I've already made a list of my favorite foods and separated them into the ones I can adjust and the ones I will just have to watch portion sizes of. My aunt makes an awesome cranberry salad. I contacted her today and asked her if she could use low fat cream cheese to lower the calories in it. I love this stuff and plan to have some but how she prepares it will influence how big my serving size is (it may only be a 1/4 cup but I'm going to have a little!). I love the sweet potatoes with the sugar, nuts, and marshmallow topping. But I plan to bake my own sweet potato that day, the sprinkle it with cinnamon and a 1/2 serving of chopped walnuts.....this will lower my calories for THAT favorite as well. And of course I will have a portion size of turkey and ham. The one thing I WILL splurge on is a small slice of pecan pie. Nom, nom, nom. I don't eat dressing so that's not an issue for me. I'll pile on the fresh veggies though!

For me, its all about planning ahead. I figure I'll go over on calories that day but I don't want to lose complete control. AND I have already enlisted several family members to join me for a long afternoon walk that day. Weather permitting of course!

Hope this helps! I'll use the same strategy for Christmas! :) Good luck!
  • losergirl78
    Options
    You can have everything, but track, track, track. This is when portion control is most important. I would make sure you have no cany left on Halloween. And for Thanksgiving and Christmas, if you go to a party or a get together, offer to bring the veggie tray or fruit tray. Put that stuff on your plate first, when you're out of room on your plate (without piling it on) your done. That will force you to only get a little tast of everything without over-doing it.

Take advantage of the Holiday Season to exercise too. Take a walk after Thanksgiving dinner, or go shopping the next day and walk. During the Christmas Season, take walks through different neighborhoods to see the different lights and decorations.

Just hang in there, and if you slip a little, forgive yourself, get back on track, and keep going. Don't let it derail you!!
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    Halloween..I don't really plan on anything except maybe a few small candy treats or some dark chocolate.
    Thanksgiving, we usually have two days..a free dinner here for the public and obviously the real one on that day w/ family. I plan to have one plate of food (unless more for fruit/veggie) and one dessert. I'll stick to diet soda or water only.
    Christmas- Again one plate of food. I'll try to stick with the healthy stuff if cooked. :)