Cutting out sugar completely

Options
2»

Replies

• Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Unless there's a medical reason to do so, why? In MODERATION sugar is fine. Just like most everything else.
  • c7eat2live
    c7eat2live Posts: 308 Member
    Options
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Unnecessary and if you cut out all fruits, unhealthy.

A person can't be healthy without eating fruit? :huh:

Remember "well-balanced" being a good, key word for a healthy diet? The majority of "vegetables" people think are vegetables are actually fruits, as well. Pumpkin, squash, tomatoes, etc. etc.

OP, based on your post history, and your question: stop. If you're looking to wean sweeter things out of your diet as a challenge to yourself, fine, whatever. Be careful you don't start triggering further restriction.

If you think it's really because your sugar is "more than it should be," be aware that one of MFP's consistently complained about flaws is giving a "sugar" setting in the diaries that includes both natural and added sweeteners. One apple and one cookie a day suddenly sends people into a tailspin... when, really, they're fine (unless you have an existing condition that should limit added or any sugars).
  • tech_hunter
    tech_hunter Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Oh my god. I'm assuming you mean processed and refined sugars and so all the answers banging on about cutting out fruit and vegetables have gone the wrong way entirely?

If so, yes I have, once. I did a January "detox" (dirty word I know but I don't know what else to call it). I stopped alcohol, caffeine, salt, sugar, meat, dairy and wheat for 1 month only and largely to see what effect it would have. When I reintroduced those foods, the biggest headache I've ever had in my life came from the sugar. It was an interesting experiment but life's FAR too short to eat like that always.

If you want to cut down, CUT DOWN. That's all.

That is so interesting! I did a "detox" because I used to get migraines every week, cut out grains, starchy veggies, nightshades, sugar, dairy, eggs and then did a really anal reintroduction. I can eat everything without a problem, except wheat, gives me the 3 day aural migraines.

Everyone is so varied in what works for them, I love hearing stories about people finding their triggers.

As far as sugar is concerned, there is nothing wrong with sugar, unless like the above poster, you have medical reasons for avoiding excess. I avoid excess processed sugar, because I can eat better things. I eat organic fruit, homemade jams and jellies, ice cream, etc, because I eat them in moderation, and they don't bother me. You won't see me eating a piece of toast though! :D
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I say do a 21 Day Sugar Detox (www.21daysugardetox.com) and then stick with that... but there is no way anyone could ever give up all forms of sugar b/c there are too many sources of it that are too important to health - i.e. green veggies.

But a 21 DSD will cut out the ones that cause the greatest insulin response while still allowing you to consume some fruits (green apples, green tipped bananas) and all veggies (with the exception of starchy ones and sweet potatoes).

The 21 DSD helps you break that sweet tooth, but is temporary, so after the 21 days is up, it's recommended to add berries and fruits back into your daily diet (not diet as in weight loss, but diet as in what you consume for survival), but to continue avoiding processed sugars.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I heavily recommend that you avoid this borderline insanity. However, if you choose to proceed, please keep a daily post going on here so that others can learn from your error.
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to? I had corn pops ceral for breakfast today and a cinnamon roll yesterday. Too yummy for me to cut out! Good luck to you if you try it though!
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Yes, with anything if you detox from sugar you will stop craving it...I eat about 10 grams max daily of sugar...all natural..no processed, no added sugar in anything. I also don't like fruit, so I don't eat that, however I would imagine berries would be low sugar...People on the Atkins diet avoid sugar as well...good luck to you:flowerforyou:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Remember "well-balanced" being a good, key word for a healthy diet? The majority of "vegetables" people think are vegetables are actually fruits, as well. Pumpkin, squash, tomatoes, etc. etc.

Well, if we're going to get technical, all edible plants are vegetables and only some edible plants are fruits. But, that still doesn't mean that a person would be unhealthy if they ate none of the vegetables that are also fruits.
  • mathiseasy
    mathiseasy Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I cut out sugar for a month. Lost weight. Reintroduced it. Gained weight.

I was able to live without sugar cravings for a short time, and then my body started craving it because I was depriving it of something that it needed. I ended up binging and realizing how stupid cutting out sugar is and started eating a balanced diet. I still try to at least regulate added sugars because sometimes they give me headaches. Doesn't mean I won't eat chocolate or cake or ice cream or whatever when I want, though.

In my experience (read: Mine, not everybody's), your body tells you what it needs. It's not worth it to cut all sugars because you're damaging your body from the inside.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Oh my god. I'm assuming you mean processed and refined sugars and so all the answers banging on about cutting out fruit and vegetables have gone the wrong way entirely?

If so, yes I have, once. I did a January "detox" (dirty word I know but I don't know what else to call it). I stopped alcohol, caffeine, salt, sugar, meat, dairy and wheat for 1 month only and largely to see what effect it would have. When I reintroduced those foods, the biggest headache I've ever had in my life came from the sugar. It was an interesting experiment but life's FAR too short to eat like that always.

If you want to cut down, CUT DOWN. That's all.

What the hell else was there left to eat after cutting out everything under the sun? Did you live off of the grass in your back yard?
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Well, if we're going to get technical, all edible plants are vegetables and only some edible plants are fruits. But, that still doesn't mean that a person would be unhealthy if they ate none of the vegetables that are also fruits.

What? No? They're "grouped" as vegetables, but the seeding is what makes something a fruit or not. Lettuce = vegetable, cucumber = fruit, for example. Not sure where you're getting your "technical" from, because we could always pull out legality, since tomatoes are legally a vegetable in the U.S. (legally). I'm pointing out the inanity of cutting out an entire sector of food that has vital micronutrients, because of one critically misunderstood element: sugar.

Edit: Forget it.
  • PrincessMissDee
    PrincessMissDee Posts: 183 Member
    Options

What the hell else was there left to eat after cutting out everything under the sun? Did you live off of the grass in your back yard?

Yes, exactly! :noway:

No, I ate fruit, vegetables, pulses, beans, grains other than wheat, there's loads. I have had chronic IBS for years and it was nice to give my body a break and work out what really affects it rather than guess.

Not recommending it or anything unless you medically need to do an elimination diet.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

What? No? They're "grouped" as vegetables, but the seeding is what makes something a fruit or not. Lettuce = vegetable, cucumber = fruit, for example. Not sure where you're getting your "technical" from, because we could always pull out legality, since tomatoes are legally a vegetable in the U.S. (legally). I'm pointing out the inanity of cutting out an entire sector of food that has vital micronutrients, because of one critically misunderstood element: sugar.

Edit: Forget it.

By technical I mean the definition of the words 'vegetable' and 'fruit'. Vegetable is any edible part of plants. Fruit is the seed bearing part of a plant.

If you want to get into other definitions we could argue all day. Strawberries, fruit or no? Tomatoes, vegetable or no? But that's off point, as is what you find inane.

My post simply asked someone to backup the statement that not eating fruits would make one unhealthy. No one yet has, and I don't think they can.
  • summerelisabeth
    Options
    I cut out sugar completely and I am on day 4 of doing so. Do NOT cut out sugars from fruits. They are natural sugars and have minerals and vitamins compared to other foods. The things you want to cut out are cookies, processed foods of ANY kind, juices, sweetners, soda, coffee and any other beverages other than low fat skim milk and water. Be sure to cut out all processed foods as that has helped me a ton! Eat cleaner just don't worry about sugars in fruits.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Well, the thread made it almost a year without being pulled from the dead.