Fiber Question

Options
My doctor told me to increase my fiber intake. She didn't tell me how much fiber to get per day, but just to increase it a little. My question is this - according to the Mayo Clinic website, I should be getting 25 grams of fiber per day. But, on MFP here, my fiber goal default is 13.8 grams per day. Why is that?? Does increased fiber increase calorie intake? I thought fiber is supposed to make you feel full so I would think that would decrease your calories.

How many grams of fiber does everyone else strive for??

Replies

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I need around 40 grams for things to function normally. Berries and lentils are very high in fiber; I have them almost every day.
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    How funny! I just posted a question about Fiber as well! According to MFP--I go over my fiber intake daily. I honestly have no idea what amount I need, or if too much (according to MFP) is bad.
  • kjimmie4848
    kjimmie4848 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    MFP says 14 but I go over everyday. Whole grain, lower carb stuff seems to have a lot of fiber and I have been adding ground flax seed to food.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I try to get at least 30g a day. As a note, be sure to drink plenty of water when first increasing your fiber intake to avoid constipation.

I get mine from nuts, oatmeal, vegetables, fruit, and a protein supplement with added fiber.
  • sklebar
    sklebar Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    My daily fibre goal is 24 grams a day. I do about 30 grams a day. Lots of veg..
  • Shreddingitnow
    Options
    30gr usually
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    the MFP default values are not the best values for everyone, mostly they seem to be set to be quite easy to achieve, rather than what's optimal. Anyway, you can adjust your fibre goal in custom goals. Be careful when you track it though, most user entered foods in the database won't have the fibre listed in them as most people just monitor protein fat and carbs. So you could easily be getting more fibre than MFP says

as for what foods, fruits, vegetables and whole grains are good sources of fibre.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you change your caloric intake higher your fiber will increase as well. MFP uses a % of cals, when it should be a fixed amount. From what I have seen the recommended amount is 25 or 30 grams, depending on the source. That said if you are currently getting less than that you will want to ensure you drink more water and make sure you have enough fat in your diet in order for it to do its job.
  • bethanylaugh
    Options
    Fiber is good for you because it turns into short chain fatty acids in your gut. Skip the gross tasting food and have some coconut oil instead! :)
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    So, is too much fiber ever going to be bad? I think MFP has me at 17g/day. I go over every day. Some days it is in the 20's, others the 30's, but there have been days it has been in the 50's.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Fiber is good for you because it turns into short chain fatty acids in your gut. Skip the gross tasting food and have some coconut oil instead! :)

I am with you on the coconut oil, I have 1 tbs every morning with my hot pumpkin smoothie: 1 cup pure pumpkin, 1 tbs almond butter, 1 tbs coconut oil, 1 tbs pumpkin butter and 1 cup hot milk - pour in blender with other ingredients and you have a nice hot smoothie for breakfast. Far cheaper than Starbucks and healthier.

I use either pure pumpkin from the can or boil my own squash and keep in fridge - I love Japanese pumpkin
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Drink plenty of water, and increase the fiber slowly. I would suggest avoiding items like cereal bars loaded with extra fiber (like Fiber One); from personal experience they can give you a lot of gas. The Fiber One cereal itself doesn't bother me, nor does the fiber added to breads.

I eat shredded wheat, oatmeal, beans, broccoli, whole grain breads/torillas/english muffins, potatoes with skin, apples...these all have good amounts of fiber. I aim for 30 grams a day.
  • tegalicious
    Options
    I tend to get anywhere from 50-100 grams a day. I like my whole grains, fruits, veggies, and nuts :). I also get at least 12 cups of water as well so the high amount doesn't bother me.
  • Cinloykko
    Cinloykko Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I dont know how much fiber i need either. I am alwayssssss constipated. My doc told me to up my fiber. I upped it to 25g per day (nothing) --> 30g per day (nothing --> 45g per day --> up to 52g per day (with the help of supplements)... and still no change. And these were not temp changes. I did every step for at least a month each and still no change.

i read that too high of a fiber intake is bad too. so now i have no clue what to do. lol. i think it is trial and error to find your personal perfect number. im still on the hunt. In the meantime, if you are dealing with constipation - some meds (like docolax or miralax) help, magnesium, and prunes work too.

Fiber is great at keeping you full and it helps you go to the bathroom, hence more weight loss. what goes in MUST come back out... as nasty as that sounds..... but it doesnt increase or decrease calories at all. Just eat at your calories, but choose foods that are higher in fiber to help things along.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Your doctor was probably basing it on your calorie goal while the website uses the "average" person. MFP fiber goal changes as your calorie goals change. I usually try to get about 21.