How do you squat???

Options
13»

Replies

• Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    People need to stop with the "knees not past toes" advice. It's just not true. For some people, their knees will not track beyond their toes. For other people, they will. It all depends on a person's height and specific torso and leg lengths. Better advice about knees is to ensure that the knees track over the toes, toes are pointed out slightly, and that the knees are pushed out to stay in line with the toes, and if they track past the toes, it's perfectly ok.

This^.

This is a good example of the knees in front of the toes for Front, High Bar, & Low Bar Squatting. If you do an Air Squat w/hands in front, you're be pretty much in the same position as the first picture.

squat-variants.jpg

Worry more about your DEPTH, not your knees over toes. Quarter Squats are one of the worst things you can do for your knees! You should be squatting just below parallel, regardless if it's a weighted squat or not.
  • kellenas
    kellenas Posts: 154
    Options
    People need to stop with the "knees not past toes" advice. It's just not true. For some people, their knees will not track beyond their toes. For other people, they will. It all depends on a person's height and specific torso and leg lengths. Better advice about knees is to ensure that the knees track over the toes, toes are pointed out slightly, and that the knees are pushed out to stay in line with the toes, and if they track past the toes, it's perfectly ok.

Thank you for this, because when I was in the gym today watching my form on squats, I couldn't for the life of me keep my knees from extending a little past my toes. I got so frustrated. I was pushing my butt back, hinging my hips, everything looked good, but that.
  • erikamadden84
    erikamadden84 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I do squats with the smith machine. I heard that it was good and had min results. Is that true? Does anyone know.
  • Cathi888
    Cathi888 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Just to confirm, your feet are supposed to stay flat on the floor, correct?
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Options

If they're not on the floor, then where are they?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I do squats with the smith machine. I heard that it was good and had min results. Is that true? Does anyone know.
    The Smith machine is horrible for every lift, but probably the worst with squats. Natural squatting motion isn't a perfectly vertical line, however the Smith machine forces you into unnatural motions to maintain the perfectly vertical bar path. It's a perfect recipe for horrific back and knee injuries, especially because the Smith machine will allow you to unrack way more weight than you safely should, which can be catastrophic. A buddy of mine told me about a horror story he saw at the gym last weekend involving the Smith machine, a girl was squatting, the bar went straight down, and her knees bent backwards.

Avoid that machine. Never go near the Smith machine. Your body, particularly the stabilizer muscles that the Smith machine ignores, will thank you for it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

If they're not on the floor, then where are they?

Oh, ha ha. Yes, flat on the floor. Keep your heels down.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Worry more about your DEPTH, not your knees over toes. Quarter Squats are one of the worst things you can do for your knees! You should be squatting just below parallel, regardless if it's a weighted squat or not.

Meh, I was taught to go to parallel and keep my knees not past toes. Never had any problems with it, and have had great results. I don't doubt there are other ways to squat, but I don't believe there is anything at all wrong with not letting knees go past toes.
  • AZ_Gato
    AZ_Gato Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    The Smith machine is horrible for every lift, but probably the worst with squats. Natural squatting motion isn't a perfectly vertical line, however the Smith machine forces you into unnatural motions to maintain the perfectly vertical bar path. It's a perfect recipe for horrific back and knee injuries, especially because the Smith machine will allow you to unrack way more weight than you safely should, which can be catastrophic. A buddy of mine told me about a horror story he saw at the gym last weekend involving the Smith machine, a girl was squatting, the bar went straight down, and her knees bent backwards.

Avoid that machine. Never go near the Smith machine. Your body, particularly the stabilizer muscles that the Smith machine ignores, will thank you for it.

Everyone says stay away from the smith. Coming from a guy who needs a full knee reconstruction in one with no MCL on the other, the Smith was my only safe choice for working out my legs and at same time mimic the motion of a free weight back squat. Yes, poster is correct about loading up the weight to unsafe proportions; however, if one uses a safe amount of weight and practices proper form, you can still benefit.

How do I know? In the past three weeks I've stopped using the smith machine and have gone to free weight back squats. My Smith Machine PR was 345lbs, my free weight PR is now 385lbs. It would be safe to assume that the Smith machine did a sufficient job of training my legs.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Options

Meh, I was taught to go to parallel and keep my knees not past toes. Never had any problems with it, and have had great results. I don't doubt there are other ways to squat, but I don't believe there is anything at all wrong with not letting knees go past toes.

Never said it's wrong to not go past toes. Just stating that it's not bad if your knees go over your toes when squatting. I will disagree about going "just to parallel". Going just BELOW parallel will protect your knees more, as now you have engaged your Hamstrings more, giving your knees an equal "pull" from both the Quads and the Hamstrings.

Factors such as your depth of squat, squat stance, bar position on back, and individual anthropometry will be the determining factors as to whether or not your knees go over your toes or not.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    65hOu81.jpg

I'm sure that's great form when the majority of your weight is your head. I'm not saying the notes are wrong, but this baby picture is the grandma chainmail of Stronglifts 5x5.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    65hOu81.jpg

Sick form... lol