Has anyone used an elliptical as a main source of cardio and

Options
I want to get an elliptical for weight loss. I know cardio is the best way to lose weight (with proper diet). BUT I want to know if others have had success losing weight working out on an elliptical. Also, I know you cant JUST do one exercise to lose weight. I want to use the elliptical for cardio and strength training and yoga combined with it. Any bad or good elliptical cardio advice?

Replies

• maletac
    maletac Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    i did it when i first started... but honestly you really need to mix it up... even doing tae bo or anything else that gets your heart up there...

so in my opinion yes its great... but maybe not your only cardio.. you should always vary
  • JBennis1013
    JBennis1013 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I use the elliptical as my main source of cardio. Of course you have to change up the exercises on it. I have had success on it!
  • Memah
    Memah Posts: 129
    Options
    At the gym where I go I use what is called a semi-recumbent elliptical, which is a seated elliptical. I like it very much as it doesn't stress my back. I have a recumbent bike at home which I use. Other cardio that I do includes treadmill and bike. I know it's good to vary your routine, so after stretching I might jump on the bike, then do some strength exercises, back to the elliptical, more strength training, then the treadmill. I try to do things in a different order every day. My trainer just added a couple new machines last week, so I now have more variety. I am also beginning some additional core work at home.

It's easy to get into a routine, or should I say, more like a rut where exercise is concerned, and just about the time our body gets accustomed to what we're doing we need to change it up. This isn't always easy, but I'm trying.

Good luck to you.
  • Tuplatano
    Tuplatano Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hi JaDore,
    about 5 years ago i lost around 50-60 LBS just by working out on the Elliptical and eating extremelly healthy.
    I gained the weight back due to me being a Badboy (overeating, no workout). I started my challenge to lose the weight back again.
    I'm using the Elliptical again to lose the weight because I did it before and I know it works. So far in 4 weeks i lost 13 LBS using the elliptical and sometime walk on the treadmill. I use the elliptical about 75% of the time and the treadmill about 25%.
    I have nothing but positive things to say about the elliptical base on my experience with it.
  • Mehs
    Mehs Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I don't use it all the time but it does give an excellent calorie burn. I usually get 10cal/min. You may get bored with it though if that's the only thing you're going to do and it could end up being an expensive clothes rack. :laugh: .
  • DJackson230
    Options
    simply love the elyptical...
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    When I lost my initial weight my only cardio was the elliptical, also I did a couple of days a week of an exercise video with low weights. That coupled with a good diet, I was able to go from 125 pounds of flab to 105 pounds in 4 months.
  • jadorecouture
    jadorecouture Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I use the elliptical as my main source of cardio. Of course you have to change up the exercises on it. I have had success on it!
    Thanks. Yeah, I am looking into different routines to cut the boredom. :-)
  • jadorecouture
    Options
    Hi JaDore,
    about 5 years ago i lost around 50-60 LBS just by working out on the Elliptical and eating extremelly healthy.
    I gained the weight back due to me being a Badboy (overeating, no workout). I started my challenge to lose the weight back again.
    I'm using the Elliptical again to lose the weight because I did it before and I know it works. So far in 4 weeks i lost 13 LBS using the elliptical and sometime walk on the treadmill. I use the elliptical about 75% of the time and the treadmill about 25%.
    I have nothing but positive things to say about the elliptical base on my experience with it.
    Thank you. That is exactly what I wanted to know. Good luck to you!
  • jadorecouture
    Options
    At the gym where I go I use what is called a semi-recumbent elliptical, which is a seated elliptical. I like it very much as it doesn't stress my back. I have a recumbent bike at home which I use. Other cardio that I do includes treadmill and bike. I know it's good to vary your routine, so after stretching I might jump on the bike, then do some strength exercises, back to the elliptical, more strength training, then the treadmill. I try to do things in a different order every day. My trainer just added a couple new machines last week, so I now have more variety. I am also beginning some additional core work at home.

It's easy to get into a routine, or should I say, more like a rut where exercise is concerned, and just about the time our body gets accustomed to what we're doing we need to change it up. This isn't always easy, but I'm trying.

Good luck to you.
    Thanks for the info and the well wishes, def need them right about now. :-)