Fell off the wagon with a splat!!!

Options
I was doing so great, I had lost almost 100 lbs, I got my weight to begin with a 1 for the first time in years. I was looking and more importantly feeling great! I was in full control of my diet and I was exercising all the time. I had no urge to eat bad food and was enjoying life for the first time in a long time. The it seemed like overnight I was craving and eating bad foods, I began to go on food benders and feel tired and hungry all the time. Weight has been slowly creeping back on, and oh boy does it ever come on easier than it leaves!
I know you are thinking, just suck it up and go back to the way you were doing things, but it is not that easy. Every single moment of every day is a battle. I have good days and really bad days, and sometimes really bad days. I get so mad at myself for not doing what I know I need to do.
I vow that I am going to get back there, it is going to be a fight but I am worth the work and I am going to do this, I just need to find my way back!!

Replies

• Julesaf
    Julesaf Posts: 36
    Options
    Good luck! You've already accomplished so much!
  • biodeb
    biodeb Posts: 19
    Options
    Don't be too hard yourself... but DO be firm.

I'm an emotional eater, so if something happens in my life that causes me stress - I turn to food, often before I realize what I'm doing. Lately, my approach has been -- paying attention to what I'm feeling and NOT to suppress those feelings with food.

The good news for you is that you have been so successful. You know from experience that you can do it. Set some simple goals to get yourself back on track and be good to yourself. :happy:
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    **offers Heather a hand up back on the bandwagon.....and a hand towel to clean up the mess from that splat**

I think the first thing you need to do to get back on track is to evaluate what is triggering you to regress. You will battle the food demons more successfully if you can uncover this part of yourself and learn a more effective way to deal with it.

You CAN do this. You've got a great track record. :) Try to take just one day at a time. When you wake tomorrow tell yourself that you will master just THAT ONE day. The next day do the same thing, etc. etc. Focus on one thing at a time until you feel you have regained control, which you WILL do. You've done it before and I believe in you.

Hang in there! I hope this helps! :)
  • Bigpelly8
    Bigpelly8 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Now is the time for you to get back on track. You need 2 reasons?? Look at the weight loss ticker on your signature. Theres two beautiful kids in that picture that want you around for a long time!! You've done it before, so you know you can do it again. Be strong!!! We are here for you.
  • caramel827
    caramel827 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I know EXACTLY how you feel! A lifetime weightloss loser/gainer this time around I have ALMOST reached the 50 pound mark. I am 2 pounds away-and 16 from goal..but yet something is not working. Despite all the weight I have lost I am finding it so hard to knock off the last few so I totally understand what you mean and how you feel-I too have been fighting off the desire for "bad" food...

That being said We CAN ..no we WILL conquer and push through this rough patch. We know what to do we just need to do it. Right now for me I am focusing on simply not gaining. If I lose good-if not I just want to maintain the current weight. It also helps me see if I can maintain my current lifestyle change. I will go back and knock of those last 16 pounds-I know it. But for now I am in neutral! And that's okay!!

I wanted you to know that you are not alone and you can do it!!!!!
  • Bermudabarbie
    Bermudabarbie Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I just read your profile and looked at your pictures! You are gorgeous. It is always interesting when people state that they want to lose weight for their children or husbands or grandchildren. These people will love you if you are fat or thin. In your case, you also had the Biggest Loser competition. That is over.

Now you have to put yourself on the top of the list. This is no time to be self sacrificing. YOU have to want it for YOU.

It's not selfish. You are the one who has to make your food and fitness decisions every day. Do it for yourself first. It's not selfish. You are worth it!

Add me as a friend if you'd like!

I know you can do this. Get back in gear!
  • esq2man
    esq2man Posts: 30
    Options
    carbs are addictive and cause cravings and crashes. you didn't fall off the wagon, you just stumbled a bit.. you know you can resume your healthy lifestyle. good luck
  • Jonatshaja
    Options
    Good luck! You've already accomplished so much!

I agree!!!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,384 Member
    Options
    For every pound that is hard to lose it is so much easier to gain 3 pounds. It can takes us weeks to lose 3 pounds and in 1 to 2 days of really bad eating we can gain 3 pounds. I know from experience.

I know you will get back in the groove. It is important to stop getting upset when you mess up. This is not a all or nothing thing here. This is for life. so none of us are perfect and it is unrealistic to expect it. consistency is key and you will get there. It is important to not give up. Don't give up! Not giving up is success already. Keep up the good work Heather!
  • 1QueenB
    1QueenB Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Heather, you are the best and don't you ever forget that!!! Take that licking (no pun intended) and keep on ticking!!!! You will achieve your goals because you know how important they are for not just you, but for your family!!!!! We have all been there, so when you think you are failing, look at your successes!!!!:drinker:
  • jsheph1
    jsheph1 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Food can be an addiction and like other addictions it can only take one brief period of inattentiveness or rationalization to fall back into an unhealthy cycle. It can be extremely difficult to break the cycle again. It is not your fault that you are an addict. Do not feel bad that you did what comes very naturally to you. Learn from your mistakes. Why did this unhealthy cycle start? How can you prevent it from happening again? Sometimes it can take something drastic to break out and get back into the proper frame of mind. Maybe you should consider hiring a trainer for a few sessions.
  • azmomof2
    azmomof2 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Hey Heather just a guess but have you dealt with depression or anxiety? Or are you going through a stressful time? I put most of my weight on after having kids and not making time for myself (not an excuse that was wrong and a bad example) but a few years back I went through a really hard time emotionally and life was truly a battle every day. I sank into a deep depression and ate and couldn't force myself to do anything except to take care of my kids needs. Anyway obviously I'm aware and always watch out for signs of it sneaking back in.

Sorry my point is if you are facing difficult times it's hard to push yourself to get out and do more and pass up the fast food places but you can do it! Friends and family and just taking up new hobbies help. You are stronger than food and stronger than cravings! You already look amazing get back on the wagon and don't look back :flowerforyou:

**spelling and such lol
  • sunflower0022
    sunflower0022 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'm here for you.. I have done this a few times now.. this is my 3rd time. the last 2 times I lost over 100lbs.. only to pile it back on.. and fast!
    Hang in there.. you are doing wonderful! Remember that you can do it!!
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I have done some yo yo ing in my life, but this time around, I figured out that I seem to have three "triggers" that make me crave carbs and sugar.

1) Artificial sweeteners. I only use Stevia now, so that took care of that.

2) Eating carbs and sugary things makes me want more. The solution is tough it out for about 3 days, and the cravings subside. I have discovered that pitted prunes are very satisfying as a sweet, and keep me from jumping into the candy bag.

3) Alcohol. Since I have become much more attuned to my cravings, I recently experienced a weekend where there was a lot of alcohol consumed. In addition to making me retain water, since there was also a lot of sodium-laden food consumed, I found that for 2-3 days after the event, I was craving sugary carbs like crazy.

I have managed to keep myself within 5 lbs. of my lowest weight by taking immediate steps to regain control.

I don't know if my experience will help you, but I am sharing the info, in case it will help you identify things in your own environment that have similar effects.

Think how hard you have worked to get rid of the weight that remains gone (I say "gone", rather than "lost"--which implies you might "find" it again. Another thing I did was get rid of all pants that were too big. The prospect of having nothing to wear was a powerful incentive to getting back on the straight and narrow.

Good luck to you. You CAN do this!! YOU are WORTH it!!!
  • doris_day
    doris_day Posts: 159
    Options
    More than half of the contestants from the Biggest Loser TV show, have gained more than half or all the weight back they lost. There's a reason for that. This is really really hard for some of us. Please don't be discouraged. Look at your MFP signature - you can do it.
    I love this site because you are surrounded by people that believe in you and are here to support you.

I like to have one "pity-party" day and then start again. If it were easy, we wouldn't need or be on this site. I'm taking it one day at a time. Let's start today.
  • HeatherCanDoIt
    HeatherCanDoIt Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Thanks to you all for reading and responding. I found the tips very helpful and it is so nice to know that I am not alone. I realize that I am going to struggle with food and my weight for the rest of my life and I am just going to have to fight really hard and do it for me!!!