Eat less or more to gain muscle?

Options
I'm trying to work out what to eat and how much to eat to make my muscles visible, I am currently weigh 60g and eat around 1,500 calories a day . I'm going to try to eat 2,150 with 160 g of carbs, 108g of protein and 119g of fat with working out 3 times a week to gain muscle , is this good?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    To make whatever muscle you have visible you need to cut fat. To build muscle you need a surplus of calories...just like "building" fat...small surplus of calories to build muscle, small deficit to cut fat.

keep in mind that body recomp work is "detail" work...just like any detail work, it takes a lot of time...not days or weeks, think months and years.
  • mickstereftb
    mickstereftb Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Not sure about the actual macro's of what you should eat but the general consensus is 1 gram of protein per 1lb of lean body weight. To make your muscles visible then a calorie deficit to lose body fat is what you need. That will give you pronounced definition. I wonder if you mean that you want bigger muscles and increased mass? Then you need to eat more to fuel your body. Take a look here and fill your details in and in step 6 choose ''gain muscle. lose fat''.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • IrfanKoric
    Options
    Visible muscles come from low body fat percentage and bulky muscles. The question you should probably ask yourself is how big do you want those muscles to look. What a lot of people do is bulk (calorie surplus) during the winter months, and cut (calorie deficit) during the summer months to show off those bulky muscles. But calorie deficit eventually leads to muscle mass loss.

To answer your question weather you should eat less or more to gain muscle, you should eat more. Concentrate on eating and drinking healthy though, don't eat or drink junk. And of course you have to work out. Its easier said than done but general formula is eat and lift big to get big. You just have to figure out how big and how lean you really want to be. It takes discipline and time. Diet in my opinion is the hardest part.

Hope it helps. Best wishes.
  • princesscamilleee
    Options
    Sorry to hijack ur comment but how do I start a topic on here...need some advise. ..camille xxx
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Have you used a legit calculator like iifym.com to get those macros? I eat more protein that that daily (minimum 131g) and I only weigh 56kg. You need to consume more protein definitely. Protein builds muscle bottom line. You need 1.25-1.5 per lb of body weight from everything I've read to build mass.
  • bradylogan1979
    Options
    Don't bulk that low. I wasted a whole year working out with not one single oz of muscle gained. You should be eating at least 3500 calories. If you eat that low you'll plateau. Don't worry about gaining a little fat:smile:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Visible muscles come from low body fat percentage and bulky muscles.
    Bulky muscles? Bulk is considered a combination of fat and muscle gain. So how do you have low body fat with bulky muscles? Muscle is muscle and bulky would be describing someone who's obviously got muscle but retains a lot of body fat to cover it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • IrfanKoric
    Options
    Bulky muscles? Bulk is considered a combination of fat and muscle gain. So how do you have low body fat with bulky muscles? Muscle is muscle and bulky would be describing someone who's obviously got muscle but retains a lot of body fat to cover it.

Bulky as in big. Meaning it really stands out without looking too lengthy as in, having a bulging look.
  • charleyreedto175
    charleyreedto175 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    AT 132 pounds if you want to cut your body to show off you will have to really work on your diet.

For bulk gain you will need a lot of fuel and weight.
  • Thor2020
    Thor2020 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Eat more to gain muscle. Carb up before a workout and replenish after a workout with protein...try to get in some of that leucine amino acid as well.

I'm not certified in anything....this is simply what has been working for me....generically speaking.
    I'm trying to work out what to eat and how much to eat to make my muscles visible, I am currently weigh 60g and eat around 1,500 calories a day . I'm going to try to eat 2,150 with 160 g of carbs, 108g of protein and 119g of fat with working out 3 times a week to gain muscle , is this good?
  • Lizzieliz29
    Options
    If you haven't come across it yet. check out http://www.musclehack.com Mark will tell you every thing you need to know to gain muscle & keep fat low, for free! I gained 12lbs in 3 months, using his Total Six Pack Abs Program, but I was a newbie to lifting. good luck!
  • AndieBabe13
    Options
    As a side note: Remember not to neglect doing Cardio and/or supersets with cardio-burst intervals--then you'll start to see definition.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Don't bulk that low. I wasted a whole year working out with not one single oz of muscle gained. You should be eating at least 3500 calories. If you eat that low you'll plateau. Don't worry about gaining a little fat:smile:

You are telling a female to bulk on 3,500?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    - do you know your BF%?

- how much weight do you think you still have to lose?

- do you know your average TDEE? If not, were you losing on 1,500 and if so, how much were you losing on average?

[first glance, and this is a guess without your stats - but your protein looks to be too low and your fats too high)
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Bulky as in big. Meaning it really stands out without looking too lengthy as in, having a bulging look.
    Not a good description since a "ripped" body builder isn't described as bulky but extremely muscular. One who would fit a "bulking" look would be a powerlifter. Big muscle with no real definition.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    As a side note: Remember not to neglect doing Cardio and/or supersets with cardio-burst intervals--then you'll start to see definition.
    While it helps with calorie increase, diet is going to be the determining factor for body fat loss. One could do the above, but if there isn't a calorie deficit, then definition isn't going to be very likely.

IDEA Fitness member
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Nice one size fits all application of fail here....
  • Roneillelizabeth
    Options
    What if your trying to gain weight and muscle? I just keep losing weight. Help!?
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options

Not a good description since a "ripped" body builder isn't described as bulky but extremely muscular. One who would fit a "bulking" look would be a powerlifter. Big muscle with no real definition.

IDEA Fitness member

not -all- powerlifters mind ;)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    What if your trying to gain weight and muscle? I just keep losing weight. Help!?

eat more and lift weights...reduce cardio