What to do for shakiness/hunger?

Options

Replies

• jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    first think about opening your dairy so we can help you along the way. I know you have heard to stay away from the protein shakes but when I started this. I had a protein shake every morning. I use GNC lean shakes (make sure they are cold) for me they prevented me from having carb and sugar cravings. Water, water, water. Can say that enough. Try not to use your calories on empty calories and plan ahead. If you know you have 1500 calories a day.. that is still 400 per breakfast, lunch and dinner with 300 left for snacking! thats a lot of food! I do this on a 1200 calorie diet! (I am 5 foot 2) Smarter choices. Special k bars, fruits and veges (i disagree with eating these mindlessly, sorry) try almonds they are very filling. Get rid of empty calorie soda's and replace your high calorie juices with water, this will leave MORE calories for things that can be chewed :) By the way, I use to get those shakes after drinking lots of diet sodas on an empty stomach....just a thought.
  • Keep_The_Laughter
    Keep_The_Laughter Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    well, having read a few posts of Steve, I think he talks a lot of sense and he comes across as someone very knowledgeable. My own knowledge is that unless you are diabetic, pre-diabetic (in which case you might suffer a huge drop in blood sugar several hours folliwing a large high carb meal) or have some other medical illness....some kind person in a previous post listed the majority (although I question the "fasting" reason) it is highly unlikely that a morbidly obese person is going to suffer a hypoglycaemic episode from a reduction in her daily calorie intake. So, OP! my advice to you (and anyone else who this might appky to) is seek medical advice and either ask for a random capillary blood sugar or a full glucose tolerance test...that will sort it out :smile:

Seeking medical advice is perfectly reasonable. Advising people you don't know, who may have medical issues you know nothing about, to ignore his/her physiology is not reasonable. It is dangerous.

See your doctor = Talking sense
    Ignore your physiology = Dangerous

Not to put too fine a point on it, but the OP was thoughtful enough to report that eating more protein helped her resolve the issue. The solution was not to ignore her physiological response.
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    well, having read a few posts of Steve, I think he talks a lot of sense and he comes across as someone very knowledgeable. My own knowledge is that unless you are diabetic, pre-diabetic (in which case you might suffer a huge drop in blood sugar several hours folliwing a large high carb meal) or have some other medical illness....some kind person in a previous post listed the majority (although I question the "fasting" reason) it is highly unlikely that a morbidly obese person is going to suffer a hypoglycaemic episode from a reduction in her daily calorie intake. So, OP! my advice to you (and anyone else who this might appky to) is seek medical advice and either ask for a random capillary blood sugar or a full glucose tolerance test...that will sort it out :smile:

Seeking medical advice is perfectly reasonable. Advising people you don't know, who may have medical issues you know nothing about, to ignore his/her physiology is not reasonable. It is dangerous.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but the OP was thoughtful enough to report that eating more protein helped her resolve the issue. The solution was not to ignore her physiological response.

gosh...now where did I say "ignore your symptons"??

In fact, I suggest she does get medical advice as suffering a hypoglycaemic episode is HIGHLY unusual in non-diabetics :-)
  • NaughtyNancy69
    Options
    just eat
  • shaneriddle
    shaneriddle Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You should be eating every 2.5 to 3 hours (starting with breakfast within 45 minutes of waking) and providing your body with consistent sustained nutrition throughout the day. Low glycemic (sugar) meals are best as they will help regulate the amount of insulin your body is producing and keep you from experiencing peaks and valleys common with a typical American diet. If you have made major dietary changes in the past few days and you are cutting a massive amount (and type) of calories shakiness and hunger are not uncommon.
    There are ways to avoid this though and if you are interested here are a couple of resources to help:
    http://chooseahealthylifetoday.blogspot.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Choose-a-Healthy-Life-Health-Coaches/161022420719509

Lose weight quickly and effectively while feeling great. It's possible and we help people do it every day!
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Admitedly, I have not read the entire thread, but you could be hypoglycemic, which some people are, prior to developing type 2 diabetes. You are making a positive change, watching what you eat and losing weight, so that hopefully, if this is the case, you will never develop diabetes!

The best way to combat hypoglycemia is to eat approx. 5 to 6 times daily. Have a breakfast that includes protein, about 2 to 3 hours later have a snack, around 150-200 calories, that includes some protein. Peanut butter on apple slices or celery. Cheese and crackers, etc.

2-3 hours later have lunch, then an afternoon snack, again with protein. Then have dinner and an additional snack prior to going to bed. The snacks do not have to be large, but should be enough that you feel as if you have had a snack. Your meals can be a little bigger, my biggest meal is dinner.

Best of luck to you, hopefully, if you try this it will help keep your blood glucose stable!!
  • Keep_The_Laughter
    Options

In fact, I suggest she does get medical advice as suffering a hypoglycaemic episode is HIGHLY unusual in non-diabetics :-)

Your suggestions made perfect sense and were respectful of the OP's health. Please know that I would never intentionally imply that anyone has said the outrageous things Steve098 said. My apologies if this was unclear, because....

Steve098 has been vocally resisting the idea that the OP should address her symptoms as reported. He even went as far as arguing with medical professionals, and med students, who suggested that the OP would benefit most from dealing directly with her doctor for medical issues if her symptoms persisted.
  • I did the same thing today. I started dieting yesterday and I blew it this morning and afternoon. I basically starved myself yesterday. I was trying to start a detox diet. The weird part is , when I started the diet all I could think about was food,all types of food! I felt like Iwas torturing myself because I chose a really strict diet to follow. Even tho I "messed up" I still tried to choose something healthier the next time I ate........ And I did choose something healthier. Even tho I didn't stick to my detox diet I didn't give up on dieting or eating healthier. Everytime I go out or go to the kitchen it's a battle but just for now. I know if I keep at it a healthy lifestyle will be 2nd nature for me. ...... Basically don't give up and don't beat yourself up
  • chatogal
    Options

Your suggestions made perfect sense and were respectful of the OP's health. Please know that I would never intentionally imply that anyone has said the outrageous things Steve098 said. My apologies if this was unclear, because....

Steve098 has been vocally resisting the idea that the OP should address her symptoms as reported. He even went as far as arguing with medical professionals, and med students, who suggested that the OP would benefit most from dealing directly with her doctor for medical issues if her symptoms persisted.

ok, point taken and ty. However, I have a strong hunch that Steve knows what he is talking about. Not sure if I read everything correctly but I think he was suggesting that it would be extremely unlikely for someone to go into hypoglycaemic coma when they are NOT diabetic...this I most definetly agree with. It would even be unlikely for someone with type II diabetes, unless they are insulin controlled. Of course I am open to being educated and if anyone knows any better I would most definitely be interested in learning this. Thank you :smile:
  • Keep_The_Laughter
    Options

ok, point taken and ty. However, I have a strong hunch that Steve knows what he is talking about. Not sure if I read everything correctly but I think he was suggesting that it would be extremely unlikely for someone to go into hypoglycaemic coma when they are NOT diabetic...this I most definetly agree with. It would even be unlikely for someone with type II diabetes, unless they are insulin controlled. Of course I am open to being educated and if anyone knows any better I would most definitely be interested in learning this. Thank you :smile:

I have a strong feeling that Steve is using this thread as a platform for addressing his cultural critique, rather than the issues facing the OP. The OP said she got hungry then the shakes and binged in the aftermath. She did also state that she is not diabetic when asked. She did not report medical issues beyond that.

Going into a discussion of what he feels obese people do not understand about their hunger did not address the 2 immediate issues. Issue 1 is that that dizziness, shakes, sudden headache, blurred vision and so forth are outward symptoms of failing chemical reactions. Secondly, binging is also added stress to the body. Suggesting to the OP that drinking water when she has the shakes and not addressing the issue of true hunger was selfish, in that the OP divulged that result of trying to ignore the hunger led to shakes and a binge. All of that was followed by arguing against seeing a physician on Steve's part. The OP reported that changing her macro intake provided relief, yet the banging on continued.

Not saying that the OP has the following health issue, or that we have any right to know anything about her, but Steve's approach ignores things like the following:

One third of all women have fibroid tumors, most cause women few to no problems, but
    That number can go up to 45% (depending on ethnicty/race and sensitivity to vitamin D)
    There is evidence that certain types of fibroids interact with the fluctuations resultant from insulin resistance
    There is robust evidence that insulin will stimulate growth of fibroid tissue
    The location of a fibroid growth can severely impact blood pressure and circulation
    Fibroid growth is elevated in women with BMI's over 25
    Insulin resistance, raised blood pressure and elevated weight all play into metabolic syndrome

None or all of these things could be impacting the average woman just based on the increased anabolic effect of estrogen on an otherwise healthy woman who gains weight. Scenarios like these are the reason it is problematic to go so rigidly into one way of thinking without caution. This is just one example of common health issues that may or may not cause other reactions or illness.

But in this case we have Occam's razor in full effect. The simple solution was indeed correct. The OP changed what she ate and recovered. She felt better and was able to not binge. Both of the problems were solved by starting with the obvious, in this case eating the appropriate food. Steve098 has never bothered to acknowledge this, but continued on with discussing what his opinions of the behavior of obese people indicates.

The actual behavior that the OP displayed was very sound. She encountered stressors to her body and weight loss regime, and she acknowledged that her initial responses did not yield the desired result. She used the forums to ask for suggestions and assistance in resolving the issue. She tried the easiest and most likely solution. It worked. All of this was achievable without advising the OP to ignore human physiology.
  • ewashkurak
    Options
    Hi -
    My name is Erin, I am getting started... again. However the sad part for me is that I actually have an education in Nutrition (among other things health related)... (embarrassed... I guess those who can't do teach lol) However, shakiness is usually low blood sugar levels - either try to space out your meals/snacks more (3 - 4 hours), make sure you are measuring your portions, and know what a portion is eg: (chicken, beef, pork 4 oz, white fish 5 oz raw... most veggies and fruit at 1 cup/serving, pasta is 1/2 cup, rice is 1/4 cup, 1 slice of regular bread or 1 slices of weight watchers bread is 1 serving of starch etc...) and know how many portions you should be having daily, while keeping within your caloric limit. Depending on how much weight you want to lose and where you are starting from I could give you more specifics...
    Hunger is a different story - hunger is usually in our heads... there is times because we are more active that we actually feel hungry but if you had a glass of water it will usually dissipate... if your thoughts let it! Our behaviors are habits... ones we need to fight to make new habits, healthier habits.
    As far as the "eating everything in sight... my advice to you is to move on, don't feel guilty or down on yourself... YOU DID NOT RUIN YOUR WHOLE DAY, it was a moment, and you made the choice to do it so move on, and get back on track your next meal! Don't let one oopsie derail your whole day. Every minute is a new one, and that's the beauty of time! We always have the power to get back on track! You keep up the great work... you've already gone through the hardest part... and that is starting! Best of luck!
    Erin
  • chatogal
    Options
    Dear Keep the Laughter

Thank you so much for such a comprehensive reply. This is where I bow out.

However, the one thing that has interested me during this discussion is the assumption (which I admit I am assuming here) from other responders is that the OP (or indeed anyone else WHO IS NOT DIABETIC) could possibly suffer a hypoglycaemic coma from low blood sugars. Yes, most definetly blood sugars can drop to low levels in the non-diabetic person, but imho not enough to cause true hypoglycaemia (unless they have other underlying conditions). This is/was the point I picked up on and maybe I am focusing too much on it....but now I am REALLY fascinated with the answer. Being a typical internet user, I quickly investigated a bit last night before falling asleep and Dr Google appears to back this hypothesis up. But...I am very aware that Dr Google often has to be taken with a large grain of salt!

Anyway, please answer this last question for me and thank you for being so consistantly polite with your information

Julie
  • blably
    blably Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    your diary isnt open so i cant see what you ate. what i can assume is you probably have it set to 1200kcal oer day and it isnt enough for you. eat.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

This is untrue. I and several others just in this thread alone have and do experience these episodes without being diabetic or pre-diabetic.
  • Keep_The_Laughter
    Options

This is untrue. I and several others just in this thread alone have and do experience these episodes without being diabetic or pre-diabetic.

^^^This^^^. And...Julie, you just answered your own question here. Focusing on the extreme of diabetic coma is way outside of what the OP reported or requested assistance with. That was all conjecture and projection on Steve's part. This thread was about resolving an issue that persisted for a day with fairly simple solution, not a major medical event symptomatic of chronic blood sugar irregularities requiring hospitalization. That simply was not what the OP reported. This thread was also not about how we culturally accept or reject the way obese people think, as if there is singular path of reasoning for all members of any group.
  • amandaragan
    amandaragan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I just started using MFP and did really well yesterday and most of today. However I had a meltdown this afternoon. About 3 o'clock I started getting really shaky. (I do not have diabetes or any know sugar issues). I had logged all my food for the day and wasn't supposed to eat until dinner. I did have enough for a small low fat cheese snack. I ate the cheese and it didn't help quickly enough. Then I started eating everything in sight. I am so mad at myself. I am wondering if anyone has had any experiences like this? I am wondering if I need to do a sugar detox - focus on a lower carb diet for a while? When I have done Weight Watchers, you are allowed as many fruits/veggies as you want so if you get hungry you can "binge" on these and not go over your daily calorie allotment. Since I knew I had to count the calories not matter what, I made some bad choices.....darn Halloween candy! Ugh I am so frustrated. I feel like I have wasted my entire day. I am thankful that I exercised today. Thoughts?

Hi there, veggies are very low calories. I eat steamed veggies with nothing on them all day and I never feel hungry. One day at a time no negative thoughts, negative thoughts manifest. Tomorrow is a new day.
  • shaneriddle
    shaneriddle Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is good advice... :-)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    The shakiness is almost certainly due to an anxiety reaction because their stomach isn't as full as it usually is

No. That is ridiculous.
  • dacspace
    dacspace Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Interesting.

A low-normal glucose is around 50. You don't have real problems unless it's under 30.

I WISH I could get my fasting glucose under 90.

Keep us posted.

BTW, you might want to see an endocrinologist...

Where did you get your figure of 50 - according to the American Diabetes Association, anything below 70 is considered abnormally low (hypoglycemia).

THIS ^^^

Just going to add a bit more info on normal blood sugar levels from Edward S. Horton, M.D., Section Head, Clinical Research at Joslin Diabetes Center; Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School
    http://abcnews.go.com/Health/DiabetesScreening/story?id=3812946

Question:What is the normal range for blood sugar levels, and what blood sugar level constitutes a true emergency?

Answer:Now, in a normal individual we measure blood sugar under different circumstances. What we call fasting blood sugar or blood glucose levels is usually done six to eight hours after the last meal. So it's most commonly done before breakfast in the morning; and the normal range there is 70 to 100 milligrams per deciliter.

Now when you eat a meal, blood sugar generally rises and in a normal individual it usually does not get above a 135 to 140 milligrams per deciliter. So there is a fairly narrow range of blood sugar throughout the entire day.

Now in our diabetic patients we see both low blood sugar levels that we call hypoglycemia, or elevated blood sugars, hyperglycemia. Now, if the blood sugar drops below about 60 or 65 milligrams per deciliter, people will generally get symptoms, which are some shakiness, feeling of hunger, maybe a little racing of the heart and they will usually be trenchant or if they eat something, it goes away right away. But if blood sugar drops below 50 and can get down as low as 40 or 30 or even 20, then there is a progressive loss of mental function and eventually unconsciousness and seizures. And of course that is very dangerous and a medical emergency.

On the other side, if blood sugar gets up above 180 to 200, then it exceeds the capacity of the kidneys to reabsorb the glucose and we begin to spill glucose into the urine. And if it gets way up high, up in the 400s or even 500s, it can be associated with some alteration in mental function. And in this situation, if it persists for a long time, we can actually see mental changes as well. So either too low or very exceedingly high can cause changes in mental function.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    My point, which I have stated several times, is that the obese use the excuse of "low" blood sugar levels in order to eat. The healthy person should not worry about their glucose levels. The shakiness is almost certainly due to an anxiety reaction because their stomach isn't as full as it usually is. And there are other psych issues. They have to get used to an empty stomach. The stomach SHOULD be empty most of the time.

Steve, you never stop, do you? Your above post is bull, to put it bluntly.