Great quotes

Options
2 of my fav quotes I heard in a movie....

1st: "Don’t take life so seriously you’ll never get out alive!"

Replies

• leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites is the one that I have adopted as best describing me. From Shrek: "You have the right to remain slient. What you lack is the ability".
  • sassyrayofsunshine
    sassyrayofsunshine Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    ^^ haha, shrek....donkey - "I need a hug"
  • kliermann
    Options
    hahaha this is a good one i forgot about it
    One of my favorites is the one that I have adopted as best describing me. From Shrek: "You have the right to remain slient. What you lack is the ability".
  • kliermann
    Options
    my number 2 would be from van wilder

"worrying is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do but doesn’t get you anywhere"

...then again it could be number one idk it goes hand in hand with my number 1 sooo yea lol
  • star5785
    star5785 Posts: 140
    Options
    "Bake the bread while the oven is hot" - my dad always told me that ....in a very thick Persian accent, lol
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    From one of my favorite movies: "Well, you know what they say: if you don't have anything nice to say about anybody, come sit by me!"
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    A guy named Frankl said, "What is to give light must endure burning."

I'm an educator, and that statement struck a chord.
  • kliermann
    Options
    "Bake the bread while the oven is hot" - my dad always told me that ....in a very thick Persian accent, lol

haha nice
  • kliermann
    Options
    From one of my favorite movies: "Well, you know what they say: if you don't have anything nice to say about anybody, come sit by me!"

no idea what movie?
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    "Life's a garden...Dig it!" - Joe Dirt
  • kliermann
    Options
    "Life's a garden...Dig it!" - Joe Dirt

haha i thought it was "lifes a garden you dig it and make it work for ya"?
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    “Almost nobody dances sober, unless they happen to be insane.”
    -HP Lovecraft
  • Liss_Bee
    Liss_Bee Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    My mom is a freak, and would say this before dinner every night while I was home "I'm not talking about hate, I'm talking about eight, dinner at eight and god almighty am I hungry" Not my favorite quote, but funny non the less. =P
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options

no idea what movie?

Steel Magnolias
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options

no idea what movie?

Alice Roosvelt. Daughter of Teddy.
  • kliermann
    Options
    hahaha not bad at all though
    My mom is a freak, and would say this before dinner every night while I was home "I'm not talking about hate, I'm talking about eight, dinner at eight and god almighty am I hungry" Not my favorite quote, but funny non the less. =P
  • kliermann
    Options
    “Almost nobody dances sober, unless they happen to be insane.”
    -HP Lovecraft

I have no idea who that is? However it is very true since I have litterally won dance off's blacked out drunk in germany haha I dont even dance!
  • leebesstoad
    Options

no idea what movie?

Alice Roosvelt. Daughter of Teddy.

Alice Roosevelt Longworth, great socialite, daughter of Teddy, wife of Nicholas Longworth, former speaker of the house for whom the Longworth House Office Building in DC is named. She was the one with the quote "If you haven't got something nice to say about someone, come sit beside me".

She was the very definition of the term "feisty broad", back when it wasn't acceptable. And I got to meet her once when I was a teenager and she was in her late 80s. A great American character far too few people know about. I love me some Alice Roosevelt Longworth. Something I remember very clearly, over 40 years later.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    "Beer has food value, but food has no beer value."
  • leebesstoad
    Options
    And for those of you who don't know Alice Roosevelt Longworth, a couple of other great quotes of hers:

On another occasion, asked by a Ku Klux Klansman in full regalia to take his word for something, she refused, saying, "I never trust a man under sheets."

To Senator Joseph McCarthy, who had jokingly remarked at a party, "Here's my blind date. I am going to call you Alice," she responded acidly, "Senator McCarthy, you are not going to call me Alice. The trashman and the policeman on my block call me Alice, but you may not."

As an example of her attitudes on race, in 1965 her African-American chauffeur and one of her best friends, Turner, was driving Longworth to an appointment. During the trip, he pulled out in front of a taxi, and the driver got out and demanded to know of him, "What do you think you're doing, you black *kitten*?" Turner took the insult calmly, but Longworth did not and told the taxi driver, "He's taking me to my destination, you white son of a *****!"

When columnist and cousin Joseph Alsop claimed that there was grass-roots support for Republican presidential candidate Wendell Willkie, the Republican hope to defeat F.D.R. in 1940, Longworth said yes, "the grass roots of 10,000 country clubs."

And about her father, Teddy, she said "He wants to be the bride at every wedding, the corpse at every funeral, and the baby at every christening."