Is eating too little really that bad?

Options
I'm trying to lose the last 15 pounds. I try to only eat when I am hungry and try to eat something healthy (though there are times when I don't). I jog 3 days a week (2.25-2.5 miles) and strength training 2 days a week (maybe get on the elliptical after for 20 minutes), and I have been doing this for 4 weeks now. I didn't expect a loss when I got back into running at first as my body got used to it, but I certainly expected to see something in the last week or so.

Nothing.

So, I started thinking maybe I was eating too little, but this doesn't make sense to me.

I don't log my food on here, but this is what I had Tuesday:

20 oz of water with strength training and elliptical

16 oz homemade smoothie consisting of: 1 banana, 1 clementine, handful of spinach/kale mix, 1 tbsp flax meal, 1 tbsp natural peanut butter, handful of frozen fruit mix

12 oz coffee with 2 tsp sugar in the raw and splash of fat free half and half

1 trader joe's pomegranate 0% greek yogurt and 10 trader joe's pumpkin seeds

1 part skim mozzarella string cheese, apple and natural peanut butter, 20 oz water

about 10 Trader Joe's pumpkin seeds

Skinny cow snickerdoodle ice cream sandwich

Black bean burger with provolone cheese (no bun), carrots with a little ranch and half an avocado, and 8 oz skim milk

20oz water throughout the evening

Yesterday:

20 oz of water with jog

16 oz homemade smoothie consisting of: 1 banana, 1 clementine, handful of spinach/kale mix, 1 tbsp flax meal, 1 tbsp natural peanut butter, handful of frozen fruit mix

12 oz coffee with 2 tsp sugar in the raw and splash of fat free half and half

about 20 Trader Joe's pumpkin seeds

Salad with light balsamic dressing (off of the "under 500" menu) and 20 oz water

Green tea with Stevia

Pulled BBQ chicken (no bread), 5 carrots with a little ranch dressing, 6 baked waffle fries & 8 oz glass of skim milk

another 20 oz of water throughout the evening

I never feel like I'm starving, but am I sabotaging my weight loss?

TIA

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Don't know about sabotaging your weight loss but if you take out all the water and no calorie beverages you eat virtually nothing. Your body needs fuel to run and you need vitamins and minerals to maintain organ function.

I'd suggest you start logging your food so you can actually see how little you're taking in.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you should try logging your food intake for a bit and see how that goes.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    How are you not just continually peeing all the time?
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    Im seeing alot of carbs in there and only a little protein. Have you considered that your retaining fat because there isnt enough protein?
  • cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    Options

This
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    If you have time to type that all out you have the time to log your food and see what you are actually eating (or not eating).
  • Yetta729
    Yetta729 Posts: 68 Member
    Options

I only see 52 oz of water/ coffee plus whatever goes into the smoothie ... that can not be enough
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I would log for a few days to check your sodium. And also weigh your food for a few days, I don't know what a handful of fruit is or a splash of half and half. I know mine would be more than I would expect it to be. And I agree you are low on protein.
  • chrstnamarie
    Options
    Im seeing alot of carbs in there and only a little protein. Have you considered that your retaining fat because there isnt enough protein?

I really didn't know this was possible. I'll focus on adding more protein into my diet.

Thanks!
  • chrstnamarie
    Options
    If you have time to type that all out you have the time to log your food and see what you are actually eating (or not eating).

It's not a matter of time, it's just, frankly, not wanting to. I've never been one to like to count calories, I don't do well doing that, so I just focus on trying to eat right. I was just worried that I wasn't eating enough.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    How do you stop at only 6 waffle fries?
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options

It's not a matter of time, it's just, frankly, not wanting to. I've never been one to like to count calories, I don't do well doing that, so I just focus on trying to eat right. I was just worried that I wasn't eating enough.

You're on a calorie counting website.?
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Eating right is about having a balanced diet. Based on what you listed, I dont see a balanced diet and certainly there are not enough calories being consumed for the amount of calories you are burning.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

I really didn't know this was possible. I'll focus on adding more protein into my diet.

Thanks!

It isn't, really. Protein is good, as it helps you retain lean body mass while in a deficit. So by all means add more. But one doesn't retain fat because they are not eating enough protein. One retains fat because they are taking in more calories than they use.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

So, basically you know that you are eating too little. And you probably don't want to log as you are afraid to find out how little you are actually eating.

And yes, eating too little is bad. You will lose muscle mass as well as fat. Your metabolism will slow. You won't have enough energy. You won't be getting micronutrients and your hair will start to fall out. You'll gain all the weight back as soon as you eat normally.

ETA: 4 weeks might not be long enough for you to see changes. But do make sure you are eating enough.