low carb to jumpstart weight loss again

Options
Has anyone tried the low carb/ Adkins type diet. I dont really plan to diet but just keep a low calorie lifestyle but need to jumpstart my weightloss again. Any positives, negative? How many carbs were effective?

Replies

• donnafreer
    donnafreer Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've done SANE (which is eating lots of nonstarchy veggies instead of carbs) and the weight does drop off. The one thing I learned because I do have a sweet tooth is that if you forgo all the white bread and other carbs/sugar, you do lose the carb/surgar craving in less than a week. That was a real surprise and getting over the craving helps a lot with eating healthier once you're thru it. The point isn't to worry about numbers. Eat as many nonstarchy veggies as you can. Add some protein and there you are.
  • mrsmarit
    mrsmarit Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried the low carb/ Adkins type diet. I dont really plan to diet but just keep a low calorie lifestyle but need to jumpstart my weightloss again. Any positives, negative? How many carbs were effective?

I did Atkins once right before I got married and lost a great deal of weight. Then I had 1 piece of pizza and then it was a carb free for all and I put all of the weight back on.

If you're not going to keep a low carb lifestyle then just try all foods in moderation. You don't really need a jumpstart just some willpower.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Just as an FYI... going low carb won't jump start fat loss. It'll jump start water loss, which will show on the scale, but as soon as you introduce carbs back into your diet, that water weight will come right back.

So in essence, it doesn't accomplish anything, and can actually be detrimental if your motivation falters when that weight comes back.
  • culkin1
    culkin1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    That's interesting you should say that. Since winter weather began I have coincidentally been eating more bread and my sugar cravings have spiked and it's driving me crazy, and of course my weight has been creeping back up. I am going to TRY and take that advice.
  • PrncessBre
    PrncessBre Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I do well keeping my carbs under 100g per day. That way I'm still able to enjoy some carbs at lunch or dinner. As time goes along I find that I don't crave carbs as much so my grams are going down gradually. Just find what works for you :smile:
  • Kasmira0004
    Kasmira0004 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Just as an FYI... going low carb won't jump start fat loss. It'll jump start water loss, which will show on the scale, but as soon as you introduce carbs back into your diet, that water weight will come right back.

So in essence, it doesn't accomplish anything, and can actually be detrimental if your motivation falters when that weight comes back.
  • jaycbrf4
    Options
    I do well keeping my carbs under 100g per day. That way I'm still able to enjoy some carbs at lunch or dinner. As time goes along I find that I don't crave carbs as much so my grams are going down gradually. Just find what works for you :smile:

Exactly, as with any diet plan once you go back to eating the way you used to you will gain all the weight back. I am over 100 net carbs per day and still hovering around my goal weight.

Went out for dinner the other night and ate wings, fried shrimp, french fries, chicken tenders and a couple of Budweisers. I thought I would put on a few pounds but next morning I was still at the same weight.

Anyone who says Atkins doesn't work or failed at it either did it wrong or didn't follow the rules/read the book. There is a reason the Atkins way has been around for so long. It works when the rules are followed.

Atkins is not a "diet" it is a lifestyle of eating for weight loss/maintenance. If you do it right it works, period.
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    You really should need to jumpstart your weight loss. If you haven't dieted in awhile the first couple of weeks of a standard healthy diet should work.

Low carb should only be necessary if you have metabolic issues like insulin resistance, PCOS or diabetes.

WHICHEVER diet you choose it must be a lifestyle change. You will gain right back on any diet if you mess up more than you succeed! Or go back to eating the way that you were.
    Good luck :)
  • jaycbrf4
    Options
    You really should need to jumpstart your weight loss. If you haven't dieted in awhile the first couple of weeks of a standard healthy diet should work.

Low carb should only be necessary if you have metabolic issues like insulin resistance, PCOS or diabetes.

WHICHEVER diet you choose it must be a lifestyle change. You will gain right back on any diet if you mess up more than you succeed! Or go back to eating the way that you were.
    Good luck :)

What an uneducated thing to say. If you are going to post a reply to someone's question please make sure your response is backed up by fact and no opinion.

low carb diets have been around forever and there are many success stories.

If you have low carb diet questions go to Atkins.com and check out the free forums there-