Help! I have mono, no energy, and I'm gaining weight.

Options
I've had mono for about 2 months now and who knows how long it's going to last. I thought that I was getting better after the sore throat and swollen glands went away. Then I seemed to enter a second phase that has sapped all of my energy. I actually called the doctor one day because I was concerned because my legs just didn't want to work some days. Turns out I was just extremely tired because I'd decided to start exercising again. So, I'm off of exercise for awhile. Some days walking around the grocery store wears me out and it frustrates me greatly because back in September I ran a 10K!

So, you might say, that's ok, you can still monitor calories even if you can't exercise. Well, it just so happens that I'm a student teacher and I have to be on the go all day long whether I want to or not. I've found that eating frequently throughout the day is the only thing that keeps me functioning. This means that I end up eating way more calories than even my maintenance and then I just get frustrated and eat everything in site.

I am looking for ways to get through this without gaining anymore weight at least and losing more would even be better. I know that my ticker says that I've lost 81, but I'm sure I've gained since then, I'm just too aggravated to step on the scale again. I don't want to give up and lose all the progress that I've made.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    My advice would to pre-plan your day every morning (or the evening before if that gives you more time). I've found that when I pre-log my day I have waaaaaaaaaay less variation and I stay within my calorie goal. Pre-logging gives me room to wiggle around with too when I add in my snacks... generally I put in breakfast, lunch & dinner first and then with my remaining calories I add in the snacks and/or treats.

Since you've found that snacking throughout the day is keeping you going throughout the day, I would go off that. Plan out all the snacks you want to eat/bring, log them in, fit them into your calorie goal. This way you know exactly where you're going to be for the day, you're still fed, and you won't gain weight from extra stuff you get while out.

Choose foods (snacks) with high protein/fiber too, those will help you feel fuller longer. Nuts, Cheese, Greek Yogurt, etc. Try to stay away from buying too much food while you're on the go. Don't use the vending machines, etc. Bring your food. Not saying you CAN'T have that stuff, but you should get in control of what you're eating first before adding in the stuff that's easy to go over on calories with.

Hope you feel better, good luck.
  • Lovelyloralee
    Lovelyloralee Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of in the same boat as you my friend - just with anemia instead of mono. I have no energy at all and I work 60+ hours a week so exercise always is on the back burner. Unfortunately as a result my weightloss is microscopically slow. YOu have been such an inspiration to me throughout my journey - I hope I can help lift you up now. Together, slowly but surely we will do this! Take Care my dear - Prayers and hugs going your way!
  • stellalunag
    stellalunag Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    How about not worry about your weight or your workout right now and just get better. Just listen to your body and eat what you need and try to rest. Your body needs energy in order to heal itself. Don't starve it right now or push it too hard. You can get back to your routine once you are back on your feet. If that means you've put some weight back on, so be it. Healing first!
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Gaining weight? Eat fewer calories. Next question?
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    How about you get better first? Yes, you'll gain some weight, but you can lose that once you are healthy. By all accounts eat healthy food, carbs give you energy, check out different fruits that can give you an immediate boost when your reserves get too low, but restricting your calories now is perhaps not the best idea. Some of those calories will go towards dealing with the disease and you don't want to prolong that :-)
  • RunningOnPurple
    RunningOnPurple Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thanks to those of you with helpful advice. I weighed myself this morning. I am going to do my best to only eat when I am hungry. Forgiving myself for the weight I have gained is the hardest part. One step, one day at a time I guess.
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I had mono as a child. Yes, watch was you are eating, but your body is sicker than you feel. Get through that first. Life has bumps. This one is not your fault. Just take care of yourself.

Remember, your organs are not functioning properly, especially you spleen. Not something you want to mess with.
  • glreim21
    glreim21 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Do not try to restrict your calories when your body is trying to fight to get healthy again. Focus on getting better. Set your calorie goal to maintenance until you are healthy.