Ate a little bit too much calories today

Options
So well, I drank almost half a liter of red wine and with it all kinds of food, just woke up now and the whole sum makes for 1025 calories over my daily limit (500 calorie deficit) I'm thinking about compensating by eating 1025 less calories tomorrow, would that be correct or should I divide them over the next 7 days or something? I don't really know what to do, any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I'd advise two things:

1.) Divide it up over the next week; and,
    2.) Figure out why you sabatoged yourself like that, make a decision to not do this again, and put a plan in place to ensure you don't. Then stick to the plan.

The last thing you need is to keep bingeing and then convincing yourself each time you can "just make up for it later". This is yo-yo dieting mentality which is dangerous and will ultimately sabatoge your long-term success. There's nothing wrong with going over a little bit, we all do it. But what's concerning is the bingeing. That behavior is the "old" thinking which got you into this pickle in the first place. Don't indulge that behavior. It's time for a new way of life - you can do it! :)
  • Brandolin11
    Options
    P.S. - I should mention that a "controlled splurge" can be part of the plan! Some people work in a "splurge day" and I'm sure you could start a post to find out how to do that safely. If you can do a planned splurge once a week and stay on track the rest of the time, that just might be the trick for you!

What I was talking about is erradicating the mindless binges - that's not good. Mindless-ness is the enemy. It will sabatoge you every time.
  • amiramakh
    Options
    Oh im in thé same pickle.between yesterday and today I've eaten 1000 more than my limit for maintenance...
    I'm thinking about planning to set my goals to loose one pound this coming month, so that it will come off. It wasn't tht I ate lot, actually just cheee cake and icecream for a late dessert with friends. I didn't feel overly full or anything after eating but I feel horrid now after logging it in.

Will it all how up as fat now.?
  • Necron33
    Options
    Brandolin, Yeah, I know, so I guess I'll just divide them over the week then.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    So well, I drank almost half a liter of red wine and with it all kinds of food, just woke up now and the whole sum makes for 1025 calories over my daily limit (500 calorie deficit) I'm thinking about compensating by eating 1025 less calories tomorrow, would that be correct or should I divide them over the next 7 days or something? I don't really know what to do, any help would be appreciated.

500 Calorie deficit for 1 week = 3500 Calorie weekly deficit ~~ 1 lb of fat.

500 Calorie deficit for 6 days, plus a 525 Calorie surplus for 1 day = 2475 Calorie weekly deficit ~~ 0.71 lb of fat.

Summary: even splurging for this one day, you'll be on track to lose more than 1/2 lb of fat this week. I wouldn't worry too much about it. You just don't want to do this more than once every week or two.
  • Necron33
    Options
    500 Calorie deficit for 1 week = 3500 Calorie weekly deficit ~~ 1 lb of fat.

500 Calorie deficit for 6 days, plus a 525 Calorie surplus for 1 day = 2475 Calorie weekly deficit ~~ 0.71 lb of fat.

Summary: even splurging for this one day, you'll be on track to lose more than 1/2 lb of fat this week. I wouldn't worry too much about it. You just don't want to do this more than once every week or two.
    Actually this is the first time numbers were red in 65 days, so I guess it's far from being a weekly or even monthly habit. :-)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Everybody eats over their calorie limit sometimes. Don't lower your calories thinking you will gain if you don't. Just eat within your calorie allowance and move on. You might retain water for a day or two, but you won't gain weight from one off day.
  • Brandolin11
    Options
    Everybody eats over their calorie limit sometimes. Don't lower your calories thinking you will gain if you don't. Just eat within your calorie allowance and move on. You might retain water for a day or two, but you won't gain weight from one off day.

That's a really good point. Especially since he said he hasn't done this for 65 days!
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    It depends on your willpower. I'd spread it out over a few days.