Need Some Tips from the Ladies

Options
Ladies!

Every month, about a week before my period, I get intense cravings for chocolate and anything salty. Since I know I'm not alone here, what have you done to curve your munchies? I know nothing can really replace chocolate. But I just can't stop the munching during this time and I never feel satiated.

I normally eat about 2000-2200 calories during this time, which in essence, isn't awful. But done for 5 days can really reverse what I worked so hard to accomplish in the past month. However I did read an article a while back that summed up pretty much that it's ok to eat this stuff during our "special days" ;-) It stated that our bodies need the extra calories because our body is burning more energy during this time. Not sure if that holds true, but it seems logical. Or at least it seems logical because I so want it to be. Have any of you tested this theory?

Looking forward to your tips on pms cravings, munchies, and extra caloric intake/out-take.

Replies

• Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Great topic; am curious to hear other's responses.

I portion out a small amount of chocolate for most days, and during PMS, I budget my calories to allow for more (basically I exercise more to eat more).

Hot tea with a sugarless sweetner works wonders for killing cravings, at least for me.

Last go 'round with PMS, I wanted chocolate so badly that I ate a "snack sized" candy bar with breakfast, put chocolate chips in my oatmeal, and continued through the day rationing out tiny bits of chocolate into my normal healthy foods. I did not add heaps of calories, but still got my sweet tooth satisfied, pretty much continuously.

For salty foods, I just eat what I like during that time of the month, knowing that the salt "water weight gain" will go away when the week is over. I eat a lot of popcorn, sometimes a small portion (the individual serving sizes) of chips, or even sushi with soy sauce.

Come to think of it, the secret for me is portion size, enjoying what I like, being sure to include all of my nutritious foods as well as plenty of gentle exercise!
  • SamanthaH10
    SamanthaH10 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I eat chocolate and salty munchies, but make sure I have room for them in my plan. I stay in control by constantly checking my diary, planning ALL meals (including snacks) in advance so I know what I do or don't have left to play with, and eating small enough portions to satisfy cravings without jeopardizing my entire week's worth of workouts. I hate having to work harder because I ate like crap, so I avoid eating like crap.
  • 10manda86
    10manda86 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    My munchies are strangely on a 6 weakish cycle... I try to exercise more to make up for the munchies, or calculate eating say only ice-cream for dinner. I try to make it have as little impact as possible but I don't beat myself up over it either
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Never heard of our body burning more energy during our period. I think that's something made up by women who want to eat more chocolate once a month. :laugh:

In all honesty, I know it seems like the last thing you want to do during your period, but exercise is a fantastic way to curb cravings - and it can help considerably if you get period pain. It releases endorphins not dissimilar to the ones released when you eat chocolate, apparently.

The only other possible outcome to that is that you simply 'earn' more calories to have your sweet or salty fix, so either way, exercise is the key.
  • lillivewire87
    lillivewire87 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    So as far as chocolate goes...two things. I either buy some dark chocolate and have just a tiny piece...OR...I buy the chocolate Metromint water. It is PERFECT for curbing my chocolate cravings and because it is water...no calories!

I also make sure I eat like 100-200 more calories (I try to make sure those calories are from whole nutrient rich foods) than I am supposed to, but I get anemic when I am on mine if I don't do that. Might be TMI but I have a very heavy flow that isn't helped by being on BC and lose a LOT of vitamins and minerals. So just make sure you are giving your body what it needs that week to be satisfied. You aren't necessarily burning more energy, but you are losing a lot of nutrients from your body that need to be replaced. Generally speaking, your regular old multi-vit is not going to cut it during that week.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I take a multi vitamin and iron on those days and it really curbs the cravings. It helps me stay in control and within my calorie limit.
  • collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Here's my theory, uterus it's a muscle, what happens when u use a muscle that u haven't in a while? It gets sore and you have to repair it, so that means u hold water (in the muscle) that explains bloating and cramps. Then for the cravings, you do burn more during that time cause that muscle is constantly working. So your not really craviing junk, your craving sugar and sodium. Back in the day, I would go get Chinese food atleast once a week and 2 times a week during that time and I didn't know what u know now about the salt.

All in all, I say grab some Hershey special dark chocolate bars and some lays light potatoe chips for that time! Every now and then won't hurt u! Lol.. I'm walking proof..
  • kargell
    Options
    A one day "cheat day" doesn't hurt either. Maybe try to take care of those cravings in controled portions all in one day and get it over with. When you get back to your usual healthy eating plan, that extra from your 'cheat day' will come right back off. It helps to fool your metabolism into working harder.
  • Wrxsti23
    Options
    I have a chocolate addiction as well but find that I am more satisfied if I have it in liquid form.

I will get a tall skinny mocha from Starbucks that tastes just like chocolate It's only 110 calories and it will last me a lot longer than a piece of chocolate.

or a chocolate protein shake

I like Wonderslim (you have to buy online) it's only 100 calories but many flavors and they are all awesome

you can always have sugar free chocolate pudding or something as well.
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I allow myself to indulge my once monthly cravings. Mine usually only last a day or two tops so I don't feel bad about it. I buy the darkest chocolate I can (usually 70%+) which will minimize how much I'll eat. Usually a square or two will satisfy me. And for me the big thing is salt. I crave salt and it’s all I can think about until I get it. So I'll eat some sushi covered in soy sauce usually. Not too bad calorie wise especially if you stick to the raw rolls that aren't covered in mayo, etc. I could pretty much drink soy sauce when it’s my TOM if it wasn’t so frowned upon….
  • SueEllen95
    SueEllen95 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My secret, dark chocolate. I buy the 85% and honestly two squares (115 calories) is enough to satisfy my cravings. Try it and see what you think.
  • daniran
    daniran Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Eat only dark chocolate for cravings and take a supplement of Glutamine, an amino acid. It helps to curb your desire/craving for sweets.
  • karlospiklington
    karlospiklington Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Yoghurt covered fruit pieces. Usually about half the calories of a chocolate bar but with enough sugar to satisfy any cravings. If they ever stop making them, my life will end.
  • AshleyMeggg
    AshleyMeggg Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I like healthier alternatives. Like lara bars, clif bars, and those kind bars. They might not be great for you, but you get a little chocolate and something like that usually fills me up for awhile so I feel like they aren't empty calories.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I manage to eat chocolate and salty things every day and stay within my 1520 kcal + exercise calories, and so can you. I don't fake it. Whatever the thing is that I want, I decide how much I can afford to eat, I eat it, and then I stop eating it.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    Apple with peanut butter comes to mind. Eat chocolate or ice cream. Drink water and wait if it goes away. Eat something minty, salty or sweet.
  • Micbou1
    Micbou1 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm not a lady but love chocolate :) you should try Fiber one chewy bars - oat and chocolate (140calories) delicious!
  • TheLadyBane
    TheLadyBane Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I really want chocolate. I don't really ever crave salty stuff. I found Ghirardelli dark chocolate chips work great for me. I used to allot myself a serving of them and they definitely would satisfy my cravings. I've found now just sucking on a few of them tames my sweet tooth, which is maybe 1/4 of a serving.