Share your favorite Butternut Squash recipe!

Options
Jennplus2
Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
Trying to broaden my horizons…
I bought a great butternut squash and have cut it into cubes (hard work BTW) but now I am trying to find a tasty way to serve it. I have two young kids and not a whole lot of cooking experience, plus my son can’t have dairy (I can replace milk with soy or almond milk but cheese is more of a challenge). The kiddos are not that into soup, and I don’t have hours to spend in the kitchen, but I would love some suggestions on what to do and how to do it. Hoping for a squash-errific night, please help.

Share your favorite Butternut Squash recipe, thank you.

Replies

• feisma
    feisma Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I've been looking for butternut squash recipes too since my garden is full of them right now :-) Try googling "butternut squash recipe"...there are some good suggestions (I havent' tried them yet myself or I would post the results)
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Toss with some olive oil, salt, pepper and roast until tender.
    Tada!
  • cynthiamc
    cynthiamc Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Just put them in the oven and cook them and they taste just like french fries. Add a little salt and pepper and your done!
  • NickiChase
    NickiChase Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My kids will eat anything in a muffin! So here's our favorite recipe which works with ALL kinds of squash!

1/2 pound peeled, seeded and cubed butternut squash- that's about a cup of cooked, pureed squash
    3/4 cups all-purpose flour
    3/4 cups whole wheat flour (I like the whole wheat pastry flour)
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 cup white sugar
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
    3/4 cup milk (not sure if this will work for Dairy free-ers)
    2 egg whites
    1 tablespoon butter, melted

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease a 12 cup muffin pan.
    In a medium saucepan with enough water to cover, boil squash 20 minutes, or until tender. Remove from heat, drain, and puree in a food processor. You can also steam, bake or microwave until soft and mash...
    In a large bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, white sugar, salt and pumpkin pie spice.
    In a medium bowl, thoroughly mix together milk, egg and butter. Stir in squash. Fold the squash mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened.
    Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pan, filling cups about 1/2 full. Bake 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Remove from muffin pan and cool on a wire rack.

If you try this, please let me know what you think!
  • FoamyRiver
    FoamyRiver Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I like to chop butternut squash and apples, mix with some cinnamon, brown sugar, and a little apple juice. Place in a casserole dish and bake at 350 for about an hour or until tender. Sometimes I make it in the microwave if I'm in a hurry.

I also like to just cut the squash in half, top with spray butter (which might be a problem for you), sprinkle with brown sugar and bake. When it's soft and tender I scoop it out and serve it--it sort of looks like mashed sweet potatoes.
  • sissy56
    sissy56 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Sorry I don't have a recipe, but if you like butternut, you might try delicata, too, if you haven't yet.
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I cut it into cubes as well and use a little spray butter and pumpkin pie spice on the cubes. Then i just microwave on 'potato' setting in a big bowl. it gets tender and sweet this way, much like sweet potatoes. Its so easy, I do this in my DORM ROOM. its great to have fresh veggies as a snack in college. :) i've also tried roasting the cubes in the oven, but i found that the squash gets more dried out this way. Nuking it makes the squash much more tender and moist.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I cut it into cubes as well and use a little spray butter and pumpkin pie spice on the cubes. Then i just microwave on 'potato' setting in a big bowl. it gets tender and sweet this way, much like sweet potatoes. Its so easy, I do this in my DORM ROOM. its great to have fresh veggies as a snack in college. :) i've also tried roasting the cubes in the oven, but i found that the squash gets more dried out this way. Nuking it makes the squash much more tender and moist.

I do almost the same... nuke the cubes in a bowl with a little bit of water to keep moist. Then sprinkle with cinnamon, sometimes add butter spray & a sprinkle of splenda to sweeten. My son (he's 2) loves it! He will even eat the cubes plain. And yes, microwaving makes them moist & tender!
  • patti1007
    patti1007 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    we bake it and smash it up like mashed potatoes.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    MMMM I use it in multiple dishes. :smile:
    I like to cube it and roast with sweet potatoes.
    Giada (food network) has a great butternut squash lasagna. I alter the recipe to make it healthier (turkey not pork, no cream ect.).
    Butternut squash soup is one of my favs! Easy to make and if you add chipotle chilies it can have quite a kick!
    I also will cut it in half, roast it ,then mash it and add too or use as a pasta sauce.
    Butternut squash ravioli are another one of my FAVS! :smile:
    It's SO versitle as a veggy. I love it!:heart:
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas, keep em coming please!
  • aunienue
    aunienue Posts: 416
    Options
    lurk
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I roasted it in the oven last night because I was making meatloaf and already had the oven on. :bigsmile: I cut it in half, scooped out the seeds, sprayed the baking dish w/ a light spray of olive oil, and put the butternut squash face down. I cooked for about 45 min at 350*. Then I cut scooped the flesh out of the skin and put it in the microwave for about 5 minutes and mashed it like potatoes/ sweet potatoes. I ate mine w/ just cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice, but my kids had a little honey and cinnamon on theirs. :bigsmile: My 11yo loved it so much she took some in her lunchbox today.
  • suzie1983
    Options
    i have an odd question...anyone know how these recipes will taste without the cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice ... oh the joys of being allergic to cinnamon nutmeg and cloves this time of year
  • mel_istheshit
    Options
    Hungry Girl's butternut squash fries are SO GOOD!! We had the bacon ranch ones over the weekend and will definitely be trying every kind. I was surprised at how crispy they got... I always have troubles getting my sweet potato fries crispy so I may have to try some of these techniques for those. I bet kids will love them, because who can say no to a french frie!

http://www.hungry-girl.com/girls/biteoutdetails.php?isid=2010
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    These from a site i love

Spiced Butternut Squash Muffins

So, I love butternut squash. We had some the other day so I made some soup and then roasted some with a little butter and fresh thyme. Both delicious, of course! But then, what to do with the rest? Why not try something new. You may have noticed I've been into muffins recently... well nothing has changed! Therefore we tried these, and the result... well I ate 2 straight off the bat!

Spiced Butternut Squash Muffins
    Serves: 12

250g butternut squash, peeled deseeded and cubed
    185g flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    100g sugar
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp ginger
    1/2 tsp cardamom, freshly crushed
    1/4 tsp paprika
    185ml milk
    1 egg
    15g margarine

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees, while its warming up, pop the squash in on some baking paper and allow it to bake for 30 minutes.
    In a large bowl mix together the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and spices.
    In a smaller bowl, whisk together the egg and milk.
    Put the margarine into a magic bullet/good processor and add the squash once it's done baking. Puree the butter and buttnerut squash.
    Add the puree to the egg and milk and whisk well.
    Carefully fold the wet ingredients into the dry until just integrated. Careful not to over stir.
    Divide the mixture into 12 muffin cases.
    Bake for 18-20 minutes in the middle of the oven.

122 calories per serving, 1.8g F, 0.5g SF, 24.1g C, 9.6g S, 1.0 Fb, 2.8g P

http://heavling.blogspot.com/

http://heavling.blogspot.com/2010/04/butternut-squash-and-lentil-casserole.html

http://heavling.blogspot.com/2010/05/butternut-squash-soup.html

http://heavling.blogspot.com/2010/05/butternut-squash-and-coconut-curry.html
  • mizzjessie
    Options
    Check out Whole Foods. They have a lot of good recipes on there. I am going to try some of them next week.