Question about gym prices

Options
Hi all! I'm new when it comes to the whole gym thing, so I'm hoping I can get some opinions.
I found a gym 5 minutes away from my house. I used a free pass, took some classes, and love it! Thing is it costs 59.99 a month, with a 9.99 first time membership fee, and a 9.99 badge fee. I have looked into a few other gyms nearby, with a cheaper month-to-month price, but they have a lot less classes, with a majority of classes I wouldn't be able to make it to. I want a gym basically for classes. If I join this gym, there are classes I could make it to daily, but I would probably go 4-5 times a week. Also, it is 10$ cheaper a month if I sign a year contract but I know once it gets warmer out I would rarely use the gym because I bike a lot. So I am only interested in a month-to -month contract.
Please help. Is this a ridiculous price. or is it normal?

Replies

• anaisbutterfly7
    anaisbutterfly7 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I think the price is pretty standard, but if you are going to use the classes, then to me the price is worth it.

Personally, I have a membership to 24 hour fitness. It's 35 a month with access to every club and every class (with some exceptions). Hopefully that can you help you compare :)

PS: This is in Colorado.
  • AZ_Gato
    AZ_Gato Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I'm new when it comes to the whole gym thing, so I'm hoping I can get some opinions.
    I found a gym 5 minutes away from my house. I used a free pass, took some classes, and love it! Thing is it costs 59.99 a month, with a 9.99 first time membership fee, and a 9.99 badge fee. I have looked into a few other gyms nearby, with a cheaper month-to-month price, but they have a lot less classes, with a majority of classes I wouldn't be able to make it to. I want a gym basically for classes. If I join this gym, there are classes I could make it to daily, but I would probably go 4-5 times a week. Also, it is 10$ cheaper a month if I sign a year contract but I know once it gets warmer out I would rarely use the gym because I bike a lot. So I am only interested in a month-to -month contract.
    Please help. Is this a ridiculous price. or is it normal?

If you're not sure, ask for a 30 day pass. Most places have them. Prices vary according to how much competition there is. I live in a small Arizona town and monthly charges hover at $80.
  • MayaLove1
    MayaLove1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I think the price is pretty standard, but if you are going to use the classes, then to me the price is worth it.

Personally, I have a membership to 24 hour fitness. It's 35 a month with access to every club and every class (with some exceptions). Hopefully that can you help you compare :)

PS: This is in Colorado.

Thanks for you opinion :)
    I have looked into my local 24 hour, for the low membership price , they only have 2 cycling classes a week and they are both at 5 am. I want to take cycling but 5 am is waaayyy too early for me. so thats sorta a deal breaker.
  • yarmiah
    yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    The cost of a membership will vary depending on what region you live in, and different gyms charge different rates.
    I know that Planet Fitness is supposed to be a cheaper rate, but hear that they don't offer classes or personal trainers.

The decision really depends on you getting your money's worth out of your gym membership. Visit and try out different gyms and compare not only prices, but what they offer and what is included in a membership. You may find one that is cheaper that you like, but if you base it soley on the price, you may lose money of you are not motivated to go and workout a few times a week.

I live in MD and my gym monthly gym membership is $39.98 a month. Included are a large assortment of group classes, machines and weights, as well as small group training classes and personal trainers for additional fees. I LOVE my gym and go EVERYDAY over my lunch hour, so I'm definately getting my money's worth.

In addition, (as I have shared with my husband who is not into fitness as I am), I consider my gym membership at type of health insurance and is not to be considered optional spending cash in our budget. I figure I'm spending about the same amount of money preventing health issues as he does in high blood pressure and other medications. Any personal training sessions I pay for, do come out of my "spending cash" as he chooses to spend his spending cash on video games.

Good Luck and I hope you find a gym that keeps you motivated and healthy!
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    Seems high to me.
  • kellenas
    kellenas Posts: 154
    Options
    My fiance and I pay $50 per month for both of us. There was a $100 registration fee in the beginning. I'm in Texas, though and the gym was offering a special. Our membership includes swimming pool, hot tub, sauna, all machines and weight rooms for 18 months.
  • deboraht007
    deboraht007 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My gym is about that price, which is much higher than some of the other gyms in town. But I love it so much that I actually look forward to going, whereas when I belonged to GoodLife I used to dread going. It's worth the money for me.
  • May_Rose
    May_Rose Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    My gym is $20/month with an 18 month membership or $25/mo for 12 months. It's one of those 24/7 key access gyms. The equipment is FANTASTIC and I mean better than 24hr ($30/mo) or Gold's ($35/mo), both of which I've been members of. I don't like classes, so I didn't miss that option. The price seems a bit high to me, but worth it if it's only going to be during the colder months.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Geez, I only pay 19.99 per month at Gold's Gym Express. Has new, top of the line equipment, free unlimited guest, and free tanning (if that's your thing). If you don't want guests or tanning, it's only 9.99 per month. Both are no contact. I think there was a 40 dollar charge up front as well.
  • shelbelw
    shelbelw Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I don't belong to a gym, but I do belong to a martial arts studio. I pay $125 per month for up to five days of kickboxing a week, plus sparring on Saturdays. Although I still feel that is an incredibly high fee, I've lost weight, lowered my blood pressure, and regained significant fitness. If I go to class four times a week, it averages to between $7 and $8 per class. I know people who belong to the YMCA/YWCA who pay their monthly fee AND $10 per class. It depends on what your goals are and how much time you are willing to spend in your gym. For me, it's worth it.
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I have a gym near me that is good and I go to. It is $10-20 a month, depending on the "perks" you want. I'm worried that when I move I will have to pay through the nose for the gym.
  • JukeboxJess
    JukeboxJess Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I currently pay $39/month, but I am in a small town in IL. The gym itself is relatively small, but it's women-only, and includes classes. But I also had to sign a 1-yr contract. But I also know that if I don't pay, I likely won't work out like at all, you know?! When I see that monthly fee come out, it reminds me that I need to get to the gym! I also tried a week-long trial membership first; I'd recommend that.
    But my other suggestion is, if you're in a college town (as I am), try seeing if the college has a gym that you can get into as a community member. I used to go to the Rec Center at the university, and it was a little cheaper - $32/month - and had free classes, and tons of amenities (racquetball, basketball, weight rooms, etc).
  • MayaLove1
    MayaLove1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options

In addition, (as I have shared with my husband who is not into fitness as I am), I consider my gym membership at type of health insurance and is not to be considered optional spending cash in our budget. I figure I'm spending about the same amount of money preventing health issues as he does in high blood pressure and other medications. Any personal training sessions I pay for, do come out of my "spending cash" as he chooses to spend his spending cash on video games.

So true! I'm having a hard time justifying it, because my husband and I are about to buy a house. but you are totally right!
  • gercker5
    gercker5 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    We pay $100/month for a family membership to the YMCA. I think it's high and know there are several other places nearby that are cheaper, but the equipment is great, atmosphere is family friendly, and the kids love open swim times.

On top of the Y fee, I also pay $5/week to go to Zumba at a friends studio because I love her classes.
  • serafin366
    serafin366 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Whenever I go through this debate with myself, these are the questions I ask:

1. Will I use whatever member ship I am buying?
    2. How will I use the membership?
    3. Is this gym a good fit for one and two?
    4. If so, is my health/body worth X amount a month.

With that said, I always recommend shopping around. If you are focused solely on classes you will find many dance studios and martial arts studios also offer workout classes, sometimes for less money and more flexible times.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    so gym A is the closest to your house and has classes that you would take 5 days per week. gym B is cheaper, but his further away and doesn't have any classes that you would enjoy. and you mostly plan on going to the gym for the classes.

wait, what was the question?
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    so gym A is the closest to your house and has classes that you would take 5 days per week. gym B is cheaper, but his further away and doesn't have any classes that you would enjoy. and you mostly plan on going to the gym for the classes.

wait, what was the question?

What he said.

Seriously. If Gym A is closest and has classes that you'll actually take and that will keep you going more often than not then do gym A. Also, just because they say they don't have a month-to-month option doesn't mean they actually don't. My husband used to go to a gym that he was told was a 'pay year in advance' but he was able to do a month-to-month option and not be locked into a contract. Also he was able to suspend his subscription during months when he was going to be away on vacation and start it up when he got back.

If I had a gym that was 5 minutes away from me and had things that would entice me to go I'd suck it up, pay the fee and go.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I pay more for my standard run of the mill 24/7 no classes gym but then again I live in Australia and everything is more expensive here.

Basically I would pay more money for something that I was actually going to use frequently. It seems stupid to go for the cheaper option that you won't use anywhere near as much. Having a gym that is convienient just removes one more barrier or excuse to getting there. Go for it!!!
  • samrockrocks
    samrockrocks Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I just joined a "health fitness center" in Illinois (about an hour south of Chicago) that is $61/month plus a $150(!!!) one-time registration fee. It is all about the amenities, though. This place has all the standard stuff plus I get a health assessment and "plan" based on my goals, group fitness classes, a nutritionist on hand, personal trainers if I want them, massages, a pool and sauna, and probably even more stuff that I'm forgetting. I'm one of those people that has to be told what to do or I'll just get on an elliptical and waste my time. The past 4 months I was paying $109 a month for a personal trainer twice a week. This new gym is cheaper for me... especially since I want to work out 4 days a week now.

SOOOO... Your price sounds awesome! I say go for it. You say you'll take the classes, so do it! Do the month-to-month also. If you aren't sure you'll use the gym in a few months, then don't sign up for it. My place has a cancellation fee for breaking a contract that is more than if I pay month-to-month, so maybe ask about that?
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Gyms and the people who go have personalities. If you were comfortable and liked the gym then the price isn't unreasonable. To me a gym becomes where I socialize a lot. If you go to classes, you will meet people.

Since it is the end of the year, you might ask about the new year. A lot of gyms have specials and incentives in January. If you join now and they have a "special offer" in January, could you get that?