Question for 1/2 marathoners or experienced runners

Options
Hi all!

I am wondering if it's possible to train for a half marathon (scheduled for Feb) without running more than the following:

Treadmill twice a week for 40 minutes and a long run on Sundays.

Now, I do weights 5 times per week - my sessions are 2 different body parts per day and takes from 45-65 minutes. I also do Elliptical 3 times per week - 40 minutes HIIT and Zumba for an hour on Saturdays (which I love!)

Just wondering if this training supports long runs. I am not aiming for time, I just want to run long distances for now because I love the outdoors. I've done 6 half marathons before. Last one was over a year ago. I've been training the abocve since June and have been able to run 10K fairly comfortably.

Let me know your feedback.
Thanks!

Replies

• isadoraworkman
    isadoraworkman Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I think you'll be fine. your fitness is good. You can run 10k comfortably, so I think it will be ok. You've run the distance before, so you know what to expect. I would try taking some of my treadmill runs outdoors...Have fun
    A.
  • Sharonbed4d
    Options
    It looks like you are running 3 times per week, there are several training programs that follow that with cross training on the other days which you already do. I've done 2 fulls and 7 1/2s and I've trained hard for some and not so hard for others. I finished all of them but some with better times. Getting your long runs in is very important and it sounds like you are well on your way. Runnersworld.com has a free Smartcoach marathon training plan that lets you pick which intensity you want to train at and gives you a program based on several factors. It's free so you might want to check it out. Good luck in Feb!
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I think you'll be fine. your fitness is good. You can run 10k comfortably, so I think it will be ok. You've run the distance before, so you know what to expect. I would try taking some of my treadmill runs outdoors...Have fun
    A.

That's an idea I've been throwing around... But what I've been doing is the run in the AM at the gym on the tradmill, then another one at night outside with my running buddy! EEK! It's been getting to me and running me down. So I'm trying not to exercise twice in a day, elliminating the night run... BUT, my and her schedule may change and I might be able to work in the runs in the evening in the new year instead of treadmilling it.
  • sabes2631
    sabes2631 Posts: 403
    Options
    google hal higdon and pull up his 1/2 marathon schedule -
    if anything do the long runs
    you dont want to cut yourself short on endurance.
    the long runs will help you to set a comfortable pace and give you insight into how your body reacts at certain places, when you need nourishment, water intake, and how to just settle in and set your pace.

I have done a full and 3 halves - i have learned about settling in and what happens at mile 9 or mile 17- when you have to dig a little deeeper - plus you will know that you can do it and wont doubt yourself when you feel tired:)
    Good luck!!!!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    You can totally train for a half marathon running 3 days a week, that's what I do. I cross train a lot, which really helps prevent injuries. Here's a link to the FIRST program that explains it.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244-258-9369-0,00.html

Good luck!
  • missyhse
    missyhse Posts: 189
    Options
    I run 3-4 times per week as well, I just change up my intensity and make sure to get one long run in every week. There are some great beginner plans out there too, check out runnersworld.com too. I'd suggest maybe switching out one or two of your weight training days for cardio cross training though, so you'd still have 3 days of weights but build a little more endurance.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Several programs out there have 3 day a week runs. You are active otherwise, so as long you dont skip/cheat the long runs you will be fine.
  • tbernard
    tbernard Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I finished 5 Half marathons and 1 full Marathon. I always did some cross training but for the Marathon and the last few half marathons I ran only two days a week. I was doing heavy squats and found that I just couldn't do much more and still have my quads recovered by Sunday for the Longer runs....So my runs were usually Tuesday or Wednesday, and Sunday. I personally tended to build up my making use of the treadmill until I could pretty easily run 10k which wasn't tough for me. Then I would convert to an outdoor runner. By this time I was in better shape before putting my feet through the pounding of concrete.

From that point, distance was as simply as adding a mile or a few kilometers every Sunday. I tried running both on my own and in groups. The marathon I trained by myself. The half marathons I joined training groups. Groups can be terrific. Only problem I ever had was if I found myself befriended by an awkward runner, my mind would want to change my stride to mimic theirs if they chose to run alongside me and it would throw off my concentration.

Another terrific way to train is by running inside of a pool. A lady who placed third in my marathon had injured herself with a case of plantar (I got plantar myself later on....its awful..) In order for her to be able to train for this run she trained entirely within a pool. She said it made her stronger.
  • donnam40
    donnam40 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Hi There,

I think you will be fine. I have done numerous half marathons (6 this year alone I think) and 3 fulls.

I ran my first half off a longest run of 10k's - I don't recommend that!

Three runs with one longer run is enough, particularly if you are not aiming for a time. Make sure you get that long run up around 19km's, but slowly. If you add too much at once you will more than likely injure yourself.

Good luck with it and have fun!

Donna