Winter Motivation

Options
Hi! I'm sure this has been posted before, but what do you all do to help stay motivated during the winter months? Any tips, tricks and suggestions? I live in OH btw, so anyone from there feel free to join in the conversation!
Thanks!

Replies

• Psyb3r
    Psyb3r Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Find fun outdoor stuff do to. I snowboard so it's great to get out and it burns a ton of calories too!
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    I live in Columbus, OH and HATE winter. I am from the south and we got transferred here 5 yrs ago. I HATE IT!! Summer is too short and winter is gray and goes on forever. I am a treadmill addict in the winter as I cannot golf, garden, walk outside, enjoy the sunshine etc.

Not sure what else to tell you but... save for retirement and move south!!!!:glasses: :glasses:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i sign up for a race that is in early spring. it helps keep me focused.
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Think of looking hot for the summer when u will be wearing less clothes :)

This! Summer bodies are made in winter - I've seen that on here a few times!!
  • nlewis22
    nlewis22 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I dislike skiing/snowboarding-I tried them both and failed miserably.
    @ Lambchoplewis, it makes me sad you don't like Ohio, I love it here (except in Jan./Feb.) but maybe it's because I live in Athens?
    I've done 5 5k's this year and I've been thinking about training for a 10k, but there aren't any around until April.
    I do like all of these ideas though-especially the one about looking good when summer rolls around again!
    Keep them coming! :)
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    First off, I am Canadian so we have dealt with some crazy winter's! I actually like winter(if it's not -30 below) I have 2 dogs, so I take them for a run in the field almost everyday (including in the winter. My Fiance and I love going out to shovel the driveway together on Saturday mornings then indulge in some snowman making and snowball fighting. Who cares how old you are!

Also, I love doing Yoga by my fireplace, definitely gets me sweating!

My motivation is just to remain healthy, no matter the seasons. If you can't work out every day, no big deal, just try to make healthier choices throughout your day. Knowing that you won't have to work off that "Winter Sweater" in the spring/summer is good enough motivation to keep me healthy and fit throughout the cold months.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    i sign up for a race that is in early spring. it helps keep me focused.

This.
    April 2014 Superhero Scramble.

And the big spring reveal of my fabulousness after a long, cold winter of bulky, unflattering sweaters.
  • AnotherOrangeCat
    Options
    Parties. And party dresses. And dancing.

(I'm actually not as shallow as I seem to appear....:huh: )
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    First half marathon of the year is on the 2 March, primary reason that I do it is because it keeps me running through the winter!

What is it in particular that makes you less motivated during the winter? Holiday foods? Bad weather stopping your activities? Feeling "cosy" and staying in bed? The dark?

Perhaps you can find some winter goals to focus on. I try to maintain my running throught the winter but I don't push for more mileage or record speed (dangerous on ice don't you know). Instead my focus this year is to become serious with my attempts at handstands, rock out some solo drop-backs in my yoga practice and introduce 3 new types of veg-based-alternative food for the family Christmas dinner.

I like to come out of winter stronger than ever, it's my secret weapon to being awesome, that you do it 12 months a year, not just when it's sunny.
  • nlewis22
    Options
    This.
    April 2014 Superhero Scramble.

And the big spring reveal of my fabulousness after a long, cold winter of bulky, unflattering sweaters

> That's actually what I was referring to!
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I just remember that beach / pool season comes up on ya real fast and by the time it warms up it's usually too late to make a difference.
  • nlewis22
    Options
    First half marathon of the year is on the 2 March, primary reason that I do it is because it keeps me running through the winter!

What is it in particular that makes you less motivated during the winter? Holiday foods? Bad weather stopping your activities? Feeling "cosy" and staying in bed? The dark?

I think it is a combination of things. My family are all "big eaters" but I've been doing well dealing with that so far. I do have the most tenacious sweet tooth though. I also suffer from getting really depressed and down during the winter months, and I am counting on exercise on helping me stave that off. I think I'm also just nervous about running out side when it's cold and worried that I won't stick with it. My husband says he'll run with me, but he's in much better shape than I am and so I feel like I hold him back. And the cozy in bed thing for sure. I'm definitely a stay at home and read kinda girl in the winter.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I know you said you don't like skiing/snowboarding... Have you tried snowshoeing or cross-country skiing? Both are fantastic workouts!

I grew up in Michigan so I know how dark, drab, and demotivating the midwest can be in the wintertime. I moved out to the east coast (first CT and now Boston) and it's surprising how much bluer the sky is all winter--makes it much easier to weather (and we still get a decent amount of snow).
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I just do it, I start at 4am, and get it done and over with.
    I go no matter what, rain, snow, minus 25!
    I LOVE IT!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I usually hit the weight room harder in the winter. I am also fortunate in that the winters here are pretty mild and relatively short. It's still pretty nice out right now...temps in the 60s so I'm still putting in the miles on my bike. Once we get into mid December and through January it'll be a different story and I'll probably not do as much cycling and mostly lift...I can't slack off too much though, I have a 1/2 century in April and a century ride in May.

I also do winter sports like skiing and I'm going to do some snow shoeing this year.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    <
    the abominable snowman (Hypothermic Half 2012)

Embrace the fact that you have 4 seasons, if you're dressed properly there is no such thing as bad weather. Get outside and enjoy winter activities (skiing, snowshoeing, etc etc) and - if you like running - get out and run (carefully) in the snow!
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    XC ski baby!
  • Chain_Ring
    Options
    Fat bike!
  • Chain_Ring
    Options
    Snowshoe!