VEGETARIANS: Please, Help a Newbie Out

Options
2»

Replies

• ladybug114
    ladybug114 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for 4 years and vegan for about 2. For me the easiest way to eat healthy at restaurants is to order sides as my meal, like sauteed veggies and brown rice or quinoa. Maybe a little bit of bread just to satisfy my carb cravings :) Once you figure out how to incorporate more fruits and veggies and not just rely on fake meat it's easy. Keep going! And don't be afraid of carbs from fruit! Good luck :)
  • peasantsong
    peasantsong Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and my diary is open to friends if you want to friend me and check out the stuff I eat on the reg. I don't exclusively eat pasta nor do I ever lack protein in my diet.

Some examples of recipes I made this week:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/08/southwestern-black-bean-quinoa-and.html
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/10/risotto-is-creamy-italian-rice-dish.html
    and a concoction of my own: spaghetti squash tossed with olive oil, garlic, basil, cherry tomatoes, pine nuts and asparagus
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    This is suuuper dangerous. I suggest you read more about this lifestyle you have chosen; because it is a lifestyle, not a diet.
    I've know many "vegetarians" and "vegans" (some being my friends) who have literally ate nothing but starchy breads, pastas, etc. because they didnt know where to get their protein (among other things). They didn't bother to do the footwork or proper research to go about it a healthy, beneficial way.

So again, read up and explore the many possibilities and options of being a vegetarian :)
    If you like to cook and have time, I suggest making your own "mock" meats so you know exactly what goes in. You can find many recipes online and through various veggie blogs.

Also, joining a local vegetarian meet-up group(s) helps too!
    Remember: just because it's vegetarian/vegan does NOT mean it's healthy \/better for you. Don't be fooled by the readily-available fake meats and cheeses; they are equally just as bad (some are, some aren't. again, do your research)

I have been vegetarian all my life and was fat. But that is because I made the wrong food choices, not because I don't eat meat. Now my diet consists of mostly fruits, veggies, and healthy grains instead of starchy carbs and sugar. There is nothing more "dangerous" about being vegetarian then there is being omnivorous.
  • rosemary98
    Options
    Yes, proteins are essential. Unfortunately, non-meat sources of protein tend to be carb/calories heavy. I ave a friend who is lactose intolerant, vegan, and eats gluten free. It is difficult for him to get all of his nutrients without being slightly overweight. Slim, healthy vegetarians/vegans are rare. Not impossible, but rare. Most people think being a vegetarian is a easy ticket to being slim, but that is not the case.

I am not a vegetarian. I eat fish about twice a week. I also do not consume milk products. I get a LOT of my protein through Peanut Flour, Protein Plus. It is high in protein, high in fiber, no sodium. one fourth a cup is 110 calories. check in out on amazon for reviews. you can eat it as peanut butter by mixing it with water, add it to some milk as a shake. cook with it.
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    just look at this blog: garden-of-vegan.tumblr.com

This is fantastic!
  • pixiewishes19
    Options
    I've been vegetarian my whole life and my entire family are. I'm in the UK so we use the Cook Vegetarian magazines (www.cookveg.co.uk) and one of my favourite chilli recipes is from there (http://www.cookveg.co.uk/vegetarian-recipes/recipe/three-bean-chilli/#.UatMC0Ckqz4) Chilli is an absolute godsend, really tasty, easy to make, easy to freeze so you don't have to cook every night and really cheap if you use a lot of pulses and don't bother with meat substitutes. Curries are also really good, but try and find actual Indian ones. I don't know where you're based, but here a lot of curry places have English-Indian and this is normally pretty unhealthy, whereas more traditional stuff isn't! There's a brilliant book, Hansa's Indian Vegetarian Cookbook. She has a really famous restaurant in Leeds and her curries are great (although she does tend to overdo oil and salt so cut those!) Try Amazon for that and also the Crank's recipe books, especially Crank's Fast Food, because all the stuff in there is quick and healthy and really nice. There's also Rose Elliot, who is a bit more 70s, lots of lentils, but still pretty good. Most of these people have online sites as well, if you don't want to commit to the books yet. Look for Italian and Greek starters and sides, as they're often vegetarian, and then Chinese, Japanese, African and Indian foods, as a lot of people in these countries either don't have access to as much meat, or don't eat it for religious reasons. Stirfries are great if you're in a hurry. There's a gorgeous African dish called Ojja if you eat eggs, which is lovely and filling! Couscous is also amazing, it's better than pasta on the GI levels and also a lot quicker. Most importantly, spices are your friends! Anything can be made good with cumin, coriander and smoked paprika! I have way more options/recipes bookmarked if you're interested, but didn't want to fill up your thread too much! Feel free to message if you have any other questions.
  • Blueshoozies
    Options
    I recently went vegetarian - a bold move since I never considered myself a veggie lover. But, after being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, I had to change my evil ways. I would recommend you include some fish in your diet for a while for the protein. Also, keyword search "vegetarian" and "vegan" cookbooks at amazon.com ... many of them let you get a look at some of the recipes and if you google the cookbook authors, you can usually find their sites which have the recipes for free. Also, I bought and use The Mediterranean Diet Cookbook for Dummies - not so much a diet as just good, whole-foods type meals with nutrition info. Also Giada has a new healthy lifestyle cookbook out with easy to follow recipes with nutrition info. One other thing I did was buy a Lekue silicone microwave steamer at Sur La Table ... it came with a cookbook with recipes that serve one or two people. I hesitated on the purchase a long time, but I am very glad I got it ... extremely easy to cook with and clean up. Good luck!
  • misstasty
    misstasty Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There are some really great veggie/vegan cookbooks out there - two of my faves are Vegenomicon and Appetite for Reduction both by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. Or you could check out her website http://www.theppk.com/ for some inspiration.

Good tip on looking to cultures/cuisines with a strong vegetarian focus. Indian, middle eastern, mediterranean.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    There are some really great veggie/vegan cookbooks out there - two of my faves are Vegenomicon and Appetite for Reduction both by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. Or you could check out her website http://www.theppk.com/ for some inspiration.

Good tip on looking to cultures/cuisines with a strong vegetarian focus. Indian, middle eastern, mediterranean.

Another vote for ppk.com and fatfreevegan.com and vegan dad.

I'm not vegetarian or vegan, but my search for recipes flavored with something other than 10lbs of cheese, bacon & cream sauce has led me to explore a lot of vegan recipes. All the recipes I've tried from those 3 sites have been delicious. And make your own faux meat. It's cool, it's kind of fun, and costs like 65 cents a pound. Don't do this if you have gluten issues though.
  • RachelN76
    RachelN76 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've been veggie for over 25 years now so it's pretty second nature now.
    I got fat just because I like crisps, chocolate, and cheese too much, not because I don't know what I SHOULD eat!

I totally agree with Pixiewishes that Hansas is amazing! We used to go there a fair bit when we lived in Leeds.

I now tend to just buy regular cookbooks though (or borrow them from the library because I'm cheap!) and veggify the recipes.

I use halloumi, pulses, tofu, and other meat substitutes sometimes like Quorn or soya pieces and mince instead of meat. Or nuts. Or whatever. It gets easier with time. But a few good basic veggie cookbooks are good to have for general everyday meals.
  • kifahalal
    Options
    congrats! i've been veggie off and on (yes, i'm guilty) since i was a teenager (i'm now 32). it helps that i grew up eating korean food, which is already heavy on the veggies, tofu, and mostly only fish. so i'd suggest (if you like it) different cuisines famous for their veggies (and non-meat): e.g., korean, japanese, and most FAMOUSLY indian food.

tofu is great. i went full vegan for a while but it was a bit hard (and expensive) but this was almost 10 years ago. a lot has improved with the variety of foods out there now. but i still live the vegan "lifestyle" when i can (e.g., trying to not wear leather, suede, etc.) i'd recommend going into the veggie/vegan diet slowly and experimenting with it first, especially if it's entirely new to you. for instance, maybe just cut the red meat and chicken and stick with fish... it can be hard to go cold turkey on meat--even for me as a veggie but closet meat-lover.

but really, there are tons of veggie or vegan books out there - many already recommended on your post - that'll help you out. one thing is pretty certain - at least in my case (although this is probably supported by other scientific evidence). when i was on my veggie diet every physical i had, i had amazing results--particularly with my cholesterol. the doctor was always blown away with how "good my blood was." the whole are you getting enough protein, vitamin b thing... to some extent it's true but as long as you're eating a variety of foods, including nuts, etc. then you're fine. or worst case, take a vitamin supplement. no big deal. biggest thing though - off heavy meat, i just felt lighter, less gassy, bloated, etc. in general. so it's definitely the preferable way to live--even if you don't go all out vegan or even veggie at once.

again, take it slow, experiment and have fun.

congrats!
  • illuvatree
    illuvatree Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    What I do for dinner is... I'll make a grain, like brown rice or quinoa or something, sautee some mixed veggies and put baby spinach with them, and then add soy sauce. Sweet potatoes are good to add to that too. Also if you make your own soups with veggie broth, veggies, potatoes, and grains, it's a way to be creative and try new ideas!
  • Adrianabp
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian for 20+ years and like a large portion of the population, I still wonder what I should make for dinner. Lately I have been using Emeals (they have a vegetarian option). You pay a monthly fee and each week they put together a list of 7 simple recipes (prep time is listed but varies). You get a shopping list (there is a free app that makes shopping really easy). So you can have all the ingredients on hand for all your dinners for the week. There is less food waste and the best have found their way into my regular dinner rotation. I usually have leftovers for lunch.

This is a really easy way to figure what vegetarian meals you like and enjoy cooking. Almost everything is been great.
  • dellaquilaa
    dellaquilaa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I love the Happy Herbivore cookbooks (as well as her website) and plantbasedonabudget.com =)
  • Mithrakana
    Mithrakana Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Gram (aka chickpea) flour is your friend. Become familiar with the many splendid strange flours that our culture rarely uses. Learn a good veg tamale recipe, they store well and are a quick awesome snack. Also, there are some Asian noodles that have a superior nutritional profile to wheat pasta - try learning to make japchae and soba, for starters.

I will be brief, and I don't mean to beat you over the head about becoming a vegetarian, by all means do as you like and I hope you are successful. However, be advised that vegetarianism isn't for everybody's body.

The biggest dietary challenge of being a vegetarian: Protein/carb ratio. Your protein sources as a veg, by and large, are very heavy in carbohydrates. I've known a lot of people who thrive on this. Personally, it wrecked me and caused pretty bad spikes/troughs in my blood sugar throughout the day. Keep an eye on your hair, your fingernails, and your energy levels.

I was vegetarian for about six years after working in a Chinese restaurant (I saw THINGS, man...) I was a very well-informed vegetarian, no junk food here. I am thinner and healthier now that I eat some lean meat every day. That's just me!

One more thing - To keep your protein up while you pursue this new style of eating, I STRONGLY recommend trying TruFood Vegan mixed with Growing Naturals raw yellow pea protein (plain). VegaOne is a smoother meal supplement than TruFood, but TruFood is a helluvalot cheaper. This stuff will make you a super hero! I drink it every single day, I swear by it. I mix it with cold water and a little cold coffee, you could get fancy if you wanted to.

Some recipes:
    http://www.bobsredmill.com/recipes.php?recipe=1611 --Intro to gram flour. I like to add peas 'n stuff. These travel well.
    http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/japchae --Japchae by Maangchi, she is amazing. Give her site a browse.
  • Tmsmith007
    Options
    Hello,

I have been looking into vegetarianism for a long time. In a few days, I will have not eaten meat for a month.

Now, my trouble is not knowing what to cook or eat. I am still trying to lose weight, and most vegetarian options I see are either salads or pasta. I don't want to load up on carbs, so I am trying not to rely on pasta. Also, I love salads, but the regular leafy greens with dressing are starting to get old. Fried zucchini is amazing, but the fried part doesn't sound like it will help my waistline move in the direction I want it to.

Are there any suggestions, recipes, websites with low-calorie recipes, etc. that I could reference to keep losing weight, while switching to vegetarianism. I am not much of a cook, so the easier, the better. However, I am open to new things, and if a recipe rocks, I will definitely try it out.

Any help will be extremely appreciated!!

Not exactly an expert, but be sure to find a reliable source of protein, especially if working out. Also, keep an eye on your calcium, last thing you want is to mess up your body and contract osteoporosis.
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    My son went veggie about 6 months ago for ethical reasons and he has certainly lost weight as a side-effect. As other have said you need to be careful about your food choices as lots of things that are not meat based are also unhealthy!

We cook lots of things based on lentils and chickpeas which are cheap, easy and versatile. We have things like veggie curries and bean stews that are really tasty. Also we do roasted veggies (yum and sooo easy) quite a lot. He loves mushrooms (tasty and nutritious) and also tofu which can be used in all sorts of dishes. Eggs are another good source of protein. Cheese is tasty but not so great if you're trying to lose weight so use small amounts of strong cheeses like feta for flavour.

Really you need to spend some time browsing on the web or in a bookstore to find recipes that appeal to you. Try to avoid processed 'fake meats' as they are not only pretty unhealthy but most seem to be pretty horrible and expensive. Eating out is more challenging as most restaurants are fairly unimaginative for veggie options and there is a limit to how much pasta or risotto you can eat.

Good luck. Try new things and have fun. Remember the clue's in the name ... eat lots of vegetables and you can't go wrong.

This lady speaks with sense!
    I have been vegetarian for 31 years. (I just never enjoyed eating meat as a child so gave it up when I left home)

I stopped eating meat.

Simple.

It doesn't have to be complicated.
    All 3 of my children were brought up vegetarian and are as fit, active and healthy as anyone else.
    As I got more interested I started to find alternative protein sources, like quorn, some dairy products, soya proteins and chick peas etc.
    If you want to try new stuff then do it. Don't be put off by people who like to get complicated.
    Just my advice, but as I said, I've been vegetarian for a long time.
    (By the way, the reason I put on weight, and ended up on this site, is that I got very lazy after my 3rd child was born, and then seriously started eating sweets and stuff, which I've had to train myself away from.)
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    0f158371-351b-4a0c-955d-949020fa90cc_zps1c891e05.jpg

good god I'd get so fat on that

OP: Eggs and dairy if you don't plan to go vegan.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Check out some of the vegetarian groups here for information: Happy Herbivores, Team Vegan.

There are plenty of healthy, slim vegetarians. (I never struggled with protein until I had to eliminate gluten from my diet.)

Check out blogs like OhSheGlows, PeasandThankYou, and ChocolateCoveredKatie.com for tons of recipes.
  • sami_83
    sami_83 Posts: 161
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for about 7 years now and my diet is WAY more varied now than it was when I was omni. Also I started liking foods that I'd hated previously, for some reason (like mushrooms and avocadoes), so don't be afraid to try things a few times.

A great recipe site is the Post Punk Kitchen. I also like Veggieful but it's an Aussie site so not sure if it'll be relevant/helpful for you.

It's easy to convert most omni meals to veg ones. My faves are: curry (chickpea, potato and spinach), lasagne (just use tinned lentils instead of mince, it's SO GOOD), pasta (tomato is a winner), pizza (potato, zucchini and mushroom), burritos (refried beans are brilliant) and asian foods of all varieties (I am mad for tofu and anything noodle-based).

Anyway feel free to add me/have a squiz at my diary. I'm not the healthiest vego going around but I eat decently a lot of the time.

Don't be afraid to experiment, experiment, experiment :smile: best of luck xx