Suggestions for healthy breakfast foods?

Options
I am really struggling with healthy choices for breakfast foods. I've cut out all the cereals, etc. I've been doing eggs but wondered if others have suggestions.

Thanks!!

Replies

• jblackjr
    jblackjr Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I do Kashi go Lean. Great tasting cereal without all the loaded sugar, plus its like 9g of fiber per serving :)
  • ThatOperaGirl
    ThatOperaGirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    If I want something light for breakfast, plain Greek yoghurt and fruit is a winner for me. Maybe drizzled with a bit of honey if I feel like it.

Keep in mind that you don't *have* to stick to "breakfast" foods just because it's the first meal of the day. My sister often eats leftovers from dinner for breakfast, and I often have a load of vegetables on the side with my eggs.
  • Determined82
    Determined82 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I try to keep breakfast light so I have more calories for later in the day. I either drink a Slim Fast shake (190 calories) or I have a banana (105 calories) and chocolate chip granola bar (100 calories).
  • WonStepAtaTime
    WonStepAtaTime Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I don't have a lot of time in the morning but I make sure all my vegis are prepped the night before. So, I can make either one of my two favorite egg meals.
    2egg omelet with spinach, bell peppers, mushrooms, a little diced ham, and a sprinkle of cheese with grilled grape tomatoes
    OR
    a ham/egg sandwich with spinach and a little mustard (one slice of 100% whole wheat bread folded for 1/2 sandwich).

Both are very filling and really get my day started off right!
  • kmurphy0403
    kmurphy0403 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have trouble with breakfast too. I usually do eggs but I think I am getting too much protein and cholesterol from them so trying to cut back. Greek yogurt sounds good. I have had Light and Fit Greek Vanilla, It's low in calories and tastes almost like ice cream!
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I like to make big egg casseroles on Sundays and eat on them for the week. They are delicious, satisfying, and best of all - versatile so you can switch up the ingredients on a regular basis and will never get bored!

Here are the basic ingredients you'd use each time. I'll talk about suggestions of what types of these foods to use next.

1. Veggies of any variety, cooked (make sure to drain out any liquid that may have been yielded by veggies like mushrooms, tomatoes, and spinach. Veggies must be DRY otherwise you get that watery liquid coming out of your completed casserole and its annoying. But don't throw that liquid away! I suggest stirring it into the egg mixture for flavor! The science is totally different when you do that - i.e., it doesn't create the excess liquid in the bottom of the pan.)
    2. Meat of any variety, cooked
    3. Shredded cheese of any variety
    4. 4 extra large eggs
    5. 8 extra large eggs - egg whites only
    6. 1/2 C. low fat cottage cheese
    7. Spices and/or herbs of any variety
    8. Salt and Pepper

-Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees.
    -Spray a 9 x 13 pan with Pam cooking spray (I use a glass pan)
    -Sprinkle the veggies and meat evenly over the bottom of the pan.
    -Sprinkle the shredded cheese over that.
    -In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, egg whites, cottage cheese, and spices/herbs/S&P until completely mixed and fluffy. Putting them in the blender works best, IMO.
    -Pour the egg mixture over the veggie/meat/cheese in the pan and bake for 20 mins. Carefully open the oven door (it gets puffy and you don't want to flatten it) and check the center of the casserole. If it's still wet, put it in for 5 more mins. Keep doing this until the center is still fluffy but done and the sides are golden and *slightly* pulling away from the side of the pan.
    -Let it cool then cut into six huge pieces. They keep beautifully for about 4-5 days. I usually put 4 in the fridge then freeze the other two. They freeze nicely.

I'm not giving you quantities of meat, veggies, and cheese because this recipe is designed for you to decide exactly how many calories you want each slice to be. Thus, you will have to adjust your ingredient quantities based on that final number. So what I do is put all the ingredients in a recipe on MFP first, look at how much it comes to, and if the calorie number is too high, then I adjust quantities of the meat and cheese. Hopefully that makes sense.

Okay, here are some ideas. :)

Crumbled Morningstar sausage patties + Sauteed garlic, onion, mushrooms, and spinach + sharp cheddar cheese + Italian seasoning, sage, and garlic salt

Crumbled Spicy black bean veggie burgers + steamed bag of southwestern frozen veggies + roasted poblano pepper + chopped fresh cilantro + monterey jack cheese + taco seasoning

Cubed ham + sauteed mushrooms, scallions, and broccoli (or, a steamed bag of California veggies) + swiss cheese + one Tbsp brown mustard + onion salt, dried mustard, garlic powder

Smoked salmon + sauteed spinach, red onion, garlic, capers, and tomato + cubed up goat cheese + fresh sliced basil, garlic powder, and onion powder

Cubed chicken apple sausage + roasted cubed sweet potatoes or butternut squash, onions, and apples + monterey jack cheese + sage, rosemary, oregano, garlic, and onion powder

I did something REALLY daring once - don't know if you like Hawaiian pizza, but I made a casserole like it once! Cubed ham + sauteed onion, mushroom, spinach, and PINEAPPLE + mozzerella cheese + I stirred some pizza sauce and lots of italian spices and garlic powder into the eggs! It was weird but DIVINE.

Hopefully this is giving you some ideas and inspiration to get creative with your own ideas!
  • ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I loooove breakfast! My favorite is an egg white, 2 if I'm really hungry, with some low-fat shredded cheddar on a toasted english muffin. Omnomnomnom:) Very filling, I don't find that I'm tempted to snack during the morning.
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    P.S. - you can make the above recipe into little individual mini-quiches as well! Just do the exact same thing but put the stuff in muffin tins instead of a 9 x 13 pan! When I make these, I adjust them to be 100 calories a piece and they make a FANTASTIC little snack. They taste good hot or cold, too.
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I habitually have oatmeal in the morning, I have many recipes for it that I rotate through. This morning was baked chocolate, blueberry, almond. So good.
  • jyvonne27
    jyvonne27 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My favorite breakfast is old fashioned oats with 1/2 tsp sugar and 1/4 cup fruit (fresh cranberries, strawberries etc) and Turkey sausage or bacon in the side. It's filling, delicious, and I can make it at work in the microwave. I also like:
    Hardboiled eggs, fruit and t sausage/bacon
    Breakfast sandwiches (make a batch and freeze) egg whites, t bacon, cheddar cheese on a sourdough English muffin
    Cream of wheat
  • kmurphy0403
    Options
    Eileen- what kind of oatmeal do you use? and do you just throw those extra ingredients on top?
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Glad to share my recipe

40g old fashioned oats (I use country choice)
    1/4 tsp baking powder
    pinch of salt
    1 trivia packet
    3 tablespoons Hershey's dark cocoa powder
    1/2 tsp almond extract
    15 g sliced almonds
    100 g wild blue berries (I use wyman's frozen)
    1/2 c almond milk (30 calorie blue diamond)

mix all the dry ingredients, then add the wet and the fruit. Spray a ramekin with canola oil, lightly. Pour in the oatmeal mixture. Sprinkle the almonds on top. Bake at 350 for 22 minutes.

Now this is not a very sweet recipe, so tweak the sweetening to your preferences.

About 340 calories
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Bleah, some of these suggestions make me want to jump off a cliff. :tongue: Oatmeal? Kashi cereal? Kill me now. :huh:

I just get the McDonald's Egg White Delight McMuffin. It's yummy in the tummy, and I think it has some health something I don't know. Egg whites are healthy, right? I don't know, I don't keep track of that stuff. :drinker:
  • loveisblind1
    Options
    I like to cook my eggs with tomatoes. I cook scrambled eggs, take them out, stirfry tomato wedges with a little oil (or non stick spray), add salt, pepper, and coat it gently with some honey (a tbsp for a medium to large tomato), add the eggs back in and put some chopped green onions on top.

I also prefer having something quick otherwise. A spinach, cucumber, and avocado smoothie with a frozen banana and a tbsp of spirulina or ground flaxseed is great!
  • kmurphy0403
    Options
    Thanks Eileen!

Hey siansonea..instead of mcdonalds maybe you could try the jimmy dean turkey sausage egg white and cheese sandwich. You'll probably save on money and calories and they aren't bad!
  • Danieltenor
    Danieltenor Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Black coffee. Don't eat breakfast and you'll have more calories for later. After skipping it for a few days, you won't miss it at all! Coffee works way better sans breakfast, too. ;)
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Some of the things I rotate for breakfast:

Oatmeal with fruit or maple syrup
    Fresh fruit
    Yogurt (Greek or regular, generally with fruit)
    Cereal (generally organic something-or-other) with fruit
    Egg sandwich (egg, cheese, uncured bacon on whole-grain muffin)
    Scrambled egg
  • happygolucky721
    happygolucky721 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    yum! will try :)
  • addean1
    addean1 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I love egg white French toast- found a delicious bread that is only 65 cal Per slice, dip it in egg whites with some cinnamon and vanilla mixed in, and cook on the griddle with Pam spray. Delicious with fruit on top.

Other favorites, egg white omelet, had one this morning with turkey, avocado, and cream cheese. Yum!

Oatmeal- (or other grain cereal) I like mine with some toasted coconut, toasted almonds, and a few chocolate chips thrown in- like an almond joy candy bar. :) You can toast almonds and coconut in a bowl in the microwave, just watch that it doesn't burn, as they toast fast.
  • GOINSTD12
    GOINSTD12 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    2 egg-white omelet with sauteed onions, peppers, and cherry tomatoes - about 100 cal - throw in mushrooms and cooked broccoli, it only adds about 30 cal and is SOO GOOD.
    1 slice dry toast with lingonsylt (lingonberry jam, IKEA) - 100 cal
    coffee with non-dairy creamer, liquid stevia, and non-fat cocoa powder, about 40 cal

very filling, very healthy, breaks your body's fast in the morning and tells it to start burning calories again. You should NEVER skip breakfast, studies have shown that people that eat breakfast lose weight faster than those that don't.