doing atkins diet and logging calories

Options
I have no interest in trying the atkins diet for myself, I am just genuinely curious.. has anyone here tried the atkins diet and been logging the food and eating above maintenance calories and lost weight?

it is still eating less than you burn or is it something else?

Replies

• SarahMakePretty
    SarahMakePretty Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Well I think overall being low carb causes your body to use other sources of energy aside from carbs, causing weight loss. And I also believe that protein takes more energy to digest/burn, also increasing your daily calorie expenditure. (Not a scientist this is just what I've taken from reading). I highly doubt you can go into a bacon butter at 2,500 calorie fest and lose weight, however. At some point it comes down to basic calories in and out.
  • sammieloft91
    Options
    I started the atkins diet its mainly lean meats and good fats and oils start with. My calories equal up to almost 1200, my protein intake is like 80, my carb intake is like 20-25. I only have done one day so i dont know if ive lost any weight yet. I ate 3 meals and 2 atkins low carb snack bars.
  • echarlto
    echarlto Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    For a couple of reasons, low-carb supresses your appetite. So, your diminished appetite causes you to eat less than you would without the diet. To lose weight, you still have to consume fewer calories than you burn. The Atkins Diet just makes it easier.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing Atkins by the book but I do use a lo carb plan, my goal is to be 50-60 net carbs per day. I'm not eating at or over maintenance though, I'm still running a deficit. I don't think it matters where your calories come from, if you are over your TDEE you'll gain. For me, I was stuck for a long time and once I cut carbs down, the scale started to move again.

It doesn't really suppress my appetite, but the foods I eat leave me feeling satisfied. I rarely feel hungry.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You still have to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight. It doesn't matter what diet you do or food you eat. You can't lose weight eating at maintenance or above.