Logging BodyPump

Options
Shouldn't this be listed as strength training? It's showing up as cardio & I really think it's overstating my calories. This seems to be more strength than cardio for me. How are you logging?

Replies

• bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    How do you like BodyPump? They have advertisements all over my gym, saying that you can burn 1000 calories doing it (which I hate since every person burns at a different rate) and wanted to try to see if it was a good workout, but I have never seen a person leave the class sweaty or out of breath, and a lot of them are either working out before or after as well. I was wondering if this is a specific thing where they might have a bad trainer, or if it is like that in other places too?
  • Wrxsti23
    Options
    I have done bodypump several times and according to my chest strap heart rate monitor I burn between 400-500 in the class. Most people consider it Cardio although after doing it I feel like it is more strength training. I agree with my HRM and log those calories. Your heart rate is up the whole time and it is an hour long so it's cardio-ish in that sense.
  • 2loseit2
    Options
    i enjoy all the les mills classes. we have moved recently into an area where the les mills is not as big. but i used to do pump and combat all the time.

i really enjoyed body pump at one point i even gained 10 pounds over a couple months as i was loading more than i needed.

I never felt it was as great of a workout as running for 45 minutes cardio wise but i wish i could throw this class back into my workout mix 2 days a week. i also would say i never felt 1000 cals burned during body pump but strength training wise it was a great total body workout
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I love body pump. I've done it twice a week for the past four months or so. It kicked my *kitten* at first! Wow! I barely take the stairs out of the gym after the first class. I still sweat a lot now, it really gets my heart beating, but I don't feel that it is as good of a workout as it used to be. Good, because it means I've gotten stronger, but bad because now I have to find something else to do to challenge my body! And pump is so much fun!

I really feel that it is more of a cardio class, because the weights you are using aren't huge, and you are doing so many reps. The goal is to get your heart rate up while doing light/moderate lifting, so I'd count it as cardio and take the muscle work as a bonus.

"Muscle endurance" is what it is called, I believe.
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I wore my bodymedia FIT during my last class and it registered a mere 85 calories burned. I don't know how that could be right but it registered my run accurately right before.
  • kkgant
    kkgant Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've really enjoyed it so far, and I just added it to my mix. Lost most of my weight & have the running down pat, but this is fun for toning, which is all I'l relaly interested in. I think I burn way more calories running for an hour than doing this though...
  • Ronda73
    Ronda73 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I also burn between 400-500 calories per class according to my HRM. I really enjoy it. I've gotten lot stronger since I started it a few months ago. A few of the tracks my HR gets up there. For me it's a good mix.
  • sandlerlover
    sandlerlover Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I loved BP and used my heart rate monitor to track. I would burn between 500-800 calories. It was a great workout but I would still do the bike/stairs/treadmill afterwards for more cardio.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I've done BodyPump at 2 different gyms and do grouppower (different brand same damn thing) 2X a week and I wear my FT40 my calorie burn ranges between 270-470 depending on the current set. I do give myself more calories on those days as opposed to just burn calories as I I know my metabolism goes insane.
  • Qski
    Qski Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    If people come out of BodyPump class and they are not sweaty or shaky then I don't think they are working with heavy enough weights. The idea is that you should be adding weights every time a track is easy for you (but you also need to lower weights if say the next version's track is twice as long or has way more reps for the body part you were working).

Les Mills has sponsored a lot of studies of their own classes, and I am pretty sure that almost all the others burn more calories but BodyPump was shown to burn the highest amount of fat of all of them. So that would mean it would appear to make a bigger difference to your shape.

A lot of people get DOMS the first time they do a PUMP class which is supposed to indicate muscle inflammation, which is what you need to build muscle. But if you are not pushing yourself to that level (I don't mean to pain - because some people will only ever get DOMS once, and it doesn't mean you are not working hard if you don't get) of intensity again then you are not building your muscle.

as someone else mentioned it's more about muscle endurance.

Doesn't a fit bit only calculate steps? - it wouldn't be able to measure a caloric burn for a pump class then... so that wouldn't work.
  • katrinajMiles
    katrinajMiles Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I love BodyPump on a good week I'll do the class three times.

I'd burn between 300 - 500 cal in each class depending on how I'm feeling that day and what I set my weights as. The good thing about it is they have small breaks in between the tracks where you can add or take off weight depending on how you're traveling during the track.

I log it as a cardio but it is differently a work out and I've got sweat dripping off me by the second track.
  • bmiller211
    bmiller211 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    our pump class says you will burn up to 550 calories...I feel as if I burn 55,000,000 when I come out!! I do enjoy it immensely!! It does make a diff if you like you trainer...we have one who only yells at us so we don't go there!! :grumble: :explode: :ohwell:
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Body pump is great cardio workout with steength traing. High energy and lots of fun=high calorie burn. I lovethis vlass and miss it terribly. Dang you hip!
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Love Body Pump .. wonderful class. I log it as Cardio .. like who cares what you really call it. It is right around 450 calories for me .. for the 60 min class.

It is under Les Mills Body Pump in the database.
  • donnaleighh
    donnaleighh Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I do Body Pump and love it. It's there under Cardio and thats where I would leave it - it is after all a cardio weights class, its all about the reps.

Obviously what you burn is relative to your weight, height, exertion, weights and reps ... I use a HRM and I burn min 380 and max of about 475.