How to start "heavy lifting"

Options
2»

Replies

• retrobyte
    retrobyte Posts: 169 Member
    Options

What does DOMS stand for?

Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. Usually more sore 2 days later than 1 day later.
  • retrobyte
    retrobyte Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I mostly use free weights but I also use the cables for lat pulldowns, seated row, tricep pulldown, crossovers, wood choppers, etc and the leg press machine. I hope it is acceptable to use the cable machine.

Absolutely. All those exercises you listed are excellent uses of cable stations. And a plate loaded leg press is a lovely thing to use.
  • dewgirl321
    dewgirl321 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Start now. Bodybuilding.com has great programs and videos to help you; it's an excellent resource for free information.
  • jennz81
    jennz81 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    *Bump*
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    bumping this
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Start now. I wish I had started earlier. :grumble:

me too. i say start now. you will not regret it.
  • andreagenther
    andreagenther Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I started lifting "Body for Life" by Bill Phillips and fell in love. More recently I have done "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" and "The New Rules of Lifting for Abs" by Lou Schuler. I would strongly recommend "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" as a way to start lifting. He does a good job of explaining the science behind lifting and eating to support the work you do at the gym. The lifting program is full of compound movements that will give you better balance and a functional strength.

Before starting a new workout I usually read about the movements and google them to find videos to perfect my form. I even practice a few body weight reps before I get to the gym. I want to use my gym time as efficiently as possible. Planing is key to getting the most out of your gym time.

Whatever program you decide to start with start soon. It was one of the best things I have ever done for myself.
  • marlo665
    marlo665 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    bump
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    bump to read later