What is a meat that doesn't need a lot of salt/seasoning?

Options

Replies

• Taterpoof
    Taterpoof Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    There is this meal at olive garden that I always get. It's around 400 calories or so. It's grilled chicken with an apricot glaze and asparagus. Soooooooo delicious. The recipe has salt, but you can eliminate that. I've made it without and it is still really good.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Poultry/VenetianApricotChicken.htm
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    What is a meat that doesn't need a lot of salt/seasoning?

Double Whammy request : Salt ~ flavouring agent and tenderiser
    Seasonings: Herbs, spices, sugar, honey, lemon/lime/orange juice, vinegar ++

To be limited in use or excluded .... :noway:
  • gk03ub
    gk03ub Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Fish! You don't need much, maybe just some lemon-pepper or lemon juice. I just add some paprika on Sole and its delish!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    There is this meal at olive garden that I always get. It's around 400 calories or so. It's grilled chicken with an apricot glaze and asparagus. Soooooooo delicious. The recipe has salt, but you can eliminate that. I've made it without and it is still really good.

That would be the Venetian Apricot Chicken.

400 calories.

1290 mg sodium.
  • Xenophonica
    Xenophonica Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Salmon, for sure.
  • Taterpoof
    Taterpoof Posts: 416 Member
    Options

That would be the Venetian Apricot Chicken.

400 calories.

1290 mg sodium.

That's why I don't add the salt when I make it myself
  • mdhummel
    mdhummel Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I don't put any salt or seasoning on shrimp. I just eat it with sriracha sauce since cocktail sauce has too much sugar in it.

If you are looking for healthier alternatives to flavor your meat try these recipes: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/healthy-sauces-dressings-and-toppings/#axzz2kYlEi25X I've made the Spicy Red Pepper Coconut Sauce and it is amazing.
  • musycnlyrics
    musycnlyrics Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I put McCormick Fiery Red Pepper on EVERYTHING
    No, really!
    I also use the spicy Mrs. Dash on everything.
    No, Really!!

I use a lot of garlic, pepper, cayenne, etc and I bake all my meats with peppers and onions.

I dont cook with salt often (only really use it for baking) because I retain and RIDICULOUS amount of water when my sodium exceeds 1500mg a day

Try peppers, onion, and garlic on your meets. With salmon I use cajun spices and cayenne. On beef I use worcestershire sauce (lil bit) and pepper and garlice. On chicken, spicy stuff

Havent used salt on meats in over a year and my food is darn tasty

GOOD LUCK!
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    I would just season with other things! There are lots of fresh herbs that add no sodium, next to 0 calorie and add tons of flavor.
  • MistyMtnMan
    MistyMtnMan Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I like to use vinegars, citrus juice and mustards for flavorful, low sodium, low cal alternatives.
  • cupcakes_and_cardio
    Options
    Pork/sausage and kielbasa come to mind for me
  • wiltl
    wiltl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I use a lot of garlic powder or crushed garlic. My parents went on a no/low salt kick when I was little (after my grandmother had a stroke and had to change her diet) so I don't use a lot of extra salt on meat. I also use a lot of powdered chilis for flavor.

The idea of using peppers and onions is really good too (I mean for what you're looking for, I personally hate eating both), you can simmer/saute the meat with them or saute them separately and eat with the meat to get the flavor. For chicken and fish, citrus fruits are good.
  • hikezilla
    hikezilla Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Fried Baloney needs nothing but love.
  • retrobyte
    retrobyte Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Many (not all) folks report that simply abstaining from the salt and seasonings for a while makes a person's taste buds better able to appreciate the 'subtleties' of the flavors of meats and other unaltered foods.

Works for me. I'm more than happy to enjoy any meat on the barbeque without any salt or seasoning, and have done for 20 years.
  • Just grill your meats. You wouldn't need any types
    of salt or seasoning.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Quorn and Tofu

This was dropped here by mistake.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    :wink:
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Spam?...........kidding.........maybe...........
  • Keep_The_Laughter
    Keep_The_Laughter Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    This company makes quite a few nice salt free spice blends and rubs. Perhaps you can find something that you like here.

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/c-Salt_Free.html?id=MYBKux9f
  • tlab827
    tlab827 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I season my meat with melted cheese.