Motivation=zero

Options
Can someone please throw me into the gym? Or outside to run? I am just so drained this time of year. I hate that it is dark when I get up and when I get home. I miss sunlight already and its only been a week. I need to get back to working out but I need to a push to make it happen!

Replies

• ThePeculiar
    Options
    I use a 350 watt halogen work lamp to combat the lack of sunlight this time of year.
  • Anita4life
    Options
    I use a 350 watt halogen work lamp to combat the lack of sunlight this time of year.

So should I strap something like that when I run to make it daylight out? LOL I would definitely be a beacon and people will be looking for sure! :laugh:
  • LLT57
    LLT57 Posts: 21
    Options
    Hi

How about starting off slowly by walking. I hear that walking is a very good form of exercise even though it is underrated. Try incorporating at least 30 minutes per day, 5 times a week of walking into your routine. I usually do this by walking part of the way to work. When I get fitter I think that I might start jogging or join a gym.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,659 Member
    Options
    If you really WANT to work out, you'll find a way. Till that time, urging you to do it is just trying to inspire you. You know all the reasons why, you just need to decide to do it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    You want results? Work for them.

You don't want to work? Live with no results.

Not trying to be mean. It was just this simple realization that turned a light bulb on in my head. I haven't needed motivation or inspiration since.

Motivation is unnecessary when you find discipline.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I use a BioBrite alarm clock that I got on Amazon. You can set it so a light slowly brightens 15, 30, or 60 minutes before your actual alarm goes off. I find that it's a much more gentle way to wake up. It's supposed to simulate a sunrise, and I usually wake up from the light and turn the alarm off before it tweets.

(You can also set it so the light will dim slowly as you fall asleep. I don't use that so much except if I need a nightlight to do something before I get into bed.)
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to exercise.. don't.

If you are on here to lose weight just eat less.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Try taking vitamin D with calcium or eat extra dairy products. Many people have seasonal mood disorders which are really vitamin d deficiencies. Any chance to get into the sun should be taken even if its freezing.

Forcing yourself to exercise will actually help with the blues/depression/meh feeling too, which gives you more energy to exercise tomorrow, and so on.

Just do it.
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Working out at home has been the best option for me. Time of day doesn't matter. Weather doesn't matter. My music, towel, and water are always within arm's reach. My shower is at the ready. There's no dress code. There's no waiting. And, because my mini-bike is right here beside my desk, there's no excuse.

This is my ride, and it is fabulous:
    MagER400.jpg

Cost including shipping: Less than four months' membership at my local gym. Bottom line: I made it as easy on myself as possible. In fewer than 60 miles I'll hit the 4,000-mile mark on that puppy since Sept. 1, 2012.
  • maradanielle
    maradanielle Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    there are days when I feel like that. Or I wake up feeling great and say I'm gonna get that work out in and then it fades with that first cup of coffee... especially when its cold. Keep you head up. on the days you do have the motivation make it count. on the days when the motivation is lacking try putting on some good music and dancing... or just moving around the house... i have three kids so keeping moving at my house is pretty easy.
  • athena1779
    athena1779 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would agree on the vitamin D and/or calcium, even Magnesium, but not so much on dairy. Especially if you are prone to sinus problems. Dairy products create additional mucus and if you are already feeling unmotivated, the additional mucus makes it worse :embarassed:
  • raynelundberg
    Options
    I have a horrible bout with Seasonal Afective Dissorder (SAD) every single year. I can say this, that if you get control of your diet, and insert some exercise, it will lighten up some. At least it really seems to matter to my mental state to feel like I am not so out of control. Meanwhile, you have all of my sympathy and we will get through these dark winter months together.
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I get that feeling as well, especially this time of year. The holidays are really difficult.

You know that you will feel better if you exercise.

When I get in this mood, I do baby steps to get myself going.
    I wake up early and tell myself that I can get a cup of coffee and see how I feel.
    Then I get dressed, telling myself that I can quit if I want.
    Then I tell myself that I will just go out for 15 minutes and see how I feel.
    Once I'm out the door, I will usually complete the workout.
    You could do this same thing with the gym. Just get there and get dressed and see how you feel.

The SAD does get better with exercise.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Thankfully, I work 7-3:30 so it's dark when I leave, but not when I get home. However, I still get my walk in at lunch every day since my kids are priority one after school.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    Can someone please throw me into the gym? Or outside to run? I am just so drained this time of year. I hate that it is dark when I get up and when I get home. I miss sunlight already and its only been a week. I need to get back to working out but I need to a push to make it happen!

well, either your motivated to lose weight, or your motivated to be overweight... one way or the other...

for example, my motivation to stay on track is simple, i dont want to be 100 pounds overweight again... thats my motivation... i dont want to be fat, i dont!

so... what do you want? your motivation should be found within your wants and desires...

i enjoy running in the dark! i run in the morning, and late at night...