Muscle Milk?

Does anyone drink Muscle Milk? Is it any good? My sister likes it but I don't really know much about it. Is it designed to be a meal replacement or to have after working out? I'm having a hard time eating (stress, etc) and I know I need to get my calories somewhere if I want to work out. So, would anyone recommend this? Anything else? Thanks, and sorry for all the questions!

Replies

• t_rog
    t_rog Posts: 363 Member
    Tried the vanilla one once, it was disgusting. I THOUGHT it was supposed to be taken before/after a workout, but it's actually intended to be a meal replacement. I think it's around 350 calories for a whole bottle... Wouldn't recommend.

EDIT: 250ish calories
  • It tastes awful. I drink shakeology as a meal replacement. Muscle milk is not a meal replacement. I have one in my fridge right now from like 2 months ago. I did drink them off and on for about a month but realized that it was so chalky when i had shakeology. It does have a lot of protein in it though.
  • runningathena
    runningathena Posts: 218 Member
    It's got a LOT of protein (and there's a light version as well), so if you find you're not getting enough protein in that could be a solution... I wouldn't call it a meal replacement, but it's good for a post-workout drink (60+ minutes of medium-high intensity) to replenish your muscles. It does have a thick consistency and some people say it tastes like chalk, but everyone's tastes are different. I like the light chocolate flavor a lot after a long run. Best of luck!

P.S. Another simple (and cheaper) option is to have a glass of chocolate milk after a workout; it's been proven to be an excellent recovery drink.
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    I bought a four pack of the 100 calorie chocolate and just had my first one. It's okay. It has a funky aftertaste but it wasn't horrible. Good bit of protein for small amount of calories!
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    There are a lot better protein drinks out there than muscle milk. There are a lot of additives in it.

Optimum Nutrition has a really good whey protein that mixes well and tastes good.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Muscle Milk light is better for you.

I prefer the Premier Protein, chocolate - 30gr protein, 160 calories. I have at least 1 a day!!!

Best of Luck!
  • lookpretty
    lookpretty Posts: 276 Member
    I have no idea the purpose of the original muscle milk, musle milk light is a good protien source with 100 calories but tastes like, idk, not good
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Scoop of vanilla, scoop of chocolate, 1 tbs peanut butter, 8 oz of milk and half a banana in a blender. Add ice to desired consistancy = DELICIOUS!
  • Best used after weight lifting. When i use as replacement i eat some kind of vegetable with it, but i am on 200+ protein diet so i eat every 3 hours
  • I think that it's a matter of preference, I personally like this brand as most others, to me, taste like chalk. Also you should look @ what it is you need, I drink Muscle Milk Protien+ which is low in carbs with decent protien. I don't use it a a meal replacement but use it pre & post workout then incorporate the rest of my calories for the day into the calculation. My advice is to find out what stresses you and try to fix the issue as that can stop you from succeding in your weight loss journey, tha was my issue & once I learn to cope I started kissing weight & didn't over eat because of stress. Just my 2 cents.
  • Luthorcrow
    Luthorcrow Posts: 193
    A protein shake made with good protein powder like (Biotest Low Carb) is much better. But when you are on the go or need a protein shake at least it is easy to find. The vanilla and the banana flavors are the only good ones. Yes it does have a bit of an after taste.

You are better off getting your own shaker mug or blender and making it yourself.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,902 Member
    There are a lot better protein drinks out there than muscle milk. There are a lot of additives in it.

Optimum Nutrition has a really good whey protein that mixes well and tastes good.
    This. I'm an ON fan for life. Nitrocore 24 and 100% Gold Standard Whey are my powders of choice in chocolate.
  • Thanks for all of the input. I wanted something that was RTD since I'm not home much so I ended up going with EAS myoplex lite, considering the low fat, 20g of protein and 5g of fiber. I'll see how i like it. Eventually I'll get tired of the high cost and get a powder so at least I have lots of suggestions now. I'll have to look into ON.
  • I used Bsn- Syntha 6 - Chocolate Milkshake, it has a great taste better then musclemilk?
  • I really like it, but I get the Vanilla Creme Light, I think it's in 8oz -- it's not as thick as the original one. It's great for after the gym, pair it with a banana and it's awesome.

I tried the chocolate and EWWWW -- totally gross!
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    it seems to be the only protein shake ive found that doesnt make me feel ill. Im presuming because its lactose free.
  • shelbym87
    shelbym87 Posts: 122 Member
    Bump.
    Looking for a decent tasting, recovery/protein drink. Started doing some research but have no clue where to even begin, there's so many out there that promise the world.
  • I was on a 5,000 calorie a day deit for almost a year used muscle milk as a post work out meal and NO shotgun before my workout and still lost close to 33lb a month for three months then reduced my workout time to an hour and a half from the 2 hour they were at.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Does anyone drink Muscle Milk? Is it any good? My sister likes it but I don't really know much about it. Is it designed to be a meal replacement or to have after working out? I'm having a hard time eating (stress, etc) and I know I need to get my calories somewhere if I want to work out. So, would anyone recommend this? Anything else? Thanks, and sorry for all the questions!

I like MM, good tasting protein drink.
    But it should be used as a supplement to a well rounded diet.
    opt for whole foods when possible, and protein drinks/bars when in a pinch or trying to finish out your calories for the day. :wink:
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Bump.
    Looking for a decent tasting, recovery/protein drink. Started doing some research but have no clue where to even begin, there's so many out there that promise the world.

Yeah, it is all hype.

Look at the nutrition label on the drink and see how the nutrients fit into your daily goals.
    We consume a lot of protein in our daily diet to begin with, so with these drinks, it is just protein......no better than any other.