20 lbs down!!

I've only lost about 1/3 of the total weight I want to lose, but I'm still very excited about the accomplishment! What I'm more excited about is the physical changes that I've seen in the past three months. I've lost over 17 inches along with the 20 pounds (holy crap!).

Last year I was mostly bedridden due to my on-going battle with Fibromyalgia. Doing things like walking or basic chores would cause me intense and debilitating pain. Sometimes the pressure of clothing would cause me pain. It's something I wouldn't wish on anyone, ever.

Earlier this year my doctor and I tried an unconventional medication regime and amazingly it worked. However, during the two years I was sick I gained 50 lbs from the inability to move, poor diet, and side effects from medications. Even though the pain was mostly gone my mobility and strength had dropped significantly. At first I couldn't even walk half a mile. But I made myself work out at least 3 times a week, even if only for 20 minutes, and kept pushing through the physical hurdles. I started to keep track of the food I ate and logged everything. I realized that what I considered to be a portion of food was significantly off, and that I really wasn't getting the right amounts or kind of nutrients.

Now, I'm aware of what I eat and that not all calories are equal. I don't starve myself or make anything "off-limits", but I do have certain foods in moderation. My workouts last for an hour or more, I can walk 4-5 miles without stopping, jog for over a 1 mile without stopping, and countless other milestones. I've begun strength training to build up muscles while I continue losing weight, and while the amount I can lift now is low, it's getting better as time progresses.

It. Is. Awesome.

tw9M8EK.jpg

Right Arm: 16"
Ribs: 41"
Waist: 42"
Hips: 47.5"
Right Thigh: 28.5"
Right Calf: 18"

qNujmRG.jpg

Right Arm: 15"
Ribs: 38"
Waist: 38.5"
Hips: 45.5"
Right Thigh: 26.75"
Right Calf: 17"

QHGQQw6.jpg

Right Arm: 14.75"
Ribs: 37.25"
Waist: 38.5"
Hips: 44.75"
Right Thigh: 26"
Right Calf: 16.5"

Replies

• enkmom
    enkmom Posts: 61 Member
    Congratulations! You are doing an amazing job and look great. :)
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    You're doing great :) keep up the hard work lady!
  • BeckyLF05
    BeckyLF05 Posts: 115 Member
    So proud of you!!!! Keep on keeping on! You are awesome! :):flowerforyou:
  • AccioFitness
    AccioFitness Posts: 244 Member
    Thank you everyone!! I feel a bit frustrated that I didn't take a picture the week I started and my measurements. By September 11th I'd already been working towards my goals for nearly three weeks! (I started at 222 lbs)

It's bizarre to think about how much my body has changed since just this summer. But a good kind of bizarre. :)
  • Don't say "only 1/3", that's an incredible accomplishment! You can see the difference in your pictures!

Sorry to hear you've been through such a tough time, but it is very inspiring what you've done. Keep on going, you're donig great!
  • AccioFitness
    Don't say "only 1/3", that's an incredible accomplishment! You can see the difference in your pictures!

Sorry to hear you've been through such a tough time, but it is very inspiring what you've done. Keep on going, you're donig great!

Thanks! I keep forgetting how much 20 lbs really is; it's so weird knowing its off my body and the affect it must have caused.

I've had Fibromyalgia since I was 14 (or rather I was diagnosed at 14). I was put on a intense steroidal treatment plan for nearly a year while in high school which it put the disease into remission, so I led a fairly active and normal life. But in 2007, a few months after my son was born, the signs and symptoms of the disease came back and by 2009 my quality of life was horrible. It took a lot for me to finally end up bedridden. I fought back because I knew it's wasn't the life I wanted for myself.

As of now I still get intermittent flare ups that will have me in bed for a few days, but nothing as bad as it was before. However if I miss one or more dosages of any medication (and there are many, trust me!) I start to decline rather rapidly. It takes 6 medications taken daily/weekly at different times to have me up and functioning, but I am up and functioning and that's the biggest thing. At first workouts would cause almost the same amount of pain that my illness caused because my muscles were so unaccustomed to working/moving. It sucked raw eggs. It was worth it though; getting through that first major hurdle was the hardest step and since then it's been almost a game to see how far and how hard I can push. :D
  • MissySpring
    MissySpring Posts: 442 Member
    Good for you! I also have an autoimmune disease which makes moving difficult, Rheumatoid disease. I know making that initial push is so very hard. Kudos to you for persevering!
  • AccioFitness
    Good for you! I also have an autoimmune disease which makes moving difficult, Rheumatoid disease. I know making that initial push is so very hard. Kudos to you for persevering!

RA can be hell for the person dealing with it. I hope your able to do the things you want in spite of your illness. :) Are you having to do anything presently to help manage it or are you in remission (if you don't mind me asking)?

You're right, that first push is the worst. I spent the first 3-4 weeks questioning whether I was truly sane for causing myself more pain. My doctor kept saying "it gets worse before it gets better," but I'm glad he didn't tell me how long that "worse" bit was going to be, lol!!
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    You do so much!!! It's incredible. You go, girl :D

I think I'm happier about new things I can do without hellacious flare-ups (chronic pain - neck/back) than I am about losing weight, lol. Your weight loss is awesome, but I'm super impressed with how active you are! So cool.
  • AMAZING!!!

You are doing such an amazing job! you look great in every picture!! hopefullly i can follow down the road youre on and look just as amazing :)
  • blably
    blably Posts: 490 Member
    yaaym awesome! great progress babe!
  • sarahertzberger
    sarahertzberger Posts: 534 Member
    It's crazy how much different you look, and you look like you feel so much better, you can see the glow in your skin, you just look healthier great job on the loss!!
  • RachelRuns9
    RachelRuns9 Posts: 585 Member
    you look GREAT! and I love that your smile gets progressively bigger :) Keep up the good work!!!!
  • AccioFitness
    You do so much!!! It's incredible. You go, girl :D

I think I'm happier about new things I can do without hellacious flare-ups (chronic pain - neck/back) than I am about losing weight, lol. Your weight loss is awesome, but I'm super impressed with how active you are! So cool.

Oh yeah, I definitely am happier about my ability to do normal day-to-day things and be active than I am about fitting into a smaller sized jeans. Slimming down is just a perk, haha!
  • UCME77
    UCME77 Posts: 17 Member
    Awesome !
  • Nelliemay420
    Nelliemay420 Posts: 6 Member
    Great Job! You can totally see a difference. I think seeing the photos really helps to keep the motivation going! I can't wait to post mine :)
  • AccioFitness
    Photos are definitely a motivator for me, Nellie. It helps to see -- really see -- just how far I've come. It gives me that extra boost to go another 10 minutes or to push just a little bit harder. Because I know a huge chunk if those changes between each photo are from all the hard work and sweat I'm investing into my body.

I don't give myself he opportunity to make excuses, I can see the results in front of me from my finally stopping all the excuses. :D
  • svsl0928
    svsl0928 Posts: 205 Member
    Keep up the good work. Looking Good!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!