What should my daily calorie goal be.

I don't think I'm eating enough. I have low energy most days. Let me give a little info on myself. I'm 44 and I weigh 206 at 5'6". I have lost 11.2 pounds my first month. I don't work so I'm pretty sedentary. I do go to the gym 6 days a week and do about 1 to 1.5 hours in cardio and weight lifting. I need more energy. Please look at my food diary. I eat pretty clean with the occasional chipotle salad. I want to be healthy but really don't know much.

I don't want to be sedentary I just don't have the energy. I manage my workouts and not much more daily.

Should I be eating more carbs? Less fat? What? Help?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Between 1700 to 2100 total calories. Macros around 40% carbs, 30% protein and fats. And do not eat exercise calories. Btw the foods you are eating looks pretty good. You might just need a few more calories. I suggest adding a bit more protein but you are probably close to .8g which isnt bad
  • tottie06
    tottie06 Posts: 259 Member
    I would try upping the protein.
  • slywon
    slywon Posts: 85 Member
    One quick and easy thing that I can suggest is drink PLENTY of water. I looked at a few days in your diary and saw none. Water will fill you up to curb hunger. It will increase your metabolism and energy levels etc.etc. My method may not be the best or only way but I try to have three cups with my mid-morning snack, three cups with lunch, three cups with my afternoon snack and two - four with dinner and post evening workout.
    Good luck!
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    I'm 5'6" and started at 210 lbs. I'm younger than you, but spend half the time at the gym (good work! I am just too busy to fit in an hour and a half in a stretch). I've lost most of my weight eating 1500-1600 calories/day. I also eat back some or all of my exercise calories (depending on how sure I am on the accuracy of the burn count). Are you taking a multivitamin? And definitely drink tons of water.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    I'm 44 and I weigh 206 at 5'6".

That comes in with a BMR of 1400ish and a non-exercise TDEE of 1700ish. Your spinning estimates look very high. Can you run 7 miles in one hour? If not, I'd be cutting those in half.

All combined, it looks to me like you're eating pretty close to maintenance. Are you consistently losing weight?
  • Chandanista thank I actually do drink water a lot. I just don't log it. That and the two cups of coffee in the morning are the only liquids I ever drink. I haven't had any soda or diet drinks or the such in 10 years. :)
  • Thank you for the advice. My spinning calories come right off my Polar ft40 watch. My calorie burn is high I think because my body is in shock! Lol I mean my heart rate is always beating at a high rate. Now that I have been going to the gym for a month nearly everyday my heart is beating slower. I do see the calorie burn is dropping.
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    I would definitely adjust your macros... you are feeling hungry because you aren't getting enough protein and your carbs are really high. I would do:

40% carbs
    35% protein
    25% fat

Hope that helps and good luck to you!!
  • I'm 44 and I weigh 206 at 5'6".

That comes in with a BMR of 1400ish and a non-exercise TDEE of 1700ish. Your spinning estimates look very high. Can you run 7 miles in one hour? If not, I'd be cutting those in half.

All combined, it looks to me like you're eating pretty close to maintenance. Are you consistently losing weight?

Wait what?! I'm eating close to maintenance! My base calories is 1,200 and I eat back some of my exercise calories. Are you saying I should be working out more, eating less?? I lost 11.2 in 30 days so far but have no energy.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    I lost 11.2 in 30 days so far but have no energy.

Well, there goes the "maintenance" theory. :smile: Doing a lot of exercise and running a big caloric deficit at the same time is hard on the body. It may be that you could do with backing off a little on one or the other.
  • psuLemon
    I'm 44 and I weigh 206 at 5'6".

Wait what?! I'm eating close to maintenance! My base calories is 1,200 and I eat back some of my exercise calories. Are you saying I should be working out more, eating less?? I lost 11.2 in 30 days so far but have no energy.

You are not eating close to your maintenance.. Even if you eliminate some of the water weight you lose, then you are still probably averaging 1.5-2 lbs per week. Averaging around 1500 calories a day, that means your TDEE is 2250 - 2500 calories, which is why I suggested 1700-2000.
  • Denise0621
    Denise0621 Posts: 27 Member
    I would consult a doctor I was feeling the same and I found out I had thyroid.

• You are not eating close to your maintenance.. Even if you eliminate some of the water weight you lose, then you are still probably averaging 1.5-2 lbs per week. Averaging around 1500 calories a day, that means your TDEE is 2250 - 2500 calories, which is why I suggested 1700-2000.

Ok thanks. I changed my calorie intake and adjusted my metrics. You sound like you know what you are talking about and I took your advice. Thank you
  • psuLemon

You are not eating close to your maintenance.. Even if you eliminate some of the water weight you lose, then you are still probably averaging 1.5-2 lbs per week. Averaging around 1500 calories a day, that means your TDEE is 2250 - 2500 calories, which is why I suggested 1700-2000.

Ok thanks. I changed my calorie intake and adjusted my metrics. You sound like you know what you are talking about and I took your advice. Thank you

Thanks, I am very good with math. If you have more questions, feel free to post.
  • samrockrocks
    samrockrocks Posts: 251 Member
    I would consult a doctor I was feeling the same and I found out I had thyroid.

A thyroid problem, you mean?

We all have thyroids.... haha.