Chinese Food

Options
SpecialKitty7
SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
I need some help for Thanksgiving. Every year my family does not do the traditional American Thanksgiving (basically we got bored). Instead we pick a country and our whole meal is of their native foods (as in, not the Americanized version). This year we've chosen China and I figured I'd ask the nice MFP people of some of their favorite Chinese foods. I don't necessarily need recipes, as I've checked out a bunch of cookbooks from the library. Anyone have any ideas? Appreciate it!

Replies

• TheFangsKittie
    TheFangsKittie Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Lemon chicken can easily be adapted to make a low cal version :)
  • meg1126mm
    Options
    I make an amazing Peppered Steak!!! Which can be made low-sodium and with brown rice.
  • CKendell79
    CKendell79 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Homemade won ton soup is my absolute favourite!!! It's fairly simple and once you get the hang of it you'll prefer it to take out. Note cook won tons In a separate pot before adding to soup b/c the flour will thcken your broth of you don't. And you can substitute ground turkey with the pork and low sodium broth for an even healthier version. Ps. What an absolutely fantastic idea for the holiday!
  • LB2812
    LB2812 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I need some help for Thanksgiving. Every year my family does not do the traditional American Thanksgiving (basically we got bored). Instead we pick a country and our whole meal is of their native foods (as in, not the Americanized version). This year we've chosen China and I figured I'd ask the nice MFP people of some of their favorite Chinese foods. I don't necessarily need recipes, as I've checked out a bunch of cookbooks from the library. Anyone have any ideas? Appreciate it!

I have nothing to add to your question, I just wanted to say I think that's the coolest idea ever!!!!!!!! :smile: :drinker: :heart:
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options

I have nothing to add to your question, I just wanted to say I think that's the coolest idea ever!!!!!!!! :smile: :drinker: :heart:

I second this! That is quite possibly the coolest idea ever!
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Egg rolls!
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I think it's funny that you're asking for Chinese Food help and your main pic is a cat.

:huh: :laugh:
  • keeptehpeace
    keeptehpeace Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/jan/19/recipes-under-5-yakisoba-noodle cheap, easy to make in bulk and tasty! also there's a bunch of lemon chicken recipes that are low cal
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options

I second this! That is quite possibly the coolest idea ever!

Thanks you two!
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    I think it's funny that you're asking for Chinese Food help and your main pic is a cat.

aww, man....didn't even think about that!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    hot and sour soup i could live off of that
  • Malaylah
    Options
    I do that for Christmas, we did Chinese food last year. Try egg foo young is the best! basically a giant omelet with gravy, beansprouts, whatever meat and veggies you want! Everyone loved it.
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I have no clue, but I'm coming over
  • Corjogo
    Corjogo Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    We have done that for one of the big holidays for years - it's really a fun thing to do! Enjoy your chinese.
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Orange chicken can easily be made "clean"
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options

aww, man....didn't even think about that!

:) I laughed at this also.

I think this is a great idea. I don't have time to post a recipe at the moment, but I'll try to remember this 'bump' and get back to you.
  • skyekeeper
    skyekeeper Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I make Sesame Chicken in the crockpot from time to time. Got the recipe from here in the forums and it is really good.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I really love steamed dumplings! If you stick with vegetarian ones, they really aren't that caloric!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    this is my favorite sesame chicken recipe. if you like lots of sauce, just double the sauce recipe

http://www.food.com/recipe/sesame-chicken-44321

and this is the recipe i use for general tso.

http://deep-fried.food.com/recipe/general-tsos-chicken-164706

both can be made as an entree, or as an appetizer.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of Mapo Tofu, Salt and Pepper Pork Chops, Ong Choy with garlic, Japanese Style Tofu & Black Bean Short Ribs.