any other college women at ~290 lbs? or used to be?

Options
My name is Emily, I'm 20 years old. I want to talk to other women around my age who are (or used to be) around my current weight of about 290 lbs. I gained a lot of weight due to issues with depression in high school and my first two years of college, and now I'm trying to get my weight down to a healthier range. I've lost nearly 20 lbs from my highest weight just from walking more and making most of my own meals, and my ultimate goal (which could very well change) is to be 130 lbs not too long after my 22nd birthday in June of 2015. It's a tough goal, but I find that I'm most motivated when I'm working towards what I really want rather than a small goal that I don't have to work as hard to achieve.

Aiming for 2 lbs/week loss, which right now means eating ~1600 cal/day depending on whether or not it's a cardio day for me. I love cooking with local (Minnesota) ingredients, eat an omnivorous diet, will never part with my olive oil, and always seem to have trouble eating enough carbs.

I have mild prehypertension (it runs in the family, as does type 2 diabetes which I do not have) but no other significant health issues as of yet. I'm hoping that with a healthy diet, lots of moderate exercise, and steady weight loss I will be able to reduce my risk of developing a lot of the illnesses and disorders that are very prevalent in my family.

Replies

• ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Ah, you're me 6 years ago! I was 290 when I was in college (damn, now I feel old...). Congrats on all you've done so far! Feel free to add me if you'd like a cheerleader :)
  • briana12077
    briana12077 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Hi Emily! I'm at about 250 right now but I've struggled with weight loss my whole life. I gain weight really quickly and it can be a downer. I'm the same age as you so I'd say we have a lot in common haha.
  • Sarahnade42x
    Sarahnade42x Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Hi Emily! I was up to 250 in college about a year ago but managed to turn things around since then (although I still have a ways to go). I honestly didn't believe I could do it at first with all the college/work/stress, but I did, and I definitely think your goal is achievable if you take it a week at a time. Sounds like you've already made some awesome progress..just stay committed and you're good to go! :) (also, go MN!)
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    i'm 23, 254lbs right now. Not in college though!

I started at 340lbs about 7 months ago. :o
  • mamadukes23
    mamadukes23 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi Emily, Im Ashley nice to e-meet you lol. I am 23 years old a mmothr of 3 and in college. But I too unfortunately am greatly over weight currently hovering from 276-280. My current goal is to drop to 250ish by christmas a tough goal but im trying . I was at 315 my highest weight and I have been battling my food addiction ever since . Good luck with your weight loss journey :)