Egg Casserole Really Fills You Up!

Options
Brandolin11
Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
I like to make big egg casseroles on Sundays and eat on them for the week. They are delicious, satisfying, and best of all - versatile so you can switch up the ingredients on a regular basis and will never get bored!

Here are the basic ingredients you'd use each time. I'll talk about suggestions of what types of these foods to use next.

1. Veggies of any variety, cooked (make sure to drain out any liquid that may have been yielded by veggies like mushrooms, tomatoes, and spinach. Veggies must be DRY otherwise you get that watery liquid coming out of your completed casserole and its annoying. But don't throw that liquid away! I suggest stirring it into the egg mixture for flavor! The science is totally different when you do that - i.e., it doesn't create the excess liquid in the bottom of the pan.)
2. Meat of any variety, cooked
3. Shredded cheese of any variety
4. 4 extra large eggs
5. 8 extra large eggs - egg whites only
6. 1/2 C. low fat cottage cheese
7. Spices and/or herbs of any variety
8. Salt and Pepper

-Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees.
-Spray a 9 x 13 pan with Pam cooking spray (I use a glass pan)
-Sprinkle the veggies and meat evenly over the bottom of the pan.
-Sprinkle the shredded cheese over that.
-In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, egg whites, cottage cheese, and spices/herbs/S&P until completely mixed and fluffy. Putting them in the blender works best, IMO.
-Pour the egg mixture over the veggie/meat/cheese in the pan and bake for 20 mins. Carefully open the oven door (it gets puffy and you don't want to flatten it) and check the center of the casserole. If it's still wet, put it in for 5 more mins. Keep doing this until the center is still fluffy but done and the sides are golden and *slightly* pulling away from the side of the pan.
-Let it cool then cut into six huge pieces. They keep beautifully for about 4-5 days. I usually put 4 in the fridge then freeze the other two. They freeze nicely.

I'm not giving you quantities of meat, veggies, and cheese because this recipe is designed for you to decide exactly how many calories you want each slice to be. Thus, you will have to adjust your ingredient quantities based on that final number. So what I do is put all the ingredients in a recipe on MFP first, look at how much it comes to, and if the calorie number is too high, then I adjust quantities of the meat and cheese. Hopefully that makes sense.

Okay, here are some ideas. :)

Crumbled Morningstar sausage patties + Sauteed garlic, onion, mushrooms, and spinach + sharp cheddar cheese + Italian seasoning, sage, and garlic salt

Crumbled Spicy black bean veggie burgers + steamed bag of southwestern frozen veggies + roasted poblano pepper + chopped fresh cilantro + monterey jack cheese + taco seasoning

Cubed ham + sauteed mushrooms, scallions, and broccoli (or, a steamed bag of California veggies) + swiss cheese + one Tbsp brown mustard + onion salt, dried mustard, garlic powder

Smoked salmon + sauteed spinach, red onion, garlic, capers, and tomato + cubed up goat cheese + fresh sliced basil, garlic powder, and onion powder

Cubed chicken apple sausage + roasted cubed sweet potatoes or butternut squash, onions, and apples + monterey jack cheese + sage, rosemary, oregano, garlic, and onion powder

I did something REALLY daring once - don't know if you like Hawaiian pizza, but I made a casserole like it once! Cubed ham + sauteed onion, mushroom, spinach, and PINEAPPLE + mozzerella cheese + I stirred some pizza sauce and lots of italian spices and garlic powder into the eggs! It was weird but DIVINE.

P.S. - you can make the above recipe into little individual mini-quiches as well! Just do the exact same thing but put the stuff in muffin tins instead of a 9 x 13 pan! When I make these, I adjust them to be 100 calories a piece and they make a FANTASTIC little snack. They taste good hot or cold, too.

Hopefully this is giving you some ideas and inspiration to get creative with your own ideas!

Replies

• lousoulbody
    lousoulbody Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Yummy thanks for sharing!:drinker:
  • MandysChange
    MandysChange Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have been using your recipe this week for my breakfast. It is the best and healthiest breakfast casserole I have ever ate. I used Morning Star Sausage, asparagus, four eggs and one container of egg whites, green onions and Mexican shredded cheese. It is sooooo yummy! Thank for sharing it with me. I have already shared it with my friends locally. :)
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I have been using your recipe this week for my breakfast. It is the best and healthiest breakfast casserole I have ever ate. I used Morning Star Sausage, asparagus, four eggs and one container of egg whites, green onions and Mexican shredded cheese. It is sooooo yummy! Thank for sharing it with me. I have already shared it with my friends locally. :)

That is FANTASTIC! I never get sick of it, seriously.

I totally forgot to tell you that I have another one you put oatmeal in - yes, seriously, oatmeal. It makes this insanely fluffy egg souffle that has lots of fiber and is even more satiating. I'll have to dig that up....
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Thank you:)
  • TheLadyBane
    TheLadyBane Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Replying to save recipe! Thanks!
  • Sandysfree
    Sandysfree Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Will it taste okay without the cottage cheese? Cause I don't like cottage cheese.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Will it taste okay without the cottage cheese? Cause I don't like cottage cheese.

Im sure you can substitute for like a half cup milk or 3/4 cup
  • hopperem
    hopperem Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Sounds really good!
  • punkyjones
    punkyjones Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Saving this!
  • mamacoates
    mamacoates Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Yum! This sounds DE-LISH. Will have to try it this weekend!!
  • FlamencoGal
    FlamencoGal Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    BUMP!! I can't wait to try this!! I am definitely a savory breakfast gal. No sweets!!!
  • Glowiie1
    Glowiie1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    THis looks absolutely fantastic!
  • jennifercasas
    Options
    This is exactly what I have been looking for with the holidays approaching. Exactly what herbs/spices do you recommend though?
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what I have been looking for with the holidays approaching. Exactly what herbs/spices do you recommend though?

Look above - she outlined suggestions for several varieties. :)
  • LosinItAll2012
    LosinItAll2012 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    It all sounds Yum!! Thanks!
  • angelfish257
    angelfish257 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    bumping this so I can find it again!
  • Chris14867
    Chris14867 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sounds good!
  • manders7969
    manders7969 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to try this!
  • bloominheck
    bloominheck Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Great ideas! Thanks for sharing.:flowerforyou:
  • marketing13
    Options
    I started doing this a few years back. I always called it my crustless quiche. I use egg beaters plus a few eggs. Never thought to use cottage cheese. I can't wait to try adding that. Freezing it is a good idea too. To make it a little more special for the holidays, I'll make it with the shredded hashbrown potatoes. More calories, but it's worth the splurge.