Alcohol will affect lose weight?

Options
I'm on a diet, but I love to drink, drink a little every day, high-calorie wine do?Thank you!

Replies

• patrickfish7
    patrickfish7 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    A diet? That implies you intend to come off it at a later date. Or do you mean a lifestyle change?

As for the wine (or alcohol) it will affect your ability to lose weight but only if you abuse it.
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Heres how i think on this one, if your not a professional body builder or fitness model etc dont go to extremes, eat & drink, just in moderation. Try and keep a basic idea of what youve drank calorie wise, and be aware of that when it comes to your weight loss for the week.
  • labtech666
    labtech666 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I love a drink!
    I just make sure to log it and to allow for the booze when I'm deciding how to use my calorie allocation for the day.

Doesn't seem to be affecting my weight loss.
  • robinso5
    robinso5 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I love a drink also....if I have one I account for it but it doesnt over power me. If im over because I have one, its okay....atleast for me it is.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Yes the calories from alchohol affect weight. Weight loss comes from eating less calories than you burn.
    You can allow for the calories and stay within your daily limit and lose. It is all a matter of how you want to spend your calories.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is a depressant. What that means is that in addition to the calories, for a period of time after consumption, your body functions--including metabolism--are slowed. So it's a double whammy in terms of negatively affecting weight loss. Still, in moderation nothing is bad.
  • mizzpositive
    Options
    I also enjoy a drink and find if I cut out all that's yummy I quickly fall off the wagon yet again!!!!!!!! :embarassed: as i'me counting calories this time I'me making sure I have enough cals for a drink now and again, so enjoy your drink cheers,:drinker: as they say a little of what you fancy does you good ..
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    When your body is attempting to metabolize alcohol and food that have been consumed together, it will use the energy from the alcohol first and store the food as fat. Because the body perceives alcohol as a poison and because it cannot store the energy from alcohol, its first priority is to eliminate it, while digesting and processing the food becomes secondary. That means your meal gets stored and synthesized as fat while the alcohol gets burned off.
  • sammieloft91
    Options
    Red wine is actually suppose to be good for ur health. all alcohol must be consumed in moderation. I drank vodka once in a while wen i was losing weight wen i started at 178lbs and i still lost weight that was way before i joined myfitnesspal
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    When your body is attempting to metabolize alcohol and food that have been consumed together, it will use the energy from the alcohol first and store the food as fat. Because the body perceives alcohol as a poison and because it cannot store the energy from alcohol, its first priority is to eliminate it, while digesting and processing the food becomes secondary. That means your meal gets stored and synthesized as fat while the alcohol gets burned off.

source?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    < only drinks on weekend and when I do i account for it....
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options

source?

agreed... below is a good article on alcohol and weight loss. If you aren't losing weight it's because you are consuming more calories than you think.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options

bull****

<- drink every weekend
  • lambchoplewis
    Options

Source is LiveStrong but here is another article from Spark People. Mayo Clinic and Pennington Biomedical also confirm this metabolism of alcohol
    hol is metabolized differently than other foods and beverages. Under normal conditions, your body gets its energy from the calories in carbohydrates, fats and proteins, which are slowly digested and absorbed within the gastrointestinal system. However, this digestive process changes when alcohol is present. When you drink alcohol, it gets immediate attention (because it is viewed by the body as a toxin) and needs no digestion.

On an empty stomach, the alcohol molecules diffuse through the stomach wall quickly and can reach the brain and liver in minutes. This process is slower when you have food in your stomach, but as soon as that food enters the small intestine, the alcohol grabs first priority and is absorbed quickly into the bloodstream.

As the alcohol reaches the liver for processing, the liver places all of its attention on the alcohol. If you drink very slowly, all the alcohol is collected by the liver and processed immediately—avoiding all other body systems. If you drink more quickly, the liver cannot keep up with the processing needs and the alcohol continues to circulate in the body until the liver is available to process it. That's why drinking large amounts of alcohol (or drinking alcohol quickly) affect the brain centers involved with speech, vision, reasoning and judgment.

When the body is focused on processing alcohol, it is not able to properly break down foods containing carbohydrates and fat. Therefore, these calories are converted into body fat and are carried away for permanent storage on your body.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    While this is mostly true, in respect that the body metabolizes the energy from alcohol first, it doesn't mean that we get fat consuming alcohol. Protein elicits an insulin response which promotes fat storage, but these metabolic mechanisms happen on a continuous basis all day and it's our total calorie consumption and energy use that finally dictates weight gain or loss. basica;lly account for the calories and you'll be fine.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I log every bit of alcohol I drink. Wine included. I just make sure that I have room for it. In fact, I had mentioned on another thread that I need a bumper sticker that says, "Will workout for wine," LOL.

I also eat ice cream. All things in moderation.
  • Vivian06703188
    Vivian06703188 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Moderation is the key. If after you have given it a go everyday with the alcohol and are not losing weight, try only drinking on the weekend and see if that does the trick. (it usually does) Drinking everyday is not very good from a weight loss point of view or a health point of view either. Best of luck to you!
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    150 ml of generic white wine is 122 calories. Depending on your daily calorie goal and how much you want to drink then yes, alcohol affects your weight loss.
  • Chelkb
    Chelkb Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I love wine! That being said, I used to have a glass or 2 every evening. It really is empty calories so now I save it for weekends. I log it and try to work it in to my calories for the day. As everyone said before, everything is good in moderation.
  • LunaInverse
    LunaInverse Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I love wine and drinking. That being said I always limit myself to two. If I'm out somewhere, I immediately ask the bartender/waitress to tab me out after receiving my second drink, and if I'm at home I just stop. I take medicine for ADHD that doesn't really jive with alcohol, so two drinks is really all I need to be feeling warm and toasty.

But to answer your question, yes. It definitely will affect your weightloss, but only if it's in excess.