I got me a Fit Bit!

Options
I am very excited and curious to see what it tells me......HOWEVER...

It's saying I've already burned like 600 cals since I got up this morning....is this true?

I did the whole set up and synced it, and charged it last night......

Replies

• bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I put a Fit Bit on my Christmas list. Hopefully my BF will get me one. I would like to count my steps my everyday.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Fitbit starts at midnight and calculates basically your TDEE at sedentary. When I wake up I have about 400 calories for my calorie burn from midnight to 7 am. It gives me 11 calories per 15 minutes when I'm not moving.

It will keep adding calories as the day goes on taking in your movements as well as your TDEE number that it calculated. If you do an hour of exercise it will give you a big plus adjustment but then if you sit for the next 8 hours you'll lose some of that again. You never really know until midnight how your whole day is going to come out.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    You burn calories just being alive. Track it for a few days...you'll see the patterns emerge. (I love my Fitbit!)
  • Jillian130
    Jillian130 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Your body burns calories whether you are moving or not. Just to exist you need to burn calories so I would say its so far correct. Each time you take a step and move your body in some way, you are obviously burning more then at sedentary.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Enjoy it! Which model? If it's the One, be very careful with it. It's really easy to send them through the washing machine when they're clipped to your clothes. I think you're somewhat less likely to do it if you wear it clipped to your bra. I've had one for 4 years but have probably only worn it 15 months total, but still, that must be a record for not losing or washing one!
  • 1166pw
    1166pw Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love my fitbit! Never go anywhere without it, I am sure you will love it too.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I'm on my secone fitbit ( a one). I love it!
  • djwife03
    djwife03 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I have the ULTRA!

So, if I run tonight, I just take what my calories said at the start of my run, and then what is says at the end, and take the difference as my calorie burn during my run?
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    You can do that or you can hold the button down for 2 seconds before the run and after it, to record a 'trip'.

Are you sure it's an Ultra? They don't sell those anymore, they say.
  • iheartbiology
    iheartbiology Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I find for runs, it's pretty accurate, so I don't bother logging with MFP, I just let FtiBit report it to MFP.
    As for the calories burned so early in the morning, it predicts calories burned for the first week or so until it "learns" your activity pattern. Then that +600 in the AM may turn into a -200 (like mine says each morning.) It's great for me though, it like an early morning reminder that I need to move my butt today!
  • djwife03
    Options
    Well, I bought if from a friend, so they probably don't make them anymore, LOL! she had it a while, and never used it, so I bought it from her. I was still in the box! it came with the arm/wrist band, the charger, and the little "docking" station thing! Then I went onto FITBIT.COM and did the set up!
  • KrissyKris10
    KrissyKris10 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    love my fitbit. It's nice to see how my mileage has progressed over the months
  • djwife03
    Options
    I find for runs, it's pretty accurate, so I don't bother logging with MFP, I just let FtiBit report it to MFP.
    As for the calories burned so early in the morning, it predicts calories burned for the first week or so until it "learns" your activity pattern. Then that +600 in the AM may turn into a -200 (like mine says each morning.) It's great for me though, it like an early morning reminder that I need to move my butt today!

Gotcha! yes, that makes sense!

thank you!
  • mymonty
    mymonty Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I also bought my fitbit from a friend. My is the 'One'. I totally love it. I don't leave home without out AND wear it to bed and track my sleep patterns.

I know walk to and from the Go Station (train station) instead of drive and aim for $10,000 steps a day. I am up to be 3-4 days of $10,000 steps. I really have to get moving on the weekends as vegging on the couch is hurting my weekly totals.

You'll LOVE the fitbit. I know I don!

Wishes for great success for all of you out there using it.
  • djwife03
    Options
    So, once I figure this thing out, how do I figure what my daily calorie goal is? or if my current calorie goal is accurate?
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    So you posted this around 930 in the morning, 600/9.5 is about 63, * 24 is about 1512...

So Fitbit seems to think your BMR is around 1500, does that sound in the right ballpark to you?

Your Fitbit will tell you what your TDEE is so far today, based off your activity level. Your TDEE while you're sleeping is pretty much your BMR.
  • djwife03
    Options
    So you posted this around 930 in the morning, 600/9.5 is about 63, * 24 is about 1512...

So Fitbit seems to think your BMR is around 1500, does that sound in the right ballpark to you?

Your Fitbit will tell you what your TDEE is so far today, based off your activity level. Your TDEE while you're sleeping is pretty much your BMR.

I put it on at 7:30 this morning. and 1512 sounds about right, based on my stats and such. I have my calorie goal at 1610, right now.
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options

I put it on at 7:30 this morning. and 1512 sounds about right, based on my stats and such. I have my calorie goal at 1610, right now.

Your Fitbit calorie goal will update throughout the day depending on how active you are. For a pound a week loss, it will try to give you a 500 calorie/day deficit.

Based off your daily activity level (and, relatedly, how often you're syncing), your Fitbit will guess what your likely burn is for the day and subtract 500 giving you your goal.

If you have your MFP and Fitbit accounts linked, your Fitbit will update MFP to how many exercise calories you can eat back, so both of them should be more or less on target, assuming you have the same loss goals set for both.