Calorie Differences?

Options
I'm sure someone has posted this before, but I didn't see anything on it. If it's been discussed, please point me in the right direction.
I recently started using the cardio machines at my college's rec center. The calorie burn counter on them is way different than what MFP says. I did 35 mins of cycling this morning and the machine only calculated a 104 calorie burn. On here for 35 mins at a moderate rate (I was sweaty when I got done, my legs hurt some) it says 364 calories. Which number would you go with? My first thought was to go with MFP numbers cause it looks so much better, but if I'm only cheating myself, that doesn't do me any good. So, any advice?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Unless you are using a personal heart rate monitor, I would go with the lowest number.
  • logansmom6106
    logansmom6106 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I use the number that I get off the elliptical not the number off of MFP. Its the same way with that like 140 cals diff.
  • trish1215
    Options
    Well first of all you have to make sure to adjust your weight on the machine so it is calculating the most accurate calorie burn for your body type. As long as you have that set correctly on the machine I would go with the machines calculations over MFP. I know that is a bummer in this case but most the time when I run I burn more calories on the machines than I do here. Thats my opinion. I hope it helps.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    MFP tends to overestimate calories burned. It does not take into consideration your weight, age, or heart rate. It is an estimate. Overestimate actually. The only true way to be accurate is to use a heart rate monitor set to your specific stats. Everything else is just an estimate. And you never know if it's estimating based on an older person, younger person, large person, small person, slow hr, fast hr, etc. Exercise machines that have you program in your age and weight and have you hold onto the handle bars so it can read your hr are a little more reliable.