Protein and Protein Bars?

Options
How do you feel about eating protein bars as your main source of protein? Do protein bars keep you full like lean protein would? I generally eat one a day (sometimes two), because I have a hard time eating lean meat.
Thoughts?

Any suggestions on protein bars, as well?

Replies

• samdoran7
    samdoran7 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You might as well eat Mars bars. Protein bars = glamourized candy bars imho.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Well, they are typically pretty high calorie - at least 200, though I don't think Mars Bars have 15g of protein.

Anyway, I think your question was something like, is it okay for protein bars to be your main source of protein. I am not a nutritionist, but that's not a good idea. You also say that you eat one or two a day... That is not enough protein. There are a lot of sources of protein besides meat. Do some research and good luck!
  • jess_1993
    jess_1993 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Bump! Because of work and school I dont have time to sit down and eat a meal, so I use protein bars as well!
  • Cole721
    Options
    I love Quest bars if I need a quick protein hit or snack as I'm running out the door. I recommend the brownie or the cookie dough and microwaving it for 10-15 secs MAX. It will make it much easier to eat and feels like a super treat :) The great thing about Quest bars is they aren't as full of sugar as other bars and they have up to 21g of protein.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Supplemental source? Absolutely. Main source? Enjoy your lack of vital nutrients.

The sad fact is humans still know very little about how nutrition works; I try to get as much as I can from food and use whey and protein bars as supplemental to eating good things.

If you "have no time to cook" but aren't working 20 hours a day, you need to re-prioritize some time for making healthy meals.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options

Candy bars with the added bonus of 20g protein so no, Mars Bars wouldn't be the same. I'll usually have a protein bar as a snack on lifting days to get extra protein in without having to eat masses of food and they're much more convenient to take on-the-go than protein shakes.
  • ronadams52
    ronadams52 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Supplemental source? Absolutely. Main source? Enjoy your lack of vital nutrients.

The sad fact is humans still know very little about how nutrition works; I try to get as much as I can from food and use whey and protein bars as supplemental to eating good things.

If you "have no time to cook" but aren't working 20 hours a day, you need to re-prioritize some time for making healthy meals.

I agree with this.
  • ronadams52
    ronadams52 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I will add this information from prior research into this area..

Best All-Natural Bar: Larabar
    Choose a truly all-natural Larabar, which only includes about six ingredients per bar. Larabar’s simple list of ingredients ensures you know what you're eating. Their website even illustrates each bar's makeup with images instead of words. It doesn't get much more transparent than that!

Best Pre-Workout Bar: Kind Bar
    Through the natural energy of nuts and dried fruits, these tasty bars ensure you'll power through your workout without a sugar crash in the middle. Don’t be put off by the 11 grams of fat. Kind Bars are full of healthy and natural fats that your body needs for optimum performance.

Best Post-Workout Bar: Fuco Protein Bars
    In terms of recovery, this high-protein bar is much more helpful. Fuco Protein Bars actually help your body continue to burn fat naturally, thanks to its 9 simple ingredients and fucoxanthin: a natural thermogenic (fat burner) found in marine vegetables that's considered extremely nutritious.

Best Snack Bar: Gnu Foods Flavor & Fiber Bar
    These healthy bars come in seven enticing flavors and provide nearly 50 percent of your daily recommended fiber intake. With 12 grams of fiber per bar, you're more likely to stay full without breaking the calorie bank (130-140 calories each). Moreover, they taste great!

Best Tasting Bar: Luna Bars
    Luna Bars are formulated with women's specific nutritional needs in mind, and they never skimp on creative flavors and combinations. When you want a bar that won’t offend your taste buds, Luna bars promise to give pleasure to your palette every time!

Best Meal-Replacement Bar: Probar Super food Slam
    With half the amount of sugar (17 grams), this Probar satisfies your hunger with healthy fats (omega 3 and 6) and 70-percent raw ingredients. Although this bar may appear to be high in fat, they're the healthy fats required to keep you feeling full until your next meal. Just remember, this is a total meal replacement, not a snack!
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I don't use it as my main source of protein but on an average day I have at least one protein bar - usually for breakfast or lunch. I see absolutely no problem with it if you pick the right ones. It may not be ideal or the best nutrition but there are certainly worse things out there for you.

I eat Pure Protein bars - the smaller size ones. they have about 190 calories and 17g of protein depending on what kind you buy. I think they taste great. They are relatively low in carbs.

I am a big proponent of natural foods being our best energy source but it's not always realistic. Other bars do not seem to fill me up as much as these do. They have an extra g or two of fat but I'm fine with that. Because I'm a real person I like to eat things that taste good.

And I still lose weight. I would try mixing it up though - what baout protein shakes? Milk and protein powder and yogurt? Huge protein. My favorite combo is vanilla yogurt, half a cup of milk, vanilla protein powder, and pumpkin pie spice. So good!
  • RachelRuns9
    RachelRuns9 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I have to also suggest Quest, which is the only protein bar I will eat. They're freaking delicious and have no added sugar, all natural and gluten free. You can buy them cheaper than at GNC from bodybuilding.com. I have one every day as my afternoon snack (170-210 cals).

Although I eat lean meat with every meal, as well as some dairy, it's not enough to get the numbers of protein that I want. Therefore, I also get most (most being more than half) of my protein from whey powder and quest bars at this point. At 1800 calories/day, I'm eating tons of meat, veggies, fruit, dairy,... so I'm really not worried about any lack of nutrients. I'm full, my muscles are growing and I'm losing fat. Oh, and did I mention they taste amazing? :)
  • Krista916
    Options
    I always keep on in my bag just in case, but don't use them regulary for meal replacment. I just use them in a pinch. I beleive mine are about 170 calories and 15-20 grams of protein.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I've been eating Luna bars and loving them. Oh my goodness, so yummy!

I use them as a quick, on the go, tide over between meals. Does the trick and keeps me from going overboard on other things.
  • bingefreeaubree
    bingefreeaubree Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Hey! So I have no problem with protein bars; I think they're delicious and they help me reach my protein goal. :smile: I'm a vegetarian so I don't eat any meat, so I have to find other sources of protein. I prefer to have protein bars as snacks or along with a lot of fruit and veggies at lunch. On their own they don't fill me up too much, but I don't think one small piece of chicken would fill me up that much either.
    If you're curious of others ways to get protein in, I get a lot of protein with greek yogurt. I get the Light & Fit Greek and it's 80 calories and gives me 12 whole grams of protein. I eat Luna protein bars, and they're double the calories but only have 12g of protein as well. So you get even more protein per calorie with greek yogurt. Also, beans are pretty high in protein. Chick peas, black beans, pink beans, lentil beans etc.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    If you're curious of others ways to get protein in, I get a lot of protein with greek yogurt. I get the Light & Fit Greek and it's 80 calories and gives me 12 whole grams of protein.

Try Fage 2%. 20g in eight ounces, good fats, and 170 calories. I've mixed it with flavored whey and psyllium to make puddings as well.