running question

Options
I have a very hard time breathing when I am running.
My body isn't tired but I can't breath after about two minutes. :ohwell:
I don't have any breathing problems (like ashma) but I think after not running for two years, I forgot how to breath. :laugh:
Any suggestions on how to breath when running?

Replies

• presariofaded
    Options
    I have a very hard time breathing when I am running.
    My body isn't tired but I can't breath after about two minutes. :ohwell:
    I don't have any breathing problems (like ashma) but I think after not running for two years, I forgot how to breath. :laugh:
    Any suggestions on how to breath when running?
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    i know you probably would mention it if you were,, but are you a smoker?

I think one of the best things i have been told in regards to this is finding your 'rhythm'

im sure that people who run more than i do can enlighten us both!
  • presariofaded
    Options
    nope, just a lot of second-hand smoke around me. (family) :ohwell:

thanks, i'll try that :happy:
  • jamieerindesigns
    Options
    I have the same issue but I found that chewing gum works SOOOO well for me, you should try it, it gives you something to consetrate on which then helps with breathing. Hope it helps!
  • pecksun8
    pecksun8 Posts: 570
    Options
    It took me three months to get the second hand smoke out of my system. Everyone in my family smoked and when I finally left and went to college, it took a few months to get it out of my system. I still had asthma type symptoms for a while after the few months of clean air, but it does and will go away, if you can get away from it.
    If you can get away from it, just keep exercising and breathing, you'll find your own Rhythm.
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    This is just a guess, but posture figures (a little) into how you breathe. Make sure you are not hunching. Shoulders relaxed down and back a little, chin up.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Hi pre,

VO2 max is a big part of ramping up running (VO2 max is basically wind). There are various ways to increase your wind as a runner, breathing exercises can help to expand the lungs, but there's no substitute for just getting out there and going for as long as you can.

One of the exercises I use to increase my oxygen capacity is to do shorter runs with breaks. When I say shorter, I mean like 300 yard runs at as close to a sprint as you can, it might take a few times to figure out how fast you can go, but you do 300 yards as hard as you can, then take a 2 minute break, then 300 again, break...etc for about 1/2 hour or so. After a few of these, you should be able to increase your wind by a good amount. If you're still pretty early in your running career, then you can go with lower distances. What you want to focus on is running until you are out of breath. Your body WILL adapt if you do this for an extended period. It should happen fairly quickly, I'd say after 5 or 6 times you should notice a marked increase in your wind.

hope this helps.
  • presariofaded
    Options
    okay. thanks guys, you are all so helpful! :flowerforyou:
    i'll be sure to try all those things. :happy: