Cant get enough protein some days

Options

Replies

• allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    If there is one protein powder that I swear by, its Allmax "Decadent Chocolate Milkshake" --- mixed with protein-fortified milk, crushed ice. Blend it all up and truly tastes like a dark chocolate milkshake. Doesn't have that protein-powder after-taste. I've had friends accuse me of "cheating on my diet" LOL when they see it.

Another trick that I got off the idea of SideSteel is to put protein powder in my pancakes. I love pannycakes! Trutein Cinnabun powder gives the pancakes a pleasant spicy flavor that's not overpowering while boosting up the protein. And they are delish!
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Everyone will have different tastes. I personally like EAS in chocolate. Can get a huge bag at BJ's for not a lot of money.
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I relate but have really been pushing to keep my numbers up. I just found this article this week and found it really motivational http://healthyliving.msn.com/weight-loss/should-you-double-up-on-protein-to-lose-weight
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    boneless skinless chicken breasts and slow cooked pork shoulder.... that is all
  • DerArschHut
    Options
    Okay... ;) how much do they cost ? are they expensive? because im on a tight budget

If you are near a walmart and you are broke, check out the price on the body fortress stuff. Some people hate it, i think the strawberry tastes awesome with just milk. Talk to 10 people and they will all have different tastes. But from a pure price standpoint, give the body fortress whey a try. If nothing else, you will not waste 30+ bucks on a bucket of protein you won't use, if you don't like it.

Also, have you tried tilapia? it's not very fishy like tuna or salmon, but still has proteins.
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Whey protein powder, canned tuna, Greek yogurt.
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I usually struggle to meet my protein macro as well and mine isn't even set that high (104g) compared to some folks on here.
    My best advice is to plan your meals around protein and fill in the rest with other stuff. Even with this method, sometimes it's tough. My "go to" proteins when I'm low are 2% cottage cheese, lowfat plain greek with stuff mixed in, or a smoothie with the greek yogurt and protein powder.

I know today's going to be lower in protein because I just so happened to choose meatless meals for both breakfast and lunch.
  • stamos1
    stamos1 Posts: 18
    Options
    Thank you everyone im glad you shared your tips/ideas!
    Now i can go on with my dieting :)
  • april1445
    april1445 Posts: 334
    Options
    Sounds like you instinctively eat more vegetarian-style proteins. Check out vegetarian websites maybe. Also, you can get unsweetened whey powder which doesn't have all the scary stuff in it.
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    For a quick hit of protein have a scoop or two of whey mixed into a total 0% 170g greek yoghurt. Around 40g of protein in one go :)

Thanks for this reminder!
  • oestreichian
    oestreichian Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you're actually struggling and worried about not getting enough protein, then listen to what everyone has been saying and invest in some whey protein. I personally use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey (Extreme Milk Chocolate) which costs about $50-$55 for 80 servings ($.65/serving, not bad), with each serving containing 24g of protein and the BCAA's your body needs to carry the protein to your muscles.

As for your worries that using supplements will make you fat (based on your friend that got fat while bulking), don't worry at all. As long as you don't buy "mass gainer" type of protein (it will have carbs added into it, just check the nutrition label for low carbs), you have nothing to worry about. I recommend mixing it with milk and a banana immediately following a workout.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese and Greek yogurt, if vegetarian ...

Or it not, those + lean meats ...
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Carnivore is a meat protein powder. I love the chocolate flavor. I add a 1/4 cup milk for creaminess, 3/4 cups water, some ice, maybe spinach, a banana or peanut butter. It's delish.
  • scimitarslash
    scimitarslash Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Okay... ;) how much do they cost ? are they expensive? because im on a tight budget

If you are near a walmart and you are broke, check out the price on the body fortress stuff. Some people hate it, i think the strawberry tastes awesome with just milk. Talk to 10 people and they will all have different tastes. But from a pure price standpoint, give the body fortress whey a try. If nothing else, you will not waste 30+ bucks on a bucket of protein you won't use, if you don't like it.

Also, have you tried tilapia? it's not very fishy like tuna or salmon, but still has proteins.
    also if yuo can't stand the taste of protein powder, adda couple of scoops into you favorite smoothy and blend away. My personal favorite, two cups of ice, 1/2 Banana, 1 Tbs peanut butter, 1 cup Milk, 2 scoops protein powder, and optional a good squirt od chocolate syrup if the protein powder isn't already choclate. Blend well and enjoy. I can't harly taste the protein powder this way, even the wal-mart stuff
  • rileyhunter169
    Options
    Even a 200lbs athlete only needs about 100-150g of protein; you need nearly as much as you think you need from what the data shows. In fact; you can see performance and muscle gain off of 0.4g a day given enough carbohydrates are intaked. If your not hitting 160g; do not stress it at all. Assuming your 160lbs; the most you would benefit from is somewhere between 80-120g. You can go above that; but your just wasting money at that point. If you need more satiety; might I suggest more veggies? If you have trouble after realizing that; then I dunno what to tell you except to check consumer reports on whey (which you don't need at all), and to be wary of tuna (limit to 1-3 tins a week because of the mercury content). Frozen tilapia works well 20g for 100 calories, decently cheap. As a 190lbs male; I can get all the protein I need without powders, bars, shakes, even meat. Eggs, legumes, high protein grains and fat free dairy is the secret.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    What is your protein goal? It is kind of difficult to give feed back without being able to see your food diary.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    For a quick hit of protein have a scoop or two of whey mixed into a total 0% 170g greek yoghurt. Around 40g of protein in one go :)

good idea wish I had thought of that yesterday.....
  • almostanangel21
    almostanangel21 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I make smoothies with nonfat greek yogurt, mixed berries and a packet or two of stevia. 1/2 cup of greek yogurt has 12 grams of protein, the berries add fiber, and the whole darn thing is really delicious. :) Add a little water or milk if it's too thick.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Vanilla protein powder in orange juice is delishus
  • Imanido
    Imanido Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I always get in the day one or two pots of quark (fat free, 33g. of protein per pot). Also tuna is quite a good resource as well (in spring water or brine).