Something's not right. Please help!

Options
I've been working out and eating right for the most part of the past month and I'm gaining weight. Now weight alone doesn't scare me, but my body fat percentage is also increasing. I have an escali body composition scale and after a LONG time this morning my body fat percentage went up! What the heck is going on?

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Scales are not always accurate. Dirt, lotion, moisture, thick skin can all throw off the accuracy. Try calipers or other measurements.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Body fat scales are inaccurate and vary widely in readings. Ignore it. If your weight is going up it's probably due to water retention from new workout levels.
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Eating right does not mean you're eating at maintenance or a deficit. You're eating more than you burn and gaining fat.
  • A_new_Romi
    A_new_Romi Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thought a little info would help. I am 28. I currently follow T-25 workouts. Started that a week ago. Prior to that I finished fitness blenders low impact 4 week weight loss program. And prior to that I was doing a combo of Bikram yoga and cardio workouts including the elliptical. I am currently 164 lbs (been here for a month now) I consume approx 1500-1600 cals daily. My macros are set to 60% carb/20%fat/20% protein. My goal weight is 140 lbs.

Thanks all.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I've been working out and eating right for the most part of the past month and I'm gaining weight. Now weight alone doesn't scare me, but my body fat percentage is also increasing. I have an escali body composition scale and after a LONG time this morning my body fat percentage went up! What the heck is going on?
    Body fat scales are not particularly accurate. If you're dehydrated it will go up, if you have PMS it will go up. If you've been doing T-25 a lot and are sore it will go up.

Don't freak over small ups and downs.
  • A_new_Romi
    A_new_Romi Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm normally pretty calm about weight gain/loss esp when they aren't too much but I've been stuck at 164 lbs for a month now and when my body fat % increased this morning I freaked out. I'll keep working hard and hopefully this scale will budge!
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Thought a little info would help. I am 28. I currently follow T-25 workouts. Started that a week ago. Prior to that I finished fitness blenders low impact 4 week weight loss program. And prior to that I was doing a combo of Bikram yoga and cardio workouts including the elliptical. I am currently 164 lbs (been here for a month now) I consume approx 1500-1600 cals daily. My macros are set to 60% carb/20%fat/20% protein. My goal weight is 140 lbs.

Thanks all.
    How about getting those carbs to 40% then 30 fat, 30 protein? Maybe you are insulance resistant?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Thanks all.
    If it were me I'd do a 40/30/30. With either carbs or protein as the 40.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    well your diary isn't open.

Do you weigh your food?

Typically when you aren't losing weight it's because you taking in more then you are burning.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Your picture doesn't make it look like you've gained fat.

At-home body fat calculators are really fickle. I've heard that simply being a little dehydrated will give you a crazy reading.
  • RawCarrots
    RawCarrots Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food? Every single thing?

With your stats (28yo, 5'3 and 164lb) I get BMR 1445 and TDEE for sedentary 1733. I'm not sure how much your exercise is burning but if you don't weigh your food it could be that you are accidentally overeating
  • RawCarrots
    RawCarrots Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Another thing is to take measurements if you haven't started already. My weight fluctuates quite a lot while measurements tend to be more consistent