ok guys here we go

Options
Hello everyone I am 36 and I am at about 365 the heaviest I have ever been in my life. my goal weight is around 275. I am doing this for my health and for my family. I am a school teacher and a coach. Please any help you guys can provide would be helpful. I just want to know where to begin.

Replies

• delizabetrujillo
    Options
    Hello! I can completely sympathize with you. I'm 32 and was at 320 at my heaviest. It took me 8 months to get down to 290 while trying to figure it out on my own. I joined MFP at 290 and am now down to 254! I won't tell you that it is easy but you can do it! Exercise helps. Start small and work your way up. If you go over your allotted calories, don't stress. Just use that information to evaluate where you are consuming too many calories, where you need to cut back, etc. Well, good luck on your weight loss journey!!! I'm sure that if you are determined to meet your goal, you can do it!:happy:
  • okra77
    Options
    here is what I am having trouble with. What do i need to change my diet to?? I am so dumb when it comes to diet and things like that.
  • THECaptainObvious
    THECaptainObvious Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    It depends on where you think your problem areas are.. I for example cut out Mountain Dew and am drinking more water and trying to eat more fruits/veggies.. You can do it! Feel free to add me :)
  • vinny76063
    vinny76063 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    1st off your diet that is a huge part of it start throwing in your veggies, ground turkey in place of ground beef, chicken, & fish like tilapia ect..... drink lots of water no sodas or alcohol. Maybe start jogging or walking even if its just to end of street or just a few houses and back. It takes time & you need to be mentally strong, i'm no expert but thats how i started. (well i also went to gym and hit the weights from the get go)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I am 37 and my all-time high was 307, I used to weigh around 260-275 for many many years (more than a decade).

Honestly the biggest thing that has helped me is MFP! Logging calories. Knowing where I should be and hitting that target has helped me so much.

I've lost almost 100 lb in 5 years. It took 4+ years to lose the first 1/2 and only 7 1/2 months to lose the last 50 lb. That is because of MFP.

Yes, eating healthier is going to help you lose weight and improve your health in the long run. But DO NOT get totally overwhelmed right from the start. You can still eat the same food you have been eating, just be sure to log it and stick to the calories MFP sets for you.

I personally think your 275 lb goal is a PERFECT idea for now. That was my initial goal, too, to be around 260-280 range and when I reached that I felt very different.

Honestly from 260 down to 211 (current weight) I don't even feel that different (!) although of course I've gotten smaller. I bet once you get to 275 you will have decided on a new goal, but again I think 275 sounds perfect for NOW and will seem a lot less overwhelming than saying "Oh I want to be 210, 160, etc" Some people on MFP will disagree, but I think it's easier to handle large losses in smaller chunks.

Things that have helped me the most:

logging EVERY bite of food and staying JUST under goal every day on my calories and sodium, and watching other stuff a bit (mainly sugar and fat) but not being TOO paranoid about those.

drinking more water - I don't love it, but II have made it into a HABIT and sometimes by noon I've had four or five 8 oz servings w/o even realizing it.

eating breakfast. I have always been a breakfast eater, but now I eat the same stuff pretty much every day and NEVER go for fast food breakfast like I used to do. The calories may not be bad, but one breakfast burrito from a fast food place can suck up a TON of your daily sodium...no thanks!

trying to make the vast majority of my meals from produce and other unprocessed or less-processed food.

paying careful attention to the amount of condiments I use. If you gradually step it down, you will find that you need less and less to enjoy its flavor.

not eating anything I hate just because it's "good for me", but being SURE to try new foods along the way.

never depriving myself completely. I make Halloween candy or ice cream fit into my daily calories. I don't have that stuff every day, but I've had it a couple times per week EVERY week since I started MFP.

getting regular exercise even if it's nothing "major" or terribly strenuous. Progressively longer, brisker walks can do a LOT especially at a very large start weight. Don't get bogged down in all of the "lift heavy!" and "running, spinning, Zumba is the only way" posts...same with the fad diet posts.

measuring myself. Sometimes when the scale stops moving it gives me the motivation I need to see another 1/2" off my waist or hips.

I've also stopped eating beef, poultry & pork...95% of the time. I will occasionally have some shredded chicken in a wrap or something, but it's rare. I add this not because I think it's key to weight loss - for me it truly wasn't - but because for SOME people it does help.
  • okra77
    Options
    Thanks guys you guys have already been a help to me. When I played college football I was always around 300-315. I currently coach football and baseball so the activity is not a problem i can lift regularly. Here is where my sticking point is my diet.

Could someone give me an example of a 1200 calorie diet??
  • Ale8a
    Ale8a Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It can vary, eat what you like to eat but measure a little bit more, I always use 1 cup or 1/2 cup of whatever I want to eat to make it easier to control. This was yesterday....

Oh...by the way, always remember that if you workout you should eat more, depending on how many calories you burned.. Good Luck!

Breakfast
    Calories
    Fruit - Banana, 1 banana 110
    Fruit - Banana, 1 banana 110
    Nabisco - Oreo Cookie Snack Pack - 6 Cookies, 0.33 pack (2 oz.) 89
    Add Food Quick Tools 309

Lunch

Chicken - Breast, meat only, cooked, roasted, 1 cup, chopped or diced 231
    Homemade - Grilled Vegetables - Zucchinis, Peppers, Onions, 1 cup 100
    Add Food Quick Tools 331

Dinner

Minute White Rice - Instant Enriched Long Grain - 14oz - Rice -instant, 1/4 cup (dry) makes 1 cup cooked 100
    Hill Country Fare - Texas Style Buttermilk Biscuits, 1 biscuit 100
    Guadas Del Monte - Cut Green Beans Canned Low Sodium, 0.5 cups 20
    Gordon's - Crunchy Breaded Fish Fillets, 2 fillets 250
    Add Food Quick Tools 470

Snacks

Blackberries - Raw, 0.5 cup 31
    Strawberries - Raw, 0.5 cup, halves 24
    Add Food Quick Tools 55 13 0 2 2 8

Totals 1,165
  • booksgiver
    booksgiver Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Hi Okra, and welcome. It's going to be the best decision you ever make to participate in MFP and as others have said it'sa great tool to add to your arsenal. As someone who has tried every diet in the world, pills too, I "dieted" myself right up to 339. I'd lose 20, gain 30...lose 30, gain 50, on and on for years. I was always thinking in terms of a temporary fix but the the reality is that this is for life. One day at a time, but making concious decisions every day.
  • seltzermint555
    Options
    Thanks guys you guys have already been a help to me. When I played college football I was always around 300-315. I currently coach football and baseball so the activity is not a problem i can lift regularly. Here is where my sticking point is my diet.

Could someone give me an example of a 1200 calorie diet??

As someone over 300 lb, you should not be starting out on a 1200 calorie diet.
  • okra77
    Options
    if not 1200 calories what should my caloric intake be?
  • seltzermint555
    Options
    Set up your goals here on MFP and it will tell you how much.

For example, I started at 36, female, 262 lb...I think I had to start with 1600 or 1700 calories and then after every 10 lb loss it recalculates. Currently I'm 37, female, 211 lb and 1,410 calories per day (not including any exercise calories).

I am set to lose 1.5 lb per week. You can choose between 1, 1.5, and 2 I believe...good luck
  • bads1
    bads1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    +1 for what seltzemint said. I started at 379, male, 35 yrs old, and setup to lose 2 lbs a week. I think MFP gave me a calorie aim of around 2300.

I think the dirty little secret I found out (which helped me), was how 10 minutes of fairly hard exercise on the elliptical only equated to about a cookie's worth of calories. I do enjoy cookies...
  • valeriepaluszynski
    Options
    First, you do need to do the research to find out where all of your calories are coming from. Look up the calorie counts of the foods you eat most often and be honest about the size of your portions. For example, for me, a box of Triscuits is two servings, one today and one tomorrow. So that is about 600-700 calories in salty snacking at my desk. And it's not as if I skip lunch or dinner because I ate half a box.
    Next, you make some easy changes to reduce your calories. Obvious changes are drinking more water instead of high calorie drinks and counting out junk food portions - 3 cookies or 10 pretzels or whatever. I no longer keep boxes or bags of salty snacks at my desk. I put single portions in snack bags.
    Over time, make additional healthy changes. Choose grilled or baked foods instead of fried. NEVER skip breakfast and make sure it has protein and fiber to stick with you instead of just sugar and fat.
    The best exercise to start with is just walking.
    It is never a good idea to jump in with a starvation diet and hope to stick with it. It has taken a lifetime to get wherever we are and we need a plan that works for the rest of our lives.
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options

Here's a link that can help you work out how many calories you should start with. You will also find this in the link other link that I suggested you read.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options

As others have said, if you use MFP the way it's designed to be used, it will tell you. In the "My Home" page, click on Goals and then Change Goals. Then choose the Guided method. Answer the questions, choosing a weekly weight loss goal that seems reasonable to you, and MFP will calculate your calorie target.

The one thing to keep in mind here is that MFP asks for your activity level excluding exercise that you log separately. I spend 4-8 hours a week on my bike, and another couple hours walking. But I set my MFP activity level to "sedentary," because I log that exercise separately. A corollary is that you should make sure you're not overestimating exercise calories; MFP's database inflates calorie burns for many activities.

As long as you meet your calorie intake goal, you don't have to change what you eat. Just change how much. I haven't made any major changes to my diet since I started my weight loss in January. Breakfast is usually still toast and butter, but I have one piece of toast, not two, and less butter. I have a cheese course with dinner only a couple nights a week, not 4 or 5, and I eat smaller servings. I try to take seconds at dinner only if I am really still hungry and I have the calories left for my daily goal. But I haven't cut out any foods, only cut back, because I'm not going to make any changes I can't live with for the rest of my life.